“This hotel just keeps getting better!”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #83 of 467 Hotels in New York City
England
“This hotel just keeps getting better!”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I discovered this hotel a few years ago and this has become my hotel of choice for my yearly shopping trip to New York. The location is amazing, right between 5th Avenue, Empire State building and Herald Square, Macy's. The facilities are first class, with a great rooftop bar with breath taking views, including the empire state building dominating the skyline. The gym was nice to use in the morning, before the delicious buffet breakfast. With complimentary tea and coffee available all day, they have thought of every thing their guests might require. The rooms, are just the right size, not too small for the budget. It was my second stay at the Hotel Metro in April, and since my last visit the previous year, its good to see the hotel still looking great and improvements and refurbishments to some of there rooms being done. I'll be booking up again for November and this time I'm going to have to try the Metro Bar Grill next door as the menu looks fantastic.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Marseille, France
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed for one week in a double family room; one room with 2 double beds and a separate room with 1 queen size bed, and a bathroom with a shower and toilets.
We had free water and sodas in the fridge, as welcome gifts.
The breakfast is good and substantial.
The concierge is efficious.
During our stay, there was a party organized by the hotel, but we could not go because we had a show in broadway.
The hotel is very well situated, not far from all, and we are just under the Empire State Building, that we can see from the roof terrace.
The only bad note is the noise of the conditioned air, in the room, and even outside when we switch it off.
We recommend this hotel for a funny stay in New York

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jlbar
Manchester
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Me and boyfriend actually stayed here 25th May 2011 for 5 days.

I decided on Hotel Metro to stay for my 21st present after my auntie and cousin had already stayed here on separate occasions and said how good it was.

When we arrived in New York we took the Subway to a block away from our hotel by mistake - when there is a subway literally at the end of the street the hotel is on! We entered into the lovely reception and were checked in quickly. We did have to leave a credit or debit card as security if we ruined the room but thankfully we didn't :).

Room - Was huge! With a large comfortable double bed and large TV, big dressing table, comfy chair, wardrobe, easy to use safe and plenty or draws for storage. Bathroom was big and clean with a large walk-in shower which worked great. The bathroom also had a massive mirror in which came in very handy. And when we went it was boiling and the air con was brilliant.

PLUGS IN U.S - I took my hairdryer and GHD straighteners from UK and they didn't work over there. I think it was something to do with the voltage differences. My boyfriend went to reception to ask where he could buy straighteners from and reception were very helpful and I managed with a cheap pair. So please look into this if you are going, I know I would!

Location - it is situated a block away from the empire state and is in the middle of New York. Macy's is right down the road and the street a block away is full of great shops which arn't mad money. The subway nearby is great and so handy for getting round as it's so cheap!

Roof terrace - my cousin actually got proposed to on the hotel metro roof terrace so it is pretty special! You have the ESB right there for great pics and a bar with plenty of seating. But it can get quite busy so go up once it opens to guarantee a better seat.

Breakfast - it really sets you up for the day. It has a wide selection of bagels. breads, cereal, fruit, muffins, cakes, juices, tea & coffee to choose from. We went everyday. It does get busy but there was always a seat.

I could go on and on about this hotel because it is brilliant! Don't hesitate and book now. If I ever went back to New York, I would definitely stay here again!!!!

A fantastic trip in a fantastic hotel!

Room Tip: Marc Forgione Restuarant - fantastic Michelin starred but SO cheap! Brilliant!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wilsonchadd
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I travelled with my mum as a treat for her birthday. I booked the hotel online well in advance based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and on the location.
2 weeks before we travelled, I contacted the hotel to ask for an upgrade because of the reason for our trip. They willingly did this and also provided wine, chocolates, bottled water and a lovely handwritten card to welcome us.

We had a room on the 9th floor at the back of the hotel and there was no noise at all at night. It was ideal. The fridge was a big plus point. The bathroom seemed to be more recently refurbished than the bedroom itself but everything was ideal. The bed was really comfortable.
The continental breakfast was a real bonus and set us up for the day.

I do have to single out Jeff (one of the concierges) who was absolutely wonderful with all his tips and information. He is a real asset to the hotel!! Thank you.
We will definitely be back :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Average hotel, clean but pretty poor unfriendly service. Recommend staying at a much better hotel like " The Muse" though if you do stay here definitely ask for an internal room, no street noise! Also construction work currently being done at the back of the hotel, drilling started at 7am!

• Stayed July 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Thank you Hotel Metro for a very enjoyable stay. Everything was perfect from arrival to checkout. The hotel is so friendly and helpful. We were even given an upgrade free of charge. Our room on the 9th floor was really nice, the bed was huge and so comfortable. Breakfast was very nice with plenty choice to set you up for the day.. You could not ask for a better location as it is so central with shops, bars and restaurants so close by. The roof top bar is a great place to start your evening out, gorgeous in the evening sun. Thank you for making my visit for my 40th birthday so perfect. Hope to return to NYC and will deffinatley stay at the Metro Hotel again, Thanks again loved every minute of our visit .

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed in the metro for the first 3 nights of our honeymoon. We arrived at 3pm but where told we couldnt check in till 5pm. so we left our bags and went for a drink on the roof, which we had to get from the bar downstairs as they dont start service on the roof terrace till 5pm.
The veiw was excellent and we used the roof bar a number of times during our visit, which had a good atmosphere.
The hotel itself is only a block away from Maceys and the empire state building, excellently located.
Our room was a good size for a new york hotel, ok there wasnt loads of room and the bathroom was small, but the bed was comfy and it was fine for us as we hardly spent any time in it. The room was clean.
The buffet breakfast was very good, and there was plenty of choice.
I would definately recomend this hotel, it doesnt break the bank and a perfect base for a few nights in New York

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple