“Great Hotel, Great Location, Great Service all round”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #84 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Great Location, Great Service all round”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

You absolutely cannot go wrong with this Hotel. Simply brilliant.

Located in Midtown, it is within walking distance of many attractions (Empire State Building, Times Square, Rockefeller, Madison Square Garden) and also very close to the subway (R line for the Financial District for anyone wishing to visit 9/11 Memorial).

Service is friendly and prompt, the staff are awesome; Geoff the Concierge is simply a brilliant guy and will help you with anything you need. Matthew on the door is also very knowledgeable and offers good pointers of where to go for food or how to get to places you want to visit.

For those that use WiFi you cannot go wrong as it works perfectly and also if you need to check in your flight online for your flight back they have a small office space which you can use for free.

The rooms are well presented and well looked after and the bed is extremely comfy. The continental breakfast is also excellent.

You simply cannot go wrong with this place - I plan to visit NYC again sometime so I would definitely return here, everything is simply perfect!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Razzastuta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Wonderful hotel, great service, I had questions before making the reservation and had very quick email response and a very good value solution to my query. Typical American breakfast. Very nice pent house floor with direct view of Empire State building (also visible from my room!). Only blocks away from Macys. Central NYC is noisy at night but the bed was comfy enough.
Loved it! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Family suite - had two bedrooms!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Oden_Management
Fife,Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I arrived at the Hotel Metro on 18th November 2013 for a 4 night stay. Room 303, nice outlook, and good shower. All Staff were very friendly. Victor from maintenance was especially nice, looked time to chat when we met.Would stay again .

• Stayed November 2013
Review collected in partnership with Apello

2 Thank Baz427
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I visited NYC with my family for the first time from November 16th to 21st. The hotel was recommended by our travel company and it proved to be a great choice. It is situated close to Macy's and a short distance from the lights, hustle and bustle of Times Square.the rooms were spacious and very comfortable- great beds! There was a complimentary breakfast which consisted of delicious bagels, gorgeous muffins , breads, cereals, fresh fruit, juices, tea and coffee. I loved the free tea and coffee facility available all day! The lovely Art Deco style of the hotel with music of the era playing in the background added to the ambience of the hotel- I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New York who wants to stay in this area. The Empire State Building is just around the corner and if you go up to the roof terrace in the hotel you have a fabulous view of it especially at night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lynn C
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was my seventh stay at the Metro during the last five years. I have also stayed at other hotels during that period. The Metro has been the best of the bunch.

The best thing about the hotel is the location. Right in the shadow of the Empire State Building. Most of the sights of New York are within easy walking distance. There is also a subway station a few yards from door so getting uptown and downtown quickly is really easy. Transfer from JFK is straightforward. Take the AirTrain to Jamaica and then either the Long Island Railroad to Penn Station. Another option is to take the E to Forest Hills and change to the F for 34th St. Both of these methods are much quicker (and cheaper!) than by cab. If you are staying for a few days I recommend buying a seven day Metro card. At a cost of $30.00 you only need to use it 11 or 12 times to get your money back. Any extra rides are a bonus. In my experience, using the subway is by far the best way of seeing a lot of New York quickly!

As on previous occasions check in was swift and I am pleased to say I noticed that the front desk staff have become friendlier. Some staff in the past rarely made eye contact or smiled but on this occasion check in and check out were both a pleasant experience. Matthew the doorman has been one constant feature over the years and is worth his weight in gold. Always helpful and friendly.

The rooms I have used have invariably been on the small side without much room to store a case but they are clean. During the years I have stayed at the Metro not a lot has changed. In many ways this is a good thing but a bit of renovation would not go amiss as the décor is getting a bit faded and could do with brightening up. It is for this reason that I am rating the hotel as four stars. I have rated it as five in my previous reviews but I feel it has lost some ground against other hotels in the same price range.

The cold buffet breakfast is ok. Lots of bread and pastries. A room is not set aside specifically for dining, the lounge is used and it can be a bit of a scrum when busy especially when waiting for toast. Be prepared to sit on a settee with a low table to eat as there are a limited number of tables and chairs.

Complimentary tea and coffee is available in the lounge all day. This is great for relaxing after a hard day pounding the streets of New York.

I have never used the Metro Grill so cannot comment. I tend to use the many bars on 35th St. O’Reilly’s and Brendan’s are both fine as is the Heartland Brewery at 5th and 34th. Great beer and food.

Free Wi Fi in my room was fine but terrible when in the lounge. I could barely get a signal and had to give up on a few occasions. Aircon in my room was really old and noisy and couldn’t be kept on. On my last night I could barely sleep even with earplugs because of what sounded like the aircon in another room. Never had that before. Traffic noise is a problem in the front rooms especially on lower floors but at the side and back of the hotel it is fairly quiet. I emailed ahead to ask for a quiet room. I specifically gave a room number I had used before but received a very non-committal reply. When I arrived I was pleased to find I had been given the room I requested. I wonder why they couldn't have told me that in advance? Many other hotels I use are able to do so.

Overall, I can still recommend the Metro as it has so much going for it. If they would spend a bit of cash freshening up the rooms a bit it would be five stars again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back or side. Street facing rooms are very noisy especially when the garbage i...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ST1951
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed here for my girlfriend's birthday mid November. On arriving I was pleased to find the surprise champagne & chocolates I had emailed to order were in the room presented really nicely - thanks to Dean at the Concierge Desk for fixing this for me!

We arrived at 2.30pm and our room was ready - lots of hotels can leave you waiting. We had a Premier Queen room on the 11th floor - it was very clean & spacious enough for 2 people on a week's sightseeing trip. (Some of the other rooms may be smaller, but can't really comment as I didn't see them)
The bathroom was nicely finished with a lovely rainfall shower head. Tea & coffee maker and the complimentary soft drinks in the fridge are a great touch - not something I've seen in many hotels before but very welcome after an 8 hour flight - possibly not available in lesser rooms?

We headed straight up to the famed roof terrace to open the champagne and were greeted with a great view of the Empire State Building. The bar up there is closed during winter, but I think with some patio heaters it could be a money spinner for them.

After freshening up, we went to explore - Subway station & Macy's less than 500 yards away, 10mins walk to Times Sqaure and 5mins in the other direction to the Empire State Building. It was the perfect location for us. Being so central, there was some traffic noise throughout the night (sleeping with the window open) but you have to expect that in such a central location. There is heating and air con, so you could shut this out if necessary.

We only ate in the hotel twice - once for breakfast which was busy and basic - toast, bagels, muffins, fruit - but is included in the price, so not going to be a 5 course feast, if you want a big breakfast, head for Ruby Tuesdays or Brooklyn Diner, both just off Times Square. The other time we ate dinner in the Metro Grill, it was quite expensive but the food and service was brilliant.

Also thanks to Matthew the doorman who stored our baggage and arranged our taxi back to the airport - a really nice guy.

All in all a great base for sightseeing in New York, and we both agreed that if we went back to New York, we'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Premier Queen Room was a good size and had great little extra touches like the complimentary drinks...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pete M
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Very helpful staff. The roof top with a bar is a great space to relax and take it all in. The gym is small but sufficient. The breakfast is good. The location is what did it for me very close to the subway, times square, Empire State and Macys.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple