“Great hotel great location!”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #90 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Great hotel great location!”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Got this hotel through British airways. It was everything we needed for a short break in new
York. Travelled as a couple the hotel is very central and if you want to go downtown Manhattan etc there
Is a subway at the end of the street. Staff are very friendly there was even a
Complimentary cheese and wine night which was a pleasant surprise! Breakfast was ideal bagels toast cereal yoghurts fruit etc. Stayed on the 12th floor lovely size and clean room. Staff on reception very helpful and polite. Would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Charlotte M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
connecticut
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Enjoyed pleasant staff, Cheerful Desk person Gleen let me know that for some reason I had been "upgraded". So I didn't question room 406.

Smaller bedroom with queen bed not on 35th street might have been more quiet. I chose the one of the double beds by the windows instead.

Had noticed the rushing noise of the HVAC, an intrusive white noise. Then sometime in the night woke to the sound of a truck revving and banging and... When the HVAC startsup there's a scraping sound like a vent opening. Then around 4:30 am another truck not just going by but working at something...

Quality Inn is just across the street. Next time I'd ask. Didn't expect 35th to have that kind of traffic street noise; Higher and away might work.

And then! about 8am what sounded like a masonry drill started up in the next room. This construction? noise was off and on. I checked out at 9:30.

The Metro asks that you check out. I'm used to most places these days just leaving...

Instead of the common room coffee maker there is a very nice complimentary continental breakfast area just off the lobby.

I also like the bathroom amenities, these wide mouth attractive travel size bottles that I'll enjoy re-using.

Had a helpful enjoyable conversation with the concierge going in to breakfast.

Rooms were all clean and in top notch shape, good repair. I found the brown, beige maroon subdued, not bright not cheery.

If not for the noise and poor night's sleep, rest; a good experience.

Room Tip: I'd stay again but would be more careful about getting up and away!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank owl9
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Don't review too often, only when I feel there is something exceptional to talk about. In this case, the hotel was in a great location. You could not ask for much better if you want to be in the heart of Manhattan and pretty much walking distance to any of the iconic locations. Right next door to the Empire State building, 5th Avenue and Macy's. Plus, I wish the reception staff had told me about the amazing view from the rooftop of their hotel where you can see the Empire state building. At night time it was even more impressive. Room was clean. Staff were friendly. Concierge Dean was really helpful and recommended some great restaurants and sorted out tickets to the Empire state building for us. Cons: The internet in our room was slower than dial up, and at times non-existent, on various devices we had. Didn't complain as didn't come to New York to be on the internet but if it is important for you then as I say it was atrocious and I've been to many hotels and B&Bs around the world and the internet connection has never been that bad. Secondly, it took about 5-10 mins for the water to finally get hot in our shower. Bad design too, as you have to get into the shower to turn it on. At which point you are sprayed upon by 3 different shower heads (one high above, one in front and a detachable one). I only mention this as therefore, you have to get drenched in cold water first to try and quickly turn the hot tap on. Then get out and wait 5-10 mins for it to get hot. Therefore, overall would still recommend the place but be aware the internet may be temperamental and I'm just hoping that the hot water problem was just my room.

3 Thank Matt G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have just returned from this hotel after a great stay. All I can say is it was fab and I cant wait to return. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Rooms were spotless and cleaned every day and breakfast was perfect for what we needed. It was the perfect spot for Macy,s an the empire state Building and the 3 irish bars on the door step were great.

2 Thank tracie m
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Perfectly located, perfectly clean. Very friendly staff, more than willing to help. Room was small but well equipped. Only gripe was a whistle and draught from the windows but soon remedied. Literally 2 minutes from empire state building and a brisk 5 min walk to times square. Subway at the end of street as well as macy's. Wouldn't hesitate to go back or recommend. We both loved it!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ginguar
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Excellent hotel and location. Staff very helpful and friendly. We were upgraded as it was my 50th birthday and nice chocolates were put in the room. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Breakfast was an added bonus

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pauline19642014
Rotherham
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We have just returned from a five night stay in New York and stayed at The Hotel Metro on 35th Street. Fabulous location for all the sights. We were upgraded upon our arrival as it was my 50th birthday present. We were on the 3rd floor and our hotel room looked straight out at the Empire State Building! The room was big, warm and clean with really comfortable beds. We used the lounge for breakfast every morning which was good value, lovely staff and it certainly set us up for the busy days ahead.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New York for its location. I would also recommend getting a New York Pass, it saved us a fortune. You must see Lion King on Broad Way, it’s excellent!!!
Our trip was wonderful and I would love to return one day. We would certainly come back to this hotel! A big, big Thank You to all the Metro staff

2 Thank Old-william