“We will be back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #84 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“We will be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for our honeymoon and it was our first stay in the city. We had one of the rooms located on the top floors. The room was clean, big enough for our need (i.e. Sleep), and had all the amenities necessary even more than what we expected. There was still some little noises from the street (we are in a busy part of the city) but it was not much of a disturbance as we were so tired after long walks. We also had a view on the Empire State Building from our bathroom! The breakfast was a nice complement to a start for the day, with a good choice of food. The staff was friendly and the hotel was Art Deco style.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vyvybrown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a wonderful stay in New York celebrating our first wedding anniversary. We stayed at the metro, and we couldn't have been happier with it. The location is absolutely perfect, right in the middle of the city, next door to the Empire State Building, directly between 5th and 6th ave. we like to walk and see as much of the city as possible and we were within walking distance of all the main attractions, from Central Park to Wall Street and everything in between. The staff were friendly and helpful. I had arranged, at a charge, for flowers to be delivered to the room on the night of our anniversary and they were beautiful. However, they also put us in a room facing the Empire State, which as an Englishman and first time visitor to NYC was stunning and set out complimentary bubbles on ice on arrival which was the perfect tonic for an 8 hour flight. The room itself was clean, had all the proper mod cons, a lovely big shower, iron, safe, free wifi. I guess if I was trying to find fault the breakfast was fairly limited, toast, mini pastries and cereals, but it was totally free and we hadn't expected breakfast at all so whinging about it would be pretty miserable of me. We wouldn't hesitate to book there again, thanks to all the staff for making our first anniversary so memorable.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tom H
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a short break late March. It's the perfect location to explore Manhattan, shopping on your doorstep, subway end of the street and lots more.
We were pleasantly surprised to find out we had been upgraded to a suite on the 11th floor, an enormous living room, big bedroom and good bathroom.
The breakfast is basic, bagels/bread/fruit etc, but it starts you off for the day, not many hotels in NY offer any sort of breakfast so it's always a bonus. Be warned it does get very busy and you can struggle for a table straight away.
When we visited the weather was extremely cold but we found the hotel and rooms to be very warm.
I'd recommend the playwright pub just up from the hotel, very friendly staff and a good spot for a drink or two. We also got some pizza from Cafe Rustico, a small Italian place next to here, more geared for takeaway rather than sit in.
Having done most of NY's sights on previous trips we opted for things we hadn't done before, I'd really recommend the 'High Line', it's a disused elevated railway line that runs from W30th street on 10th down to W13th street. Some great views, they really have spent the money well in my eyes, I can imagine it being even nicer in the summer.
If anyone is looking for a really nice restaurant for a special occasion I can't recommend the 'Spice Market' enough. It's down in Meat Packing district, although not the cheapest (what is in NY), it was delicious. Also, I was told about a place called the 'Burger Joint' on west 56th street in the Le Parker Meridien hotel. It's a weird joint, tucked away in a corner of the hotel lobby, with just a small neon burger sign tucked behind a curtain, unless you know about it you would never find it. Anyway, I can say I had the best burger I have ever had, very simple, they do cheeseburger and fries, not badly priced and very good.

All in all, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again, great place, friendly staff, everything you need, thanks again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EnglandNam
Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Got this hotel through British airways. It was everything we needed for a short break in new
York. Travelled as a couple the hotel is very central and if you want to go downtown Manhattan etc there
Is a subway at the end of the street. Staff are very friendly there was even a
Complimentary cheese and wine night which was a pleasant surprise! Breakfast was ideal bagels toast cereal yoghurts fruit etc. Stayed on the 12th floor lovely size and clean room. Staff on reception very helpful and polite. Would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Charlotte M
connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Enjoyed pleasant staff, Cheerful Desk person Gleen let me know that for some reason I had been "upgraded". So I didn't question room 406.

Smaller bedroom with queen bed not on 35th street might have been more quiet. I chose the one of the double beds by the windows instead.

Had noticed the rushing noise of the HVAC, an intrusive white noise. Then sometime in the night woke to the sound of a truck revving and banging and... When the HVAC startsup there's a scraping sound like a vent opening. Then around 4:30 am another truck not just going by but working at something...

Quality Inn is just across the street. Next time I'd ask. Didn't expect 35th to have that kind of traffic street noise; Higher and away might work.

And then! about 8am what sounded like a masonry drill started up in the next room. This construction? noise was off and on. I checked out at 9:30.

The Metro asks that you check out. I'm used to most places these days just leaving...

Instead of the common room coffee maker there is a very nice complimentary continental breakfast area just off the lobby.

I also like the bathroom amenities, these wide mouth attractive travel size bottles that I'll enjoy re-using.

Had a helpful enjoyable conversation with the concierge going in to breakfast.

Rooms were all clean and in top notch shape, good repair. I found the brown, beige maroon subdued, not bright not cheery.

If not for the noise and poor night's sleep, rest; a good experience.

Room Tip: I'd stay again but would be more careful about getting up and away!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank owl9
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Don't review too often, only when I feel there is something exceptional to talk about. In this case, the hotel was in a great location. You could not ask for much better if you want to be in the heart of Manhattan and pretty much walking distance to any of the iconic locations. Right next door to the Empire State building, 5th Avenue and Macy's. Plus, I wish the reception staff had told me about the amazing view from the rooftop of their hotel where you can see the Empire state building. At night time it was even more impressive. Room was clean. Staff were friendly. Concierge Dean was really helpful and recommended some great restaurants and sorted out tickets to the Empire state building for us. Cons: The internet in our room was slower than dial up, and at times non-existent, on various devices we had. Didn't complain as didn't come to New York to be on the internet but if it is important for you then as I say it was atrocious and I've been to many hotels and B&Bs around the world and the internet connection has never been that bad. Secondly, it took about 5-10 mins for the water to finally get hot in our shower. Bad design too, as you have to get into the shower to turn it on. At which point you are sprayed upon by 3 different shower heads (one high above, one in front and a detachable one). I only mention this as therefore, you have to get drenched in cold water first to try and quickly turn the hot tap on. Then get out and wait 5-10 mins for it to get hot. Therefore, overall would still recommend the place but be aware the internet may be temperamental and I'm just hoping that the hot water problem was just my room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Matt G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have just returned from this hotel after a great stay. All I can say is it was fab and I cant wait to return. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Rooms were spotless and cleaned every day and breakfast was perfect for what we needed. It was the perfect spot for Macy,s an the empire state Building and the 3 irish bars on the door step were great.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple