“Great Value and Service”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #97 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 March 2006

After reading the mixed reviews for the Metro, we weren't sure what we were going to see when we arrived. We arrived 7 hours before check-in, and the friendly staff stored our baggage, and invited us to take advantage of the breakfast buffet. The staff was awesome when it came to giving us directions and were always friendly.

The breakfast buffet is a bonus - delicious muffins, bagels, cereal, fruit, juice, coffee, etc. It was crowded at times, but a little patience is all you need. We also ate a meal at the Metro Grill. It was moderately priced, and the food was great.

Our room was clean and quiet. We expected a VERY small room from the reviews posted here, but we had plenty of room. Who visits NY to stay in their room anyhow?

The location of the hotel felt very safe. You're in the heart of the action - only 2 blocks to Madison Square Garden, and about 5 blocks from Times Square. You can walk anywhere in midtown from here. And there's a subway stop across the street in front of Macy's.

The only regret we have is that we went before the rooftop bar had opened - I bet it is lovely in the summer. We took advantage of it to take some cool photos of the Empire State Bldg though.

Again on our departure day, the hotel staff stored our bags after we checked out so that we could enjoy the city without carrying them.

I would recommend this hotel to friends and family. In fact - I already have!

18  Thank Heather S
Write a ReviewReviews (4,305)

Reviewed 28 March 2006

I booked the Hotel metro on a friend's recommendation and have been recommending it to folk since I got back. We had booked a normal Queen sized room but got upgraded to a double Queen. Not sure if this was because we had told them we were there to get married but if I was going back I'd want the same kind of room again as it was lovely and other reviews suggest that the smaller rooms are quite tiny. The beds were very comfy, plenty pillows and everything was spotless. Other reviews have said that rooms at back of hotel and on higher floors are the best, and that is where our room was and it was indeed quiet (I think this was the quietest hotel I have stayed in, not what you expect in the middle of Manhattan).
Staff were polite although not overly friendly, apart from the Hungarian woman on the desk who got very excited about us getting married. I think the 'attitude' is just New York, we found far worse examples of it in certain shops - Macy's being by far the worst.
Location wise we couldn't fault it, Subway station,buses, Macy's (if you like that kind of thing), Victorias Secret, Gap all at end of road in one direction, Empire State right there, and only 10-15 minutes walk up to Times Square and Central Park.
Complimentary breakfast was fine for us, we had expected to go out for breakfast but we enjoyed the huge muffins, pastries and bagels, with some healthy cereal, fruit and yoghurt to start.
We didn't expect to use the internet room, but since our mobile didn't work after the first day we ended up using it alot, and had no problems getting access, they didn't seem too strict about the 30 minute limit either, as long as no-one was wanting the key.

15  Thank scotfree
Reviewed 27 March 2006

Choosing a hotel in NYC is usually a trade-off between price, quality and location. Except that the Hotel Metro manages to balance these criteria and provide a good-value individualistic residence in a central but fairly quiet location.

The location is perfect for tourists. Much is walkable (eg. Times Square, Grand Central, Empire State, Maceys). Or take the subway from the corner of the block.

The rooms are spacious by New York standards. Some recommend booking the bigger deluxe rooms with their two queen beds. Although most of these rooms face inwards, that keeps them quiet. However the hotel is quietly smug about its fantastic roof terrace that sits directly underneath the Empire State Building, so my advice is to take the larger room and use it for sleeping and for storing the shopping, and then make regular trips to the roof (with its patio style chairs and tables) to experience a unique and exclusive rooftop vista.

There are several other good features. The staff are charming and helpful. The breakfast is good quality. There is complimentary tea and coffee 24/7. There is a nice gym with modern equipment.

The hotel bar is a separate business so guests cannot sign drinks to their room, however there is nothing to stop you taking those (expensive) drinks up to the roof. The barmaids are attractive (and they know it) so they tend to be snooty, but they can't stop you looking!

The Irish bar/restaurant (the one a few doors away on the same side of the street) is good fun and has good food. Hotel guests get 15% discount on food.

The Korean Restaurant at no. 55 'Cho Dang Gol' is excellent for veggies (home-made tofu) as well as for meat eaters. The staff are very helpful and enjoy helping guests through their first-time Korean experience.

Finally do go to 'Top of the Rock', fantastic views and great value for money.

23  Thank bonnie02
A TripAdvisor Member
washington, dc
Reviewed 24 March 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Metro in mid-March. Location is great, walkable from Penn Station even with luggage, even at night. Our room was large for NY, clean and comfortable. Our room faced the street and there was some street noise, but it didn't keep us up. There was a bit of noise from the adjoining room, but not intrusive.
The breakfast is good quality, with bagels and muffins from a bakery, fresh coffee, and a clean and comfortable dining area. We took advantage of free internet, computer and printer in the business center (20 minute limite, and sometimes a wait in the morning). There is a Duane Reade and a green grocer within 2 blocks, both of which we took advantage of. We ate at the Korean restaurant next door (open all night) late one night and found that food to be good as well. We booked this through Orbitz for $150 per night just a day in advance of our trip, and at that rate this was an extremely good deal.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 March 2006

My daughter and I were pleasantly surprised that this boutique hotel was better than we had hoped. Our double-double room was spacious, immaculate,with large windows,and pleasing decor. Lots of hot water for the shower. Staff is pleasant and accomadating(we were able to check in early). Breakfast ,in a room off of the lobby was quite good, with a choice of breads, bagels, muffins,cereal and beverages. On a short block between 5th and 6th avenue it is A great location, near the subway and walks uptown. We shall stay there again.

12  Thank capecodahanty
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 21 March 2006

I stayed at the Metro 11 years ago, The location is second to none, slap bang in the thick of it, Macy's to the right, 5th Avenue to the left, perfect and this was the deciding factor for a return trip to the Metro.

I was disappointed with the decoration of the hotel; it was shall we say "tired" and clearly hasn't had a touch up since my last trip. Having said that, the rooms were spotless, and cleaned every day. We were on the 12th floor with a great view of the Empire States. We had 2 double beds in our room; the bathroom was big with red hot water, a big cupboard for our clothes and cases and a safe. The fridge came in handy but it was very noisy in the night.

We didn’t have breakfast in the hotel instead we went out, we found a great place called Jimmy’s on 6th Avenue serving a huge variety of hot foods, which set us up for the day.

The Metro promotes Brendon’s Bar which is opposite the hotel; I would NOT recommend this place at all, and I suggest the Metro remove their association. The staff and service was appalling, we were made to feel grateful for getting a drink. After sitting us down at a table, it was apparent that the diners around us were not satisfied, so we decided to pay for our drinks and leave. We had a great meal in the Metro Grill next to the hotel instead.

I would definitely stay at the Metro again but would hope they’ve had a bit of a refurb by then!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 March 2006

With all the rave reviews this hotel got I was expecting a real charmer. What I got was a tiny room and very average service. No doubt this hotel has a great location and is clean but thats about it. If your expecting charm FORGET ABOUT IT! For three nights I ended up paying about $975, a bit steep for a tiny room and tinier bathroom. I could not help but think the Comfort Inn across the street must have been cheaper and offered at least the same level of accomodation (it would have been physically impossible for the rooms to be smaller.) Again nothing terribly wrong with the place, I was just expecting more based on all the great reviews. As for the much vaunted breakfast, OJ and muffins with some not so great bagels (I was born in NY I know bagels.) If it was cheaper I might come back, but as I doubt prices will be falling I will be moving on to greener pastures for my next visit.

9  Thank EARWashingtonDC