“Great location and free coffee!”
Review of Hotel Metro

Hotel Metro
Ranked #102 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 July 2007

Friends recommended us to this hotel and we are so pleased they did. Friendly staff, clean rooms and a great location near the Empire State, Macy's, Time Sq and the Rockefeller Centre.

The area immediately around the hotel wasn't great - lots of construction work so noise and dust but we always felt safe. The roof terrace was still closed for refurb although we saw little sign of any work going on. Our room overlooked the multi-storey car park so no view but clean and comfortable and the shower was wonderful!

One small criticism is their strict rules over the mini-bar and fridge. We didn't put it to the test, but the info says that if you even lift something up to look at it for more than 20 seconds, it will be charged to your room! Our supplies weren't filled until the third or fourth day we were there and so we hadn't realised there should have been more chocolate and stuff. They tried to charge us but we refused and they were okay about it. You couldn't use the fridge to store any of your own drinks (even water) at all.

The breakfast room got pretty full but it was a great not to have to go out to find breakfast. If anyone keeps kosher, there are two or three restaurants and a deli within a couple of blocks.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lemonadepocket

Reviewed 30 June 2007

I, like many of you, before deciding which hotel to choose, tend to spend hours and hours on places like this finding the best hotel for the money. I read a lot of excellent reviews of this hotel and on the outside sources the hotel's website mention. So, even tough this hotel was a little more expensive than the others I was planning to choose, I decided to book this hotel based solely on the reviews I read. The hotel is not bad but it's not the wonder people tend to believe. It is located in a block surrounded by chinese/korean commerce (of course, not the kind of place like Chinatown) but just regular bars and hotels but with a an almost 99% asian clientele. The room size is good from a NYC point of view, but the bathrooms are tiny. The very first day I used the bathroom, one of the towels tray went off and it stayed there my whole stay. I didn't care for asking in the desk for its repair but the cleaning personal saw that tray broken every day and they didn't have the iniative to ask for its repair. The hotel staff is neutral, nor friendly, nor rude, except one day when the staff at the desk was rude and uninterested. The hotel is clean and the bed is confortable, the complimentary breakfast is a plus. But let me tell you that I didn't find this hotel nothing extraordinary nor charming and I doubt I'll be back again because I know there are equal or even better hotels with better prices than this one. Hotel Metro is not as good as they want you to believe.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank miercoles
Reviewed 27 June 2007

Transform yourself into 'old Hollywood' in this beautiful, charming, not to mention economical for NYC coolest of hotels - not a chain with all the amenities of same - very special! Great location to so much. Cozy lounge - great martinis! We didn't want to leave! The staff are friendly, helpful and even fun. Our only regret was that the rooftop was closed for rennovations but from what we could see - what a view - feels as if you can reach out and touch the Empire State Bldg. Can't wait to go back for another stay!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank LOVENYCCleveland
Reviewed 22 June 2007

The decor is charming, the free breakfasts are excellent, our room had a walk-in shower and the staff is surprisingly friendly and helpful for NYC.

On the other hand, the neighborhood is a little creepy, esp. passing by the gauntlet of garbage piled high on the sidewalks every day and night. Don't be misled by "all new plush top mattresses" as I was - that apparently means nicer ticking, not pillow top. The bed was too hard for me. I awoke with back pain for the first time in many years. Minibar had only coca-cola and alcohol. Storing water, fruit, or juice prohibited with an electronic alarm to enforce it. Cheap plastic cups - no glasses. "Superior queen" sleeping room 10'x12', bath 4'x5', pretty small for 3.5* even in NYC. Roof deck closed.

Maybe all one can expect for the price in NYC ($310 weeknight) but next time I will try somewhere a little more expensive.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2007

First time in NYC in April. Booked this hotel after reading reviews on this site. I wasn't disappointed. Excellent hotel, breakfast very good. Bedrooms great. We were in a back room, didn't have a great view but the it was very quiet. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank taylorcat
Reviewed 16 June 2007

I stayed for a week on a business trip. The room was very clean and a little larger than I had expected for NYC. The room was very quiet from the outside noise,;didn't even realize I was in the city. The continental breakfast had more than just a bagel and muffin; it had fruit and yogurt as well. That was great!! Free interent was very nice. The staff was good.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank ShLyGo
Reviewed 7 June 2007

Excellent quality hotel, particularly for the price we paid. Staff was quick to help us with anything. Breakfast in morning was very complete (and allowed us to stock up on snacks for the rest of the day!). I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends