Astor on the Park
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$195
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
Soho Grand Hotel(New York City)
US$381
US$364
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$382
US$350
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$204
US$159
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$176
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$192
  • Restaurant
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$178
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$377
US$250
Official Site
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$308
US$262
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Archer Hotel New York(New York City)
US$324
US$299
Agoda.com
1,574 results
All reviewscentral park westcolumbia universitypark viewsubway stationrooms are smallthree blockstimes squarewest sidefew blocksbagelsbig appledelimanhattanave
Reviewed 31 January 2014

You will never mistake Astor-on-the-Park for the Waldorf-Astoria, but then again, your final bill won't hurt as much either. Located at the very northern end of Central Park West, the Astor presents itself as an alternative to the pricier hotels located further downtown. The second you walk in, you notice the worn condition of the lobby and the smell of disinfectant. I didn't anticipate much of a room, considering the nightly rate I was paying and what the lobby looked like. As I ascended the stairs (my room was on the second floor and the elevator is VERY slow), I noticed that the carpeting was much in need of replacement and the narrow hallways were dimly lit. Opening my room door, I was met with a small room with a flat screen on the wall, a worn wardrobe cabinet, an old-style radiator, and a bed that had clean linens. The carpeting in the room had a yuck factor, so I mostly kept my socks on. The bathroom was the big surprise. While there was a broken sink and some signs of repair work, it was updated at some time fairly recently. While it isn't the bathroom of my dreams, it was clean and comfortable. Two problems that did pop up were that hot water takes about 10 minutes to come up first thing in the morning and a towel that had two large holes and was fraying on the edge was placed in my room for my use. If I had a towel like that at home, it would either be used to wax the car or thrown out (see photo.) Also, I housekeeping failed to make up my room on the last day of my stay. Location is convenient to the subway (<3 blocks away), Museum of Natural History (1.5 miles, 3K), and some of the best quality for the price restaurants in New York on Columbus and Amsterdam avenues.
So, even though this hotel is very worn and has some aspects that are downright unacceptable, the price for the location ratio is quite high. The 2 most important things I look for in a hotel are a clean bed and a clean bathroom. The Astor-on-the-Park had both. Therefore, even though there is a major need for updating, I would stay here again if the price is well below other Manhattan hotels.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor so that you don't have to take the SLOW elevator. It's only a few steps up and down and will make it much more convenient for coming and going.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank roccoz18
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I suppose you need to know your own limits: saving money and an interesting location might make up for a sadly worn property, saved from being truly terrible by an accommodating and good-natured staff. It is clean: your bed will be comfortable. But the heating may go, the cable TV is likely to be out, and if you are past your youth hostel days you may find the level of discomfort not worth the savings. If your young and buoyant and have a reason to be on the Upper West Side, by all means try your luck.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank teezee
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel is to be avoided like the plague if you are the least bit fussy. The rooms are tired with furniture that is damaged or at best well worn. The state of cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired and general hotel facilities and services are almost non-existent. The staff tried their best in the circumstances and the hotel is fairly well situated overlooking the top end of Central Park. Although a high standard of hotel accom is not crucial in a City like NY the lack of it it certainly spoilt our holiday. The actual experience of the hotel in no way matched the visual impression given on it`s website. We accept that tariffs are reasonable but this is no excuse for the the standard of accom and serices offered. Should have really complained more whilst there but there did not seem to be anybody in authority to communicate with on this basis.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there try and opt for the top floors which are a later addition. However, we would not stay there again under any circustances and would not want to recommend it to family, friends or strangers!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank 214Forest13
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice, in 2012 and 2014, for a few nights. I basically agree with all that markmarkmarkmann said below; especially, plumbing could be irritating at night. However, considering price, location, cleanliness, safety, it is a safe haven in Manhattan, and I will give it 4 stars. I am going to stay there again when visiting Manhattan.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Serguei Z
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is a small hotel across the road from Central Park some of the rooms have no view as they look onto other buildings they rooms were warm and clean and the staff were friendly and helpful it's a short walk to the subway station which is a great way of getting around and to sight see in this wonderful city all said its a basic hotel good value and a good base to see New York

• Stayed: January 2014