“Worse than a jail cell!!”
Review of Astor on the Park

Astor on the Park
Ranked #394 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Worse than a jail cell!!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Just back from a 5 night stay in NYC, myself & boyfriend were booked into this hotel believing it was a great location right in the heart of city! This is not true! It's on the edge of Harlem right at Central Park but feels very unsafe as not many tourists about! We were booked in to the hotel for 5 nights but after the 1st night we left and booked into 1 at Times Square. The hotel is very basic and externally run down! The receptionist was very ignorant when we checked in (more interested in her mobile) there was a 10 min wait for the 1 elevator in the place! The corridors were very narrow & badly worn & dirty carpets! The room was the Pitts! It was barley 5 feet by feet! Dirty carpets & dirty windows with a lovely view of a brick wall!! No safe in the room and the place was just not what it looked like in the pictures! The walls are so thin you hear everything! Do not stay here you will be disappointed!! Pay a little more & stay in Times Square it was amazing down there!!

4 Thank Cheryl S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I really wanted this to be my go-to hotel in NYC since I travel monthly, but unfortunately it is not. The hotel is on the edge of Harlem and is pretty safe, although I recommend going home on the early side. The rooms are very, very small - but that didn't bother me too much because the bed was comfortable. All essentially was going well until the ceiling started leaking...rapidly....at midnight. We called downstairs and it took about 10 minutes for someone to come up. They had nothing to offer us, and did not try to stop the leak, so I called to ask for a new room. The new room was even smaller (it only fit the bed, no walking space) and was very, very uncomfortable. I went to the desk to tell him this is ridiculous, and he cared more about texting than my complaint. We barley slept and checked out the next morning. The new person at the desk offered me another room if I wanted to pay, saying she would "upgrade it." At this point we needed sleep and left. I would not recommend this hotel, even to those used to staying in hostels.

3 Thank Jlynnedaniels

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed at the Astor on the Park in New York for nearly a week in February 2014. The room was very clean and well kept, bed sheets changed every day, as needed soaps, shampoo and towels, has a flat screen TV with cable. It is not luxury but if your goal is to enjoy New York for a very moderate price, than Astor is a good place. Our room had a great view of Central Park, which you may get if you ask.
Area is safe and has plenty of small grocery and eating places. Great deli next door for breakfast with a Turkish flavour.Convenient bus lines are near by.
Elevator is small and a bit slow but that is a minor item to us.
We appreciated also the friendlly and helpful attitude.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of Central Park
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I got a top deal on this hotel. 9 nights for 500 dollars. I took the risk and booked it. I was quite nervous about staying at this hotel, as I always read the reviews.
I'm really thankful for the "bad" reviews as I was prepared to sleep in a "dirty hole". We brought two pillows and lots of earplugs (better save than sorry).
As we arrived the staff was very nice and helpful. The first ride on the elevator was quite the challenge, as we had to fit in it with three big bags. Yes the elevator is tiny but it was the perfect workout to go up and down the stairs every day. Didn't bother us.
The room wos tiny and cozy, it was totally clean (I began searching for dirt, didn't find anything). The bathroom was renovated, no broken tiles and very clean (much better than last years stay at the sheraton 4*).
The closet and the tv-board were pretty old and used, my boyfriend fixed the closet-door and it worked perfectly after that.
The housekeeping staff changed towels every day, which was very nice of them.
The heating system was pretty loud but I slept all through the night with ear plugs
The busstation for the M10 line is only a few footsteps away and the subway station a few blocks, there are plenty of stores and good restaurants in the area.
I really don't get all the bad reviews - the price is totally right on this hotel.

1 Thank Kerstin F
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I was booked into this so-called 'hotel' as a two-night interim stop-off as part of a package including two cruises either side of the New York stay. Thank goodness that it was only for two nights, as it was so grim and depressing that I could not wait to get out of the place within 15 minutes of setting foot in it.

The staff were helpful and friendly, the rooms were relatively clean, and I was offered the option of a 'smoking' room, which is quite a rarity in these authoritarian times. However, these were the only positives which I could find in favour of the place.

The Astor is situated right at the northern tip of Central Park West, so it is by no means conveniently or centrally sited. The subway ride into central downtown N.Y. took 15 to 20 minutes, while the transfers by cab involved approx. 40 minutes. I was booked in on a 'room only' basis, but I at least expected the opportunity to purchase a meal on the premises: not so! There were no dining facilities whatsoever, which to me begs the question: does an 'hotel' really merit the description of hotel if it has no dining room? Additionally, there were no tea/coffee making utilities in the rooms, and the only option to buy a hot drink was by means of a vending machine in the 'basement', which actually resembled a rubbish tip. In addition, the rooms were tiny, with very old and noisy radiators, and there were no chairs to sit on: one had to sit or lie on the bed,

This is the second-worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune of staying in, the worst being a hovel in Southampton, where I stayed overnight 3 years ago prior to a previous cruise. My advice to anyone considering staying in the Astor would be: steer well clear and don't even think about it.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms appear to look out over a very grim and uninviting courtyard, so I could not begin...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Philip N B
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We booked and paid to stay 3 nights, but we stayed only 1 as this place was so bad. Tiny tiny room, dirty sheets, the walls were paper thin and the whole hotel creeked all night because the heating was on full blast. Life is too short to stay in places like this. Spend the extra and enjoy yourself.

1 Thank chrisrowenet
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2014

For the price it was more than enough. The room was clean and warm (during a snow storm). The staff were very friendly and helpful and the location was excellent; right near the central park north entrance and near the subway.
No free wi-fi (about $10 a day!) the pillows were hard and too high, and the radiator whistled all night. The price was so cheap that it was well worth it though. Just bring your own pillow :D

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple