“Hidden Charm”

Ranked #391 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Hidden Charm”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Despite the mediocre accommodations, the staff is absolutely stellar. They let me store luggage even after I checked out, for more than 12 hours! Plus, they let me doze in the lounge while I waited for my ridiculous 3:40am shuttle ride. Even when there was a leak in our bathroom, they were able to move us immediately to a larger room. Decent rooms and location, great personnel.

Room Tip: Book early, rooms fill up fast.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank LindyHopped

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Kind of a unique location on the upper upper West Side. Although not centrally located, it's proximate to great sections of the park and subway lines. The staff was helpful with requests (iron, deli locations, etc.), the halls were threadbare with crumbling plaster and chipped paint and the room was the darkest and most claustrophobic I've encountered in my 30 years of living in and now visiting Manhattan. It seemed more like a $150 hostel slot than a $350 economy room. Tub was repaired with some sort of epoxy that had raised and blackened into an organic looking form, but the room was otherwise reasonably clean. I'm sure a CP view room in the front would have proved to be a better experience than our air-shaft portal, but this was by far the worst $300 - $400 room we have had in the City.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed at Astor on the Park for the Columbia University graduation ceremonies. I used Expedia but where they show the stars and price but hid the name. Graduation week also was the week before Memorial Day and all the hotel prices were charging a premium. The location was the best amenity for this hotel. It was walking distance to Columbia University, the subway, buses, and across from Central Park. Nearby there were lots of restaurants and a small grocery store. I was in Room 504 which had nothing wrong with it, though the room was small and cramped as one would expect in NYC. The room, furniture and bathroom looked like it was recently renovated. They provided a hair dryer, shampoo, soap and conditioner. There was a large flat screen tv, but I didn't even turn it on. Wifi was extra at $10/day. I used my mobile phone as a hot spot, so I didn't pay the fee.

Room Tip: Room 504 was fine. View was of inner courtyard, brick walls and other windows.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank KeenieBeans
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We had a room on the second floor at the end of the hall. We just needed a place to sleep. We arrived at night and left in the morning. The room itself was a tad rundown and basically outdated and there were various sloppy patches here and there on the walls. There was a large tear in the carpet. It was a small room with a TV that got a few channels. We could only find one outlet on one of the walls. There was no TV remote when we got to the room. There was a single chair in the corner. Onto this chair we simply piled our bags, since it was the only open floor space in the room.
The hotel is located way up at 106th street right on the park, but the room was quiet enough. The beds were comfy, but one had a slight sag in the middle.
Oddly, the bathroom was updated and was excellent.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade (for free) to a room with a view of central park, go for it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AllEars00
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife and I arrived on Saturday night for 3 nights US$259 + taxes per night. We were given room 211. It had to be the worst room I have experenced in 50 years of travelling around the world. The TINY room was dirty, the capet fifthly, the electric plug scoket was hanging out of the wall exposing the cables, the bathroom hand basin was broken, the bathroom tiles were broken, the very small bath tub was badly chipped. The small window looked out at a concrete wall. My wife was so upset she sat down on the bed and cried - there were no chairs to sit on - not enough room!
I went to reception to complain. The receptionist told me we would have to stay in this room until the next day - and perhaps they might be able to move us to another room. I asked to see the manager - she told me he was not to be disturbed. I told the recptionist we would not stay in a room not fit for a pig and requested she move us to another room. She said she was not allowed to do that otherwise she would lose her job. She said we could talk to their reservation centre - which I telephoned - this turns out to be a travel agency - however - the lady there was excellent - she talked to the receptioned and told her to move us to another room. This she did reluctantly.
The new room was larger - but it needs a lot of upgrading as does the whole hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank clarkemalaqerevillas
Lockport, New York
Reviewed 4 May 2014

5/2/14-5/6/14 4 days...I used Hotwire bidding upper west side for an unknown hotel of 2 1/2 stars ...$81@ nights = $324, taxes $38.72, occupancy tax $28.68, fees $27.61, Total $419.01...I was assigned to room 711...Small room, flat screen tv reception unwatchable, cd clock radio time would not set...Then water started leaking into the room, from the room above...judging from the water stains on the ceiling this is not the first time this has happened...I called the desk and reported the problem...I said to the desk clerk, she would have to send maintenance up to check out the source of a water leak that is now raining from the room above. This was clear water and did not appear to be waste water...I was reassigned to room 207. A much larger and more comfortable room...I have had great luck with Hotwire and will use them again...I do believe there are substandard rooms held for Hotwire customers in some hotels...As everyone knows, NYC is one of the most expensive cities, on the planet, to get a room...Anyways just a heads up for those of you headed to NYC...If you need a budget hotel...The Astor will do...Just decline room 711.

Room Tip: Avoid room 711....207 is a good room...Take the money you save on a would be more expensive hotel ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BuffaloET
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is a great place to stay if you want to be near Central Park as well as near subway stations without "breaking the bank." Room was comfortable with a nice bathroom which included toiletries with my favorite lavendar scent. A couple of cafes were within walking distance, so that's another plus. I'd stay there again because I like to get a bargain whenever possible.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of central park on higher floors.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business