“Great stay in New York City!!”
Review of Astor on the Park

Astor on the Park
Ranked #394 of 468 Hotels in New York City
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great stay in New York City!!”
Reviewed 29 April 2006

During our first trip to New York City we stayed at the Astor on the Park Hotel. The hotel was nicely located on the Upper West Side with Central Park right opposite and it was easily accessible to the Sub Way, which we found was a great way of travelling around the city! We found the hotel to be reasonable for the price we paid and was nice and clean. Our room on the 4th floor was of average size with a comfortable double bed, air conditioning, sky tv, wardrobe and a lovely en-suite bathroom. The negative points were the fact that the room could've done with a lick of fresh paint, and the view we had was of a brick wall opposite!!! Whilst staying in the hotel we did have a few hours of no hot water and no electricity, but needless to say it was all sorted straight away! The only facilities the hotel actually provides is tea/coffee & vending machines and also internet access. We found all the staff at Astor on the Park to be very accommodating and friendly, especially the doorman, Mohammed who gave us great tips and advice!!!! Overall i would say that the hotel was quite basic but was good for a base to sleep and change, which is all you need when you stay in New York City!!! We would definately stay at the Astor on the Park Hotel again!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maryland
Reviewed 27 April 2006

I found the Astor to be a very small, small hotel, eruo style furniture, carpet can do for an upgrade unless you keep your shoes on the entire time before getting into bed. Nice front desk staff, very helpful. Subsequently they had no hot water. If I pay two-hundred a night or two-thousand a night or even two dollars a night.. I expect to have hot water.. No explanation from the Astor. They are working on it.. ok while they work on the boiler .. than the Astor needs to work on this bill... The front desk has no access to the computers to make bill adjustments, etc.. Not a place for children, , Expect to pay for internet access if you bring your laptop.. The location was ok if you view the hotel from outside ..Overall. I will never advise or recommend such an horrific place to anyone.. Not even a doggie motel.. Learn from these reveiews..

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank mayasat

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Wombourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2006

After reading some of the negative reviews,we were as others have said a little concerned.But these worries were soon forgotten! The Hotel was ideal for what we required,granted the room was on the small side,but you had your own bathroom and shower and because you are out sight seeing all day,a bed was all you needed.
The subway was only a short distance away aa was all the shops/delis and resturants you needed for breakest or dinner.
The Hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful.All in all a memorable first time in New York!

5 Thank dazandangeforeva
London
Reviewed 6 April 2006

Despite reading all the negative reviews, I and 2 friends stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. Contrary to previous reveiws, all the staff were pleasant and helpful. The concierges were especially good - recommending local restaurants and trips.

Rooms are small, as in most New York hotels, and we were given keys to two rooms to choose which was best. After two nights the manager gave us a larger room which had become available.

Rooms and bathrooms very clean and there was no traffic noise from outside. No problems with noisy pipes either.

Hotel is ideally located for Central Park - directly opposite. It is about five minutes walk from subway and then about six stops downtown.

If you're staying at this hotel, there are some great little cafes, bars and restaurants within 5-10 minutes walk so you don't have to go downtown to eat.

If you want a good, value-for-money hotel in NY there's no problems with Astor On The Park.

7 Thank tarka00
Hialeah
Reviewed 4 April 2006

I was a little skeptical about this hotel after reading some of the reviews but my fiance and I decided to chance it. We booked the Astor for a long weekend Mar 30-Apr 2. We are both extrememly fussy and were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Lobby was a bit small but check in was a breeze. People at the front desk (on both night and day shifts) are very nice. Be careful with the doorman, he's a little pushy about bringing up your bags. The elevator is a bit small, only fitting about 4 average size people. I was extrememly suprised once I opened the room door. Yes our room was small, but it had a private bathroom and remember this is NEW YORK, if you want big, you gotta pay big. Everything, including the bathroom, was impeccably clean. Checked every single spot in the room before we decided it was perfect. Our room, 1005, has a small balcony facing out to other buildings. Not the nicest view BUT ok for us. The bed and sheets were comfortable and yes, we were woken up at around 6 a.m. on Friday morning to the rattling radiator but it only lasted about 5 minutes and didn't happen again for the rest of our stay. There is a subway station on either side of the hotel, which is perfect for getting around. It is a little far from all the attractions BUT with the subways so close, we had no problem with that. In the end, we actually prefered it that way after standing in front of the Hilton in Time Square @ 2 a.m. Check out was quick and they offered to make arrangements for a transport from the hotel to the airport at $18 p/p, which was not bad but we had already made other arrangements. To be perfectly honest, I thought it was a steal for $89 a night and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2006
11 Thank JfromMiami
Austin, TX
Reviewed 27 March 2006

I had a truly terrible experience at this hotel, and I am not very picky. Beyond the teeny tiny rooms and the pipe in the bathroom that was so hot that it literally burnt my skin, the radiator was making horrible noises during the early morning hours and when I asked the front desk to do something about it they told me that later that day their "engineer" was going to have a look at it. I told them that they could have whomever they wanted check it out, but that I didn't want to have to be awoken to it again. When I called the front desk again that evening to make sure that it had been taken care of they assured me that it had and sure enough the very next morning at 4:30 it started clanking SO loud that it woke me up, again. After calling the front desk to report what was going on and telling them that I wasn't buying the "engineer" story a second time, a guy came up with a bucket, and emptied the radiator of the water that was within. To top off the entire experience, when I was packing my bag to leave I saw a huge roach crawl out from under the bed. It really is that horrible and anywhere else is worth the little bit more you are going to have to spend.

Stayed February 2006
3 Thank QnChunkie
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 March 2006

I paid $81/night and got a double bed room on 3/10 and 3/11/06. When i arrived to check in, they only had me down for one night but thankfully i had a print out of my expedia confirmation. The staff called expedia and quickly resolved the issue with no problem.

The room was cheap for such a great, quiet location; there's a bus stop right in front of the hotel and there's a metro stop on 103rd st and 110th (the hotel is between 106th & 107th). The staff was friendly and was more than happy to assist with any request. The rooms were tiny (i would NOT recommend this room for anyone expecting to spend a lot of time in their hotel room) and there was no closet, safe or comforters on the beds - but you're in new york city so why would you want to spend a lot of time cooped up in a hotel room?

We used the room for sleeping and showering only. The room was neat and the beds & bathroom were clean. The staff was very helpful in arranging transportation to the airport during checkout; i took a limo to la guardia for $45 and my friend took a bus to the airport in New Jersey for only $20.

This room is perfect for those on a budget looking to spend their money on shopping and dining. Save your money for the cabs and stay at this hotel room! I would definitely stay there again - just make sure you bring a copy of your confirmation receipt!

Enjoy, and have fun in NYC! =)

• Stayed March 2006