“Makes me wonder why I ever payed out for NY hotels.........”

Oxbridge Apartments Carnegie Hill
London, United Kingdom
“Makes me wonder why I ever payed out for NY hotels.........”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

I stayed in apt.2B. It's a bit more shabby than the photos suggest but in my experience that's often the case. The Oxbridge is exactly what you would expect from 2* acommodation but remember its a self catering apartment NOT a hotel. I rented it when visiting family who live a couple of blocks away on 3rd and it was perfect. Very clean with plenty of towels provided, hot water at all times and VERY warm (in fact I resorted to sleeping with the window open!). Some of the mugs and plates in the kitchen looked a bit grotty so I got some plastic cups from a nearby supermarket and used them instead.

My only complaint: only a door separates the bedrooms of 2B and 3B which I found a bit disconcerting and my 'neighbours' woke me up a couple of times. however, having read the reviews on this site I had taken earplugs and it didn't really bother me - after all you are only staying there, not living there on a permanent basis! It makes me wonder why I ever spent my money on hotels........

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank r0sieee

Business
Turku
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

Loved the apartment!
It was clean (a bit dusty but didn't matter), cozy, quiet and very convenient. There is a bus stop just across the street and a tube station a couple of blocks away.
When I go again I will definately stay here before going to a hotel

• Liked — It was like having an apartment right in New York City!
  • Disliked — Stairs
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Laura T
Luxembourg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2008

My family and I just returned from a 5 day stay in NY. Over all the appartment 3B was ok, failrly clean (a lot of dust) and the appliances all worked.
When first we came in there was a terrible gas smell that made us open all the windows. I called Douglas Copper right away, he was friendly enough but wasn't ready to send someone out to fix the problem (7 PM). He suggested lighting the pilot light on the stove top which we did. Upon returning from an evening meal (having closed all windows on leaving) the smell was still there and no answer on the phone. The next morning we left a message at 9 (also there were not enough towels and comforters) and called Mr Cooper at 3. He said the housekeeper had looked after everything but the smell persisted. With the windows closed we had headaches and felt nauseous ....
I would not return to this appartment.
D. Koch

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank dkh1

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2008

I have just returned from a seven night family stay at this apartment and would like to share our experiences with everyone. Although the apartment does have some good points I would strongly advise against staying here because of the terrible customer service we received.

Basically we were charged over £200 by Oxbridge without notification for plumbing services to fix the bathroom toilet after we had informed them that there was a problem with the toilet drainage. We informed the contact person immediately after discovering that the drainage wasn't working properly and some time later were met by the contact person who refused to speak to us for over an hour whilst he checked the toilet out. With a very young child, we were left with no toilet facilities overnight before finally a plumber came to fix the problem the next morning. We noticed that several parts of the toilet had been changed by the plumber but the contact person again refused to speak to anyone about the problem, as he asked the plumber to go downstairs with him and sort out the details. Upon return to the UK we found out that approximately £250 had been taken from our account by Oxbridge.

I notice that several others who have stayed here have had similar problems with this company, including some who Oxbridge have tried to charge for similar problems with the toilet. The apartment has, in my opinion, some sub-standard facilities that are not properly working and in our case we were charged for informing Oxbridge of the problem. The big issue I have with this is that we weren't informed of the charges whilst we were in the US and so had no method of complaint.

I strongly advise people to steer clear of this apartment and choose to stay in another apartment or else you risk being charged unfairly in this way for something you haven't done.

With regards to the actual apartment, it is a basic, cheap place in a nice Carnegie Hill location. Negatives include no lift, noisy front bedroom, one bedroom being entered through another and the sub standard bathroom facilities that I have already mentioned. Positives include the Madison Avenue location and the cleanliness of the place.

Overall, please stay away from this one. We are a normal hard working family who had looked forward to this trip and our dealings with Oxbridge left a sour taste.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephen74
upstate new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2008

I needed to book a flight and hotel to visit my dear friend who had become paralyzed and is in Mt Sinai hospital. I spent hours online trying to find something that was nearby and reasonable. There were so many hotel/flight packages that were around $2000 and were at least a taxi ride from the hospital. I was thrilled to find the Oxbridge, at first, only for the close location to the hospital. But, I was more than pleased when I got inside the door. It was 2 doors that locked behind me, the smell of new paint up the staircase.. not a bit of dust. I stayed in #2A, as it seems a lot of reviewers have, and the apartment was beautiful and spotless. Wood floors, plenty of space, very comfortable bed, 2 quiet air conditioners, a spotless sink, spotless stove. Even the tea kettle was absolutely clean. There was actually 2 ice cube trays that had been filled and ready for use. My only complaint, there was no bar of soap for the shower, even though there was dishwashing liquid for the kitchen and hand washing soap for the bathroom sink. The bath towels were clean and plush.
Once outside, there are coffee shops galore, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and a few restaurants. The restaurants, Hanratty's, One Fish Two Fish and Peter's are wonderful and definitely not NYC priced. When I got closer to Mt Sinai Hospital, there were street vendors with more coffee, pastries, wonderful fresh fruit and other sundries.

I enjoyed my stay, unfortunately it was not for a vacation. But, should anyone need to visit friends or family at Mt Sinai, this is the place to stay. It is a one minute walk to the hospital in a nice neighborhood.

• Liked — cleanliness and locale
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank cadygulf2
birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

My family stayed for five nights in the two bedroom apt.
The room was very spaceious and full of all the utilities required for our stay.
The people in the area seemed very friendly and helpfull when questioned for directions.Hanrattys bar was excellent and all the staff very friendly.please note children are allowed in the eating area.
The downside was the lack of lifts to the apt,so this would be a problem for people with mobility.
We would consider staying here again in the future as these apts are good value for money.
As other people have mentioned in their reviews there are some good eating places in the area.
For transport i prefered the buses ,the subway can be confusing at first but you get used to them.The taxi fare was reasonable to and from central manhattan around $12.

• Liked — The space -no cramped hotel room and good value
  • Disliked — the stair access
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank phantomf4
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2008

After searching and searching for reasonably priced good accomodation in NY I stumbled on this. I was wary of booking it at first due to its location. Other reviewers had mentioned that Carnegie Hill wasnt the best place to be. Well I chanced it and am glad I did. The apartment is spacious. We had one bedroom and kicthen/living area and a bathroom. The apartment was spotless when we arrived. There was a lot of channels on the tv. The bathroom was a good size and it was clean. The apartment is about a 5 minute walk to the nearest subway station and you will need to use it. The apartment is a bit out of the way in relation to all the touristy places in NY. The area itself seemed fine to me. I didnt encounter any problems... however I also didnt venture far... I usually went from the apartment to the subway station and never really went in the opposite direction which is the direction of Harlem. There are pizza places, dunkin donuts and subway nearby as well. For the price I really dont think I could have found better in NY. I loved the privacy of the apartment. I didnt have a problem with noise or anything here. There is no elevator so if you have a lot of luggage it might be a problem. The only bad part for me was the fact that we couldnt control the heat and the apartment was so hot all the time! If I come to NY again I would try and get one of their apartments closer to Times Square but if I couldnt I would stay here again!

• Liked — The privacy
  • Disliked — A bit far out