“Great hotel, great location”

Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #3 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I visited New York for the first time with my wife and daughter, both of whom had been before and are great fans of the Big Apple. I was keen to avoid one of the big chain hotels. The Hotel Giraffe was recommended by friends and TripAdvisor. We booked a suite rather than two separate rooms, being cheaper and providing more space.
We were not disappointed. The location of the hotel was superb, in Midtown Manhattan, close to the subway, surrounded by restaurants and places of interest.
The hotel was great, very friendly staff, excellent room, great breakfast. Big bonus was the "Wine O'Clock", the 5-8 free wine and nibbles, just what was needed after a hard days sightseeing, to review what we had seen and plan the next day. I suppose the only possible downside to the Giraffe is the lack of it's own restaurant but then who wants to eat in a hotel rather than experience the variety of eating at one of the many restaurants available on your doorstep?

Overall, a great hotel in a great location, we would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New York.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Colin B

Reviewed 2 June 2011

A lovely small boutique hotel situated in central New York. I highly recommend this hotel for it's beautiful rooms, cleanliness, wonderful afternoon complimentary cocktails, and healthy breakfasts. The hotel staff is very professional, friendly and helpful, and obviously happy to be working there. The beds are one of the most comfortable I have slept in.

We had a wonderful stay here and hope to return one day to this gem of a hotel. Thank you to all staff who were so helpful and so pleasant.
Jacqui Barron, Bracebridge, Ontario

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jacqui030
Reviewed 2 June 2011

The Hotel Giraffe was, without a doubt, one of the nicest hotels that I have ever stayed in. The room was beautifully decorated with a small balcony overlooking Park Avenue. The staff were courteous and always helpful. The complimentary breakfast was an unexpected bonus and served in the lobby by disarmingly sweet servers. A lovely way to start the day. I would recommend the Hotel Giraffe to anyone who wishes to experience the finest New York City has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I stayed here for a few week nights during a brief trip to the city to see some plays. I had prepaid in order to get the best rate, though in late May the rates are pretty high everywhere. I think the location is excellent. It's low key, yet with easy access to the subway, and close to many attractions. Madison Square Park, a nice place to sit, is only a block or so away. It's a stylish, smaller hotel, where you receive lots of personal attention if you need it, or are left alone if you prefer. The roof top patio is very charming and has a nice view. The lobby is also a very comfortable place to sit and have some complimentary coffee or tea.

When I checked in, I was upgraded to a suite on the 12th (top) floor for some reason. I did not ask too many questions! I was very happy with the suite-it had a nice view, was spacious and had simple modern decor. The bed was very comfortable, on the firm side which I like. The bathroom was large and nicely appointed though the toliet paper dispenser is located behind you which is kind of awkward.

The service was excellent. I didn't require much, but the few requests I had were met in a prompt and friendly manner. The only negative is that housekeeping left some dirty dishes and trash one day. But not a big deal really.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2011

This is a great boutique hotel. Genuinely friendly staff, good size rooms which are well decorated. We were on the 12th floor and a party was held on the terrace next door. It finished at 10pm and we were not disturbed in anyway but the hotel still left us a bottle of wine and a note thanking us for our patience. Complimentary champagne, wine, cheese etc from 5pm to 8pm is a nice touch and we were allowed to join in even on the day we checked out. I think a new restaurant is planned but at the moment the 12th floor terrace is a great space. Position is better than I thought and there are some great shops in the area - wander down 5th Avenue, head to Union Square etc - try Eataly an amazing food shop with a number of restaurants. All in all a great stay and we will be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Fantastic location. Very professional staff. Great continental breakfast. Lovely little roof-top terrace. Peaceful.

Not for budget travelers -- it is expensive.

This was my third stay at the Giraffe -- all three times for business. I'd come back for leisure in a heartbeat. It's small and personal, no extraneous bells or whistles. Just a nice, attractive place to stay.

Staff is friendly, helpful, cheery, accommodating.

After a long day of rushing around in the noisy city, the Giraffe is a real refuge.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Our stay for son's NYU graduation- perfection. Son could hang with us in comfortable lobby between events, we had a lovely suite as well to entertain him and other family. Thank you to wonderful staff for another fabulous experience.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple