“A central Manhattan gem”

Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #2 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My family love this New York hotel, The Giraffe. We've stayed there as a couple at least half a dozen times, and with family and friends as well. It's not too big, nor too small, and it's a real gem in a city with thousands of hotels of all sizes and types.

The Giraffe is very centrally located on Park Avenue South, some 9 blocks up from Union Square in mid town Manhattan. There are excellent shops nearby, in Union Square itself, and on Madison and 5th Avenues, both very near. Madison Square Gardens, less than 5 minutes walk away, has, in our view, the best burgers in New York, at the Shake Shack, and also the wonderful Italian shopping and eating experience, Eataly.

The Giraffe is a very friendly and comfortable hotel. The staff are always charming and most welcoming. The rooms are a good size by New York standards, very well equipped, most comfortable, and very reasonably priced considering the location and what the hotel offers. The very original and popular free wine and cheese every evening except Sunday, between 5 and 8 o'clock, is exceptional and a wonderful start to any evening in New York. Breakfast is also great.

The Giraffe doesn't have its own restaurant but has an arrangement with the next door Italian restaurant, but the area is full of excellent places to eat, so nobody has to go far to find something for all tastes and appetites. Try L'Express 24 hour brasserie 5 blocks down towards Union Square.

We would find it difficult to stay anywhere else in Manhattan. It suits all ages, families, business guests, everybody.

Room Tip: We think the best face Park Avenue South, but they are all good.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank carabinier
There are newer reviews for Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection

Reviewed 8 February 2012

We have stayed at the Giraffe many times over the years. We have always found the hotel to be the best small hotel for families in NYC. The suites are fairly large, the staff is superb, and the breakfast and afternoon snack/wine spread are very nice for both adults and kids. It is also a great location that is away from the very touristic areas and close to great neighborhoods.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Have spent many weekends in NYC over the years and we like to stay at different places each time. This place is our new favorite. It was perfect in every way....friendly, accommodating staff, clean rooms, great location, good price that included breakfast and cocktail hour each evening. And, they even gave me a pass to the NYAC down the street. We will definitly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lesleecross
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I spent many hours searching for a place to stay for our weekend with friends in NYC last fall, and settled on Hotel Giraffe. I was very nervous, since I had picked it for not only me and my husband, but also for 3 other couples. We all thought it was perfect! The staff was great, the rooms were great, the wine and cheese hour was great, and the breakfast was great! It was all the little things that they did that added up to making us feel very welcome. I can not recommend this hotel highly enough!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kkbrig
Reviewed 2 February 2012

i love this hotel. i loved the wine and cheese at 5. we went there during the blizzard in 2010. so when we came in and they got us dinner.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank piggy91
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I had been to NYC on two different occasions and was looking for a place to stay on my honeymoon. I looked and looked with no luck when my travel agent suggested the Hotel Giraffe. So I decided to book this great little hotel for six nights and was not disappointed. My wife and I teach school for a living and are by no means wealthy, but for six nights we were treated like royalty. The people at this hotel were WONDERFUL!!!! I have NEVER stayed in a hotel that treated me as well as the folks at Hotel Giraffe. But the positives do not stop there. The rooms were very very clean. The rose petals on the bed and the wine and strawberries were a nice touch for this honeymoon couple. The only concern I had going in was there was not a hot breakfast, but the breakfast proved to be very very good, and I really enjoyed the free papers available to read at breakfast. The staff at breakfast was very nice as was all the staff, the cleaning crew, the maintenance crew ( I put my key by a credit card and couldn't get in my room the maintenance gentlemen went with me to the front desk to make sure I got another key) and the gentlemen working the door treat you like you are a kind. The view from my room, 907 was wonderful, I enjoyed the big french doors and the view they offered. This hotel needs to be rated number one in my book.

Room Tip: I asked for one on a higher floor with a view and got it. The view from the balcony was wonderful.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HommerSpec
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Hotel Giraffe is a very classy modern New York boutique hotel done in a French style. The interior is elegant and spotlessly clean. I like the location on West 26th Street and Park Avenue South because you are able to look out over a boulevard but enjoy peace and quiet in a somewhat residential area. (Madison Square Park is just a block away.) Also, the location is convenient if you wish to go further downtown but also if you wish to go to the theatre district or midtown. The staff is professional and unobtrusive. I thought the hotel rates were reasonable.

In short, I highly recommend this hotel as giving the perfect New York experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo