“Great Hotel, Bad Management Policies”

Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #4 of 468 Hotels in New York City
World Traveller
“Great Hotel, Bad Management Policies”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Look out for the small print associated with the lowest "pre-paid" rate....make sure your plans are fully baked or you won't get your money back. I used to like this hotel but the management is making it hard for me to continue to do so. My assistant made a reservation for me but my plans changed at the last minute and I ended up having to cancel but found out that I couldn't! This is because she selected the lowest rate on the screen offered and it turned out to be a "non-refundable" rate. I called and spoke with the hotel manager who responded that despite an innocent mistake by my assistant (who does not understand these things well) they would be unable to cancel the reservation and make a refund. I also explained that I am a small business owner and avoidable expenses like this are very painful to a start-up.
I have been a fan of this hotel since the opening and stayed there at least 3-4 times and would love to choose it every time I am in NY. My recent experience with the management however leads me to hesitate - they seem to be more concerned about their refund policy than keeping good customers coming back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
6 Thank SmallBiz
HotelGiraffe, General Manager at Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear SmallBiz,

We have recently decided to take the opportunity to contact some of our past guests, like yourself, who were not fully satisfied with an aspect of their stay. We are happy to update you and the TripAdvisor Community on the changes we made to our procedures involving our Prepay and Save (Prepaid and Non-refundable) Rate Plan, since your experience at our hotel.

The Prepay and Save rate is our most popular rate plan because it offers the very best value to those travelers who are able to truly guarantee their stay. We do this because firm bookings are so important to us, as it can be difficult for our business to resell rooms that are cancelled at the last minute. In order to keep this mutually beneficial option available to our guests who enjoy it, we looked for ways to ensure that travelers, like yourself, could more clearly understand the terms of what they were booking, thereby helping to ensure that each guest chose the plan that best suited their own needs.

First, we have included the phrase (Non-Refundable) in the name of the rate plan so that it is more clear, even for those who disregard reading the rate plan description. Second, we have made the Prepay and Save Plan not the first rate plan that appears so that bookers will have to take a more active role in selecting the plan. We believe the differences in the plans will then be more readily apparent. Third, our current confirmations highlight that the rate is prepaid and non refundable 5 times on the confirmation so it can’t be missed. It even appears in red. Travelers are told in the confirmation that if this is not the right cancellation policy for them, we recommend they consider one of our more flexible plans. If someone, like yourself , has an assistant book for them and they select the wrong rate plan, as long as the reservation is not for that day or the next, we will help those who contact us within 24 hours to convert their reservation to a rate plan better suited to their needs with no penalty to the guest.

I hope this has helped to explain how we do all that we can to provide for the needs and desires of our guests, while also protecting the needs of our business. If anyone has any questions or concerns about this practice or any other, I am always delighted to hear from TripAdvisor members. Please feel free to call or email me at peter@hotelgiraffe.com

Peter Velk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Arabic first
London
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Very friendly staff and atmosphere with free breakfast and wine in the evening in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Very nice place to stay - friendly, easy access to many things, and comfortable. The only thing I could say that would be negative is the cost of the room.....as I was checking in, people who walked in off of the street got a cheaper rate than I received, having made a reservation in advance. I don't think that customers should have to haggle the price. If there is a less expensive offering, it should be made available to all. Thanks again for a great stay, and I would definitely stay again, and recommend it to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank kemon58
Bingen am Rhein, Germany
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I really enjoyed our stay here. Park Ave is rather noisy, so don't expect complete silence in your room. Subway stop is near (but only local 6 trains stop there). No restaurant, but I can highly recommend the mexican restaurant next to the hotel (very stylish, excellent value). The staff has been incredibly helpful and friendly. The breakfast is pretty OK. Will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fischgericht
newcastle
Reviewed 6 October 2009

good location, friendly staff, free happy hour - what's not to like
lovely roof garden

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank happyaussieNewcastle
brighton
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Lovely hotel. We found the location great as being right in the centre you could get to both down and up town easily. Our room was huge, clean and had everything we needed (we stayed in a king room). The staff were always friendly and helpful, and on our first evening a bottle of wine was delivered to our room as it was my birthday. The complimentary breakfast was delicious, as was the cheese and wine reception. I cannot actually think of any negatives!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed 6 October 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Giraffe for two weekend nights. It was outstanding in all ways. Our room was a good size, with very nice furnishings and amenities. Our small balcony looked out on Park Avenue, but the room was very quiet with the doors closed. The continental breakfast was very good and the evening wine and cheese reception was lavish. The staff is friendly and attentive. We like the location, which is not as hectic as many hotels, but still convenient to most things. One of the best hotels we've ever stayed in - and we stay in a lot of them!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple