“Excellent small hotel in great location”

Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #2 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 December 2010

Hotel Giraffe is a excellent small hotel. Good location near Union Square and Flatiron District, very friendly and helpful staff, excellent free continental breakfast. Our one bedroom suite was very comfortable and quiet. I would definitely stay here again.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection

Reviewed 22 December 2010

We visit Manhattan every December, and just returned from our first stay at the Hotel Giraffe. We are already referring to it as "our new place." The young staff is friendly and eager to please. As a couple traveling with two "children" (rather large ones who are in college and high-school), the Giraffe worked quite well for all of us. We found the Terrace one-bedroom suite to be reasonably priced, spacious enough, and quiet. My husband and I agreed that the king bed was extremely comfortable and we loved the little balcony. Housekeeping was spot on. The neighborhood surrounding Park/26th is a combination of office and residential space, and a short walk in any direction leads you to an array of restaurant choices in all price ranges; the area feels "real" and not touristy. We enjoyed the complimentary wine/cheese offered in the evening, as well as the continental breakfast, both of which are served in the Giraffe lobby, and on one evening we were entertained by a pianist performing on the lobby's Yamaha grand. The lobby space is contemporary, fresh, and inviting. It may not be your cup of tea if you desire the opulence of the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons lobby, but I must say that the Giraffe guests sipping their wine and coffee struck me as uniformly more happy, relaxed and gracious than many of those I have observed passing through the lobby of the grand five-star hotels. We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Sim0nSays
Reviewed 20 December 2010

We had an amazing time at Hotel Giraffe! After reading the reviews from trip advisor, we decided to stay here and so glad we did. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful- check in was a breeze. The rooms are very nice and beds are extremely comfortable. We had a balcony which was a nice touch, turn down service every night, the wine and cheese was always a treat after a long day of sightseeing. Breakfast in the morning was great, pastries, boiled eggs, yogurt and fresh fruit was plenty to tie us over until lunch. Free Internet . Location was great, close to subway which was very helpful. I like the fact that it is nice and quaint. We will be back!!!!

1  Thank 70sgirl
Reviewed 18 December 2010

Strongly recommend the Giraffe. The location is great at 26th and Park, very close to the Metro and many other transportation options. The front desk also act as concierge and they were very helpful and gave great suggestions. Room service was timely and well-priced. Housekeeping was well done and reliable.

Complimentary breakfast in the lobby and the wine and cheese in the evening are great touches, and quite good. Breakfast is hearty enough to consider it an actual breakfast. Wine and cheese is as it is named, plus fresh veggies with dip, tasty crackers, etc.

One note: If you book a one room terrace, do not expect a balcony. You can stand on it and close the door behind you, but if your expectation is a place to sit and relax outdoors, it is not that. They do have a rooftop garden area to satisfy that need.

We were delighted with the Giraffe and will stay there if we go back to NYC.

Reviewed 16 December 2010

Where do I start? The location is perfect for going up or downtown. Extremely quiet. Wonderful restaurants within walking distance. The hotel has very friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast in the morning in the lobby is the best start to the day. Followed by the evening reception with drinks and appetizers, assorted cheeses and vegetables, not just pretzels with a piano player. The rooms are large for NYC. The bathroom as well. 'Comfy' bed with nice linens. You do not have to bring your umbrella or bathrobe because they supply those for you.

I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

Reviewed 13 December 2010

Before you read my review below I am a seasoned traveller so know what standards you should expect across Europe, The US and further afield.
I chose this hotel based on the excellent reviews on TA. No.3 hotel in New York with masses of reviews....I thought this has got to be good!
I was looking for a hotel with a Wow factor, so considered The Gramercy, The Mercer, The Gansevoort etc.
What a mistake not to choose one of those........all a little bit more expensive.......more like $2,000 for 3 nights.
We spent $1600 for 3 nights at the Giraffe which is at best a 3-4* hotel. In all honesty there were good things about the hotel, service (upgraded due to low shower pressure and a bottle of wine delivered complimentary too) and the rooms were reasonably spacious and clean.

The bad, the lobby is what you'd expect from a 3* hotel, very average, almost like someone's living room..
The breakfast was so poor that we ate out twice out of 3 mornings. Yes OK, there was a fesh fruit salad which wasn't bad and bagels (but nothing to go in them but cream cheese or preserve, or sliced hard bolied egg)
The toilets downstairs were shabby and in need of a facelift.
It wasn't that the hotel could be criticised particularly but I felt completely 'ripped off' with the price charged.
You could stay in a Central London (notoriously expensive) for this price and get a hotel that is truly 4-5*.
The shower problem (no pressure in a 4* hotel costing over $500 per night AND the front desk staff were 'surprised a) that this was an issue and b) when I asked to actually 'test' the next rooms shower pressure) this nearly became a great excuse to leave after one night and go and stay at one of the others with the W factor.......next time we definitely will.
Sorry Giraffe but what you think is exceptional is not even 'average' across the globe.
Very, very disappointed with our stay and I must say disappointed with other people's glowing reviews which I just don't think capture the mediocrity of the hotel. Where do these people stay normally to give Giraffe such a glowing review???!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
HotelGiraffe, General Manager at Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2010

Dear DeanHowarth,

Thank you for your feedback. It always breaks our hearts a bit to hear that someone was disappointed with their stay for any reason, as we care so deeply for every guest and we strive to do all that we can to please them. As hard as such comments are to hear, we try to see what we can learn and how we can improve for the future. We have discussed each issue and in cases such as the downstairs rest rooms, we have already started to take action to give that area a facelift. As for our living room like lobby, that is actually the atmosphere we were hoping to achieve, but we certainly understand any style choice may not be for everyone. That is why we encourage all TA members to look at the many photos fellow TA members have posted, and visit our website photo tour as well, and you will get a good idea of what to expect from our décor to see if it suits you. Regarding our breakfast, it is true that we do not serve items such as omelets or breakfast meats. However we do keep a close eye on the responses of our guests to our amenities and it appears that most are delighted to be able to enjoy at no extra charge fresh fruit salad, and bagels with cream cheese, or peanut butter, or assorted preserves, or butter, and hard-boiled eggs, plus yogurts, cereals, even oatmeal with berries, assorted pastries, cappuccino, latte etc. I think however, as you said it was not so much that you were criticizing the hotel but rather your expectation for the price. You might not be aware of this, but the particular weekend you stayed in early December is in fact the number #1 most desired peak date of the year in NYC, and therefore the rates at all NYC hotels at their absolute peak. For those exact dates, at least one of the alternative hotels you mentioned had rates starting at $1,000 per night as opposed to the approximately $500 per night you paid with us. If you stay with us for a weekend in January instead, you can currently find rates on our website for as low as $215, and that still includes the $210 worth of complimentary amenities each day such as our daily breakfast, evening wine and cheese receptions, and wireless internet. I am glad that you did find aspects of the service of our staff to be commendable and I am glad they were able to resolve the problem for you when the water pressure did not function as it should. We would be thrilled if you wished to give us another try, perhaps at a time when we are not in peak season rates. If there is ever anything I can do to be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me personally at peter@hotelgiraffe.com.

Peter Velk, General Manager

Reviewed 10 December 2010

I always enjoy my stay at the Giraffe! The young staff is most pleasant and very responsive to any requests I make of them. I especially enjoy the comfortable, relaxed ambiance of the lobby. As a woman traveling alone for business, I appreciate having a public space where I can sit and work or have a glass of wine amidst other people without feeling any pressure to interact with them. The pianist during cocktail hour is a very nice touch.
The rooms are attractive, nicely appointed, clean and everything is in good working order. On several occasions, when space permitted, they have upgraded me to a larger room without my even asking.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business