“Have the room ready”

Ranked #3 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Suttons Bay, Michigan
“Have the room ready”
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I have stayed at Hotel Giraffe two times and both times I have had to wait for the room to be ready. We had two rooms and one was ready, but we all had to go to the room that was ready and wait for the other one, it was over an hour. Very awkward for myself and my two assistants. The complimentary continental breakfast is a nice plus, but the cappucino machine was not working. The free internet would be nice, but it is very slow and impossible to connect your ipad. The heat in the room seems either to be either off or on, does not seem like the thermostat works, beds are hard. There was an unsatisfied guest at the hotel screaming about his TV not working when we were checking in, very awkward. Hotel Giraffe could be a good hotel but they need a more experienced staff to pull it together. On a positive note they were friendly about moving my prepaid reservations around when I was delayed by a flight cancellation inbound, and then had to leave early because of the same. I would not recommend this hotel to a friend because of the little glitches. If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel in an OK location and are not too fussy this is OK. I have to stay here again next time to use up the prepaid reservation.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Haystacks-Brand
HotelGiraffe, General Manager at Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
Dear WalktheCIty,

Thank you for sharing with us your observations about your recent stay at Hotel Giraffe. While we are always saddened to hear that any guest leaves our hotel with a less than great experience, I am so glad you will be coming back to us and that we will have an opportunity to make amends and show you the level of service and hospitality that all our guests deserve and that we have built our reputation on. As someone who has already stayed with us twice, and will stay again, we are deeply committed to do all we can to ensure that your next stay is so enjoyable you will feel comfortable about returning and recommending us to friends.

We apologize that the second room was not ready for your colleague at check-in, and the awkwardness that this caused. Although most of the time our rooms are ready at the time of check-in, there are occasions due to late check-outs or maintenance of the hotel. In this particular case, as you mentioned there was a service outage with our television cable service that effected three floors and the front desk was actually trying to avoid problems by trying to re-block our i guests onto other guest room floors, and this limited our availability of clean and ready rooms.

We are glad to hear that you think our complimentary breakfast was a nice addition to your stay. I am sorry that cappuccino machine was temporarily not working. Although it is normally available on a daily basis to offer our guests cappuccinos, lattes, and espresso, like all other machinery it does sometimes require a quick fix. In regards to the iPads, we have recently heard from a few other guests with iPads that the new technology in the device does not work perfectly with many wireless connections. Thanks to your feedback, we are currently have our IT team working to resolve that situation and I will be glad to follow up with you to let you know when the iPad issue is resolved.

In response to your preference regarding the firmness of the beds, we do have an option we can offer for your upcoming stay. We can add a feather top to the bed to give added softness. Please let me know if this would be more comfortable option for you. We encourage all of our guests to speak to us about any comfort issues during their stay so we can try to address them immediately. It is always our pleasure to send our Engineer to look at your thermostat, to help adjust it to your personal comfort level.

We look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next stay with us. If there is anything that we can do to make your next stay the experience that you are hoping for, please feel free to contact me at peter@hotelgiraffe.com, and I would be happy to assist you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Arabic first
South Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Thank you hotel Giraffe! With a BEAUTIFUL room, beautiful lobby and super sweet terrace we have fallen in love with you! Free delicious wine and yummy cheese in the evening, free yummy breakfast in the morning, and the most kind and helpful staff I have ever encountered. Love the beds, room size, balcony, bathroom, robes, slippers, bar, just every little detail. Period. We were "stuck" there during the big Christmas storm, and we couldn't imagine being "stuck" anywhere else! Thank you New York and thank you to the most gracious staff at Hotel Giraffe! We can't wait for our next trip to the Big Apple and to stay at your most beautiful hotel again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
swanzey, nh
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Everything about our stay at the Hotel Giraffe was great! Service was impeccable, wonderful wine, cheese and live jazz in the evening. Quiet rooms, black out curtains and nice bedding all made our stay relaxing.

My only issue was the sporadic internet service. Please fix!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Not all top-rated locations live up to their press, but I'm pleased to say that the Hotel Giraffe is one that definitely does. Excellent in all respects. The staff is cheerful and effective, the room was attractive, clean and functional, and the value is the best in New York. I particularly enjoyed the complimentary breakfast in the morning and snacks with wine in the evening. They had exactly the things I eat and drink, all available in a casual and comfortable way.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2011

My husband and I picked this hotel for a special occasion and stayed for several nights. We picked it based on good reviews on Tripadvisor. It may be that our high expectations of the hotel are the reason we felt a little disappointed, but for the price we paid (average of £290 per night during our stay) we thought the hotel and service should have been a little better. To be fair, part of our disappointment may be the poor value-for-money given the New York supplement that you implicitly pay just for the hotel being in highly desirable Manhattan. Other hotels we have stayed at in this price bracket in other cities around the world (London, LA, San Francisco, Barcelona, Rome etc.) have far surpassed Hotel Giraffe in terms of luxury, attention to detail and service.

These are the things that were disappointing: Concierge couldn’t book/arrange a variety of tickets (we were told their service was mostly just theatre tickets), concierge couldn’t arrange for posting a parcel for us, the lobby is used for breakfast each morning and doesn’t have sufficient tables or toasters or crockery or staff when the hotel is busy, the housekeeping service varied each day in terms of what toiletries were left in the bathroom and slippers (only one pair, and no man-sized ones) and not getting bottled water and the iron and ironing board not being put away, room service is very limited and not of a good standard (I would avoid ordering room service from the Mexican restaurant used by the hotel), the wait time for a lift could be quite long, and no champagne was on offer during the wine-and-cheese event despite this being advertised on the hotel’s website.

The things that were particularly good were: the wine-and-cheese event with live piano music most nights in the lobby was pleasant, the beds and linens were comfy, the hotel is fairly quiet despite outside traffic noise, check in and out was swift, the décor and style is good, the breakfast was good quality (though I recommend getting there early!), and the location is relatively quiet and safe and the hotel is only two short blocks from the subway.

In conclusion, I think this is a nice hotel, but I think it should be better for the money.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
HotelGiraffe, General Manager at Hotel Giraffe by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 19 January 2011
Dear Scoperta17,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Giraffe. We appreciate you letting us know some of the aspects of your stay that you did enjoy. We also value your criticisms, since we are constantly looking for ways we can make our hotel even better for our guests. I am most disappointed to hear that your experience with our staff and the service that we provide was not up to your expectations. Our service is something that we pride ourselves on and hold to the highest standard, so we deeply regret that it was not everything that you expected. Regarding arranging Fedex and UPS pickups for packages and obtaining tickets for guests, these are functions we perform for guests daily, so I am not sure what happened. I would be grateful if you would be so kind to contact me directly to let me know what happened so that I can better understand how we can polish our service. We have also addressed our housekeeping department on the importance of ensuring all amenities are replenished properly. Thank you for mentioning about the slipper sizes. We buy One size fits all, and I had not heard that this would not be suitable for men before. Per your suggestion, we will start investigating sourcing an appropriate size for men. In regards to not serving French Champagne, it is true we are now serving Italian Prosecco as our sparkling wine option, as well as a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Chardonnay during our complimentary wine and cheese receptions, and since your comment, we have corrected our website to reflect that. As for our room service, Dos Caminos is a very popular restaurant and most of our guests do enjoy having it next door but I would very much like to hear from you any specific comments that we can share with our contacts there as to how we may improve our service. We are also very excited to officially announce that Hotel Giraffe will have a new in-house restaurant opening late spring/early summer. They will offer our guests wonderful new options for room service, as well as an exciting dining experience! We would be honored if you would like to try our hotel again on your next trip to New York City. Please feel free to contact me personally at peter@hotelgiraffe.com, if I can ever be of assistance.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 January 2011

My wife and I were going to NY in New York to celebrate our wedding. Booked a room at the Hotel Giraffe with the Rendezvous package. WOW! From the front door to the room we were treated like royalty. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful and it wasn't just because we were there for a special event, it is how they treated everyone.

The wine and cheese hour was great. Good cheeses and nice crackers, etc. The continental breakfast was really complete. Didn't leave thinking we needed to go eat a real breakfast.

Will stay again....we had the King Delux Room. I'm still on cloud 9!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Worcestershire, England
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We wanted to enjoy our stay after reading the reviews etc.
The rooms and the service was as expected.
the hotels location isnt ideal if you are looking to spending time around Times Square, and Central Park etc. But it was quiet for NYC which is no bad thing...
The only small negative was, that our stay was over Christmas when the snow hit NYC.
We had our flights cancelled so needed to stay for further nights. ( it turned out to be 4 more nights! ). Yet the hotel couldnt give us a room at anywhere near the rate we has paid, as apparently the rates had gone as much as another £100 a night. Dispite the fact there was 2 foot of snow everywhere, so i doubt there would be a huge influx of new guests as the airports where closed.
We wernt partculary impressed with the attidude and lack of any kind of flexibility.
They then watched us make our way through the snow, with 2 large suitcases, knowing our predicament but still ot offering a deal...Dissapointing in the end.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple