10,350 results
All reviews grand central station cozy queen new york times square madison avenue lobby bar rockefeller center hotel is in a great location empire state few blocks nyc midtown subway starbucks broadway jfk
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The only good thing about this hotel was the location. Only stayed here for a night. Fairly priced for the location, but the room was a shoebox in comparison to other hotels in NYC for same price. The shower doors closed from the back of the shower so once you turn it on you better be able to get in and close both sliding glass shower doors before the water completely soaks the floor. We paid extra money for what we thought was a bigger room, but ended up being just a bigger bed which probably added to making the room feel small. Nice Flat screen TV, AC worked great. Bar at the Hotel was about the same as any other bar in the city as far as prices go. Don't think I would stay here again, nothing special about this place.

Room Tip: The higher the Floor the more of a View you will probably have
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
rooseveltnyc, Front Office Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies we did not meet your expectations during your last visit. Regarding the size of the room, guest rooms in NYC do tend to be on the cozy side especially when compared to other major cities or one's own home. Again our apologies and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Chosen for a Family reunion for its great location & old style new your style from the images we saw on their website.
However from the moment we arrived the front desk gave us problems & excuses. Every one of the receptionists at the front desk should be fired as they were either just plain unhelpful, or actually rude. I even asked one of the receptionists (Ms. MANA WONG) and I quote: " are you actually always this rude to customers ...... and she replied with "YES!!!"
Wow.

As well as being good at being rude, she was obviously very experienced in it, that she would not even let her name badge be seen for fear of any complaint procedure.
I got round that by taking a picture of her, telling her that was for my report ......... & magically the manager arrived (Jose Miller) in seconds - probably after she had pushed some sort of hidden button.
He was more concerned about me taking pictures to start with, but after I told him I would delete it, only if he gave me her full name & position in the company, he started taking me seriously & complied.

He was actually very helpful & understood out situation & went back behind the desk & took over & sorted out the first of the problems with the errors they had made with our booking.

In our stay of 7 days, we never found a single interested or enthusiastic receptionist, they were all terrible. We had to have three other meetings with different managers to sort out further problems, being sloppy & rude receptionists, lack of booking information & errors, & poor solutions with dealing with us.

They got our room reservation wrong - it was for two twin bedded rooms close together - and we had booked 2 months in advance too.
The first room was OK, but amazingly small. Ok it is Manhattan, I understand that, but the room photography on their website could only be taken with remotely operated cameras, as if there was anyone in one of the rooms you would have seen them in the fisheye lens, with the rooms being so small. At least the beds were actually good.

Then when the remaining 2 family arrived, at 1am due to airline problems, they then told us they had given their room away. After a session of rudeness by the receptionist we eventually got another manager, who upgraded them to a suite - nice you might think - but only one super king sized bed for two individuals. After waiting & phoning many times eventually an uninterested guy arrived with a fold out camp bed after 40 mins. Perhaps they should have just camped in Central Park as it would have been cheaper, easier & faster to get to sleep !!!!!!!!!!!

The next day they obviously wanted the suite for "more Important people" as the two sleeping in there were constantly hassled from very early in the morning, asking if they were ready to check out into the other room they had now found - very Annoying.
The hotel said the only rooms were on another floor miles away, so that took another long session with the rude reception staff, before the duty manager arrived & he magically found a room just a few doors away from the other in the party.
Despite the manager ordering the bell boy to move the bags & ourselves calling several times, no one came to move the bags, & so we were all involved in moving the bags out selves, which was very poor.

Lifts so slow that we walked down from the 7th floor regularly rather than wait. For several days we found that half the lifts & lobby was actually shut off to us. There were people everywhere as a film or TV episode was being filmed and was causing a huge wait for everything.
I did not book this hotel to be in a TV show - the paying customers in the hotel need to come first, not be treated like second class citizens when the big bucks of Warner come knocking.

We only had one drink in the bar, as the bar staff was so poor too, that it was bordering on plain rude too. Despite being British I fully understand tipping & how bar staff work in the US, but placing the initial order (4 bottles too, so super fast - no prep needed) was the worse experience I have had in any bar in 18 years of visiting the US.
There were some new yorkers visiting the bar for a drink that were not staying in the hotel. Why they were there I had no idea - as even the street vendors with a huge line of hungry lunchtime workers were more courteous, slicker & faster.

None of us were NYC first timers either, & all have visited New York before too, so understand the pace & style of the city.

The interesting thing I have seen is reading the reviews here on Tripadviser.
The management keep on using the same old cut & pasted response to all complaints ....... but clearly are doing NOTHING about any of the problems.
Just take a look for yourselves at the review history here on tripadviser, where the guest relations manager tells us that ALL concerns will be immediately addressed - HAHAHAHA!
By Immediately Addressed what they actually mean is put in a folder & 100% ignored of course.

NOTHING EVER GETS DONE despite the growing list of complaints here.
I wonder what the response will be to MY complaint here ....... Same old same old I am sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Andrew D
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies for any issues you experienced during your most recent stay. Regarding as to what our response will be..... When any issue is mentioned in these reviews and keep in mind these are anonymous, We do share each and every comment and review with the staff and department managers. There is much discussion as to how we can better improve our product and services. If a specific name of an associate is mentioned in reference to poor service then there is appropriate coaching, counseling, and discipline regarding said associate. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I had a terrible experience here, and all of it had to do with the LACK of service!!!!
I was early, they had no rooms ready yet (it was Noon) so I understood this. The very helpful and polite Front Desk informed me I could check the bags and I was told they would call me if my room became available before 3. They never called. That's ok. maybe the room wasn't ready. Then I went to get my bags and I gave the bell captain my ticket and he gave it to some frazzled employee but he told me they would get it up to my room and put my room number down.
That's when things got BAD. After 20 minutes and no bags, I called down and asked and they said they would be on the way. Then after 10 minutes they called me back and asked me who I gave my ticket to, and what did my bags look like. Then 5 minutes later they called back and asked if I could come downstairs because they could not find what happened to my ticket. Finally I found my bags in the far back of the room with all the luggage.

So this was upsetting...so I decided I wanted to file a complaint with the Manager. I called and they transferred me to a voice mail extension (probably the Black Hole) and I left a message. No one ever called back.

Later, watching the TV describe the hotel amenities, I see I am supposed to have a coffee maker. There is not one in the room. I call and am told they are "by request". So the following morning I called and requested one. 45 minutes, and no coffee maker. We decide to find a Starbucks or something and I call to cancel and the girl calls me by a different last name and apologizes that they took it too a different room.

What the...ANYWAY, aside from that, the room was SUPER SMALL, but well kept.

Room Tip: All it has going for it is a beautiful lobby so if you love lobbies, stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank camiloarenivar

Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for any issues you experienced during your most recent stay. All of your concerns have been noted and will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Roosevelt Hotel in Mid-Town is centrally located, a "hub" to get anywhere in the city easily with all modes of transportation. The staff at the front desk and concierge are welcoming and very helpful. Guests are from all over the US and there is also an International flavor. The rooms are not luxurious, but clean and accommodated all our needs. As tourists to NYC, this hotel is not overwhelming in The Big Apple and we will stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and review. We are pleased to hear your overall stay was good. We are pleased that your stay was even more memorable due to our central location, comfy room, and friendly "Welcoming and Helpful" staff. Thanks again for our valuable feedback and we look forward to your next stay

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Myself, my husband & 14 year old son flew to New York for 3 nights on our way to Canada & Orlando. We chose this hotel for its central location to Empire State Building, Rockerfeller Centre, Central Park, Times Square as these are all places we wanted to visit in a short stay.
We flew into JFK & paid $18 dollars each single shuttle price to the Hotel. The reception was very busy and as always there is a queue just as you are about to check in, our receptionist wasn't over friendly or helpful and we had to ask re use of restaurant, gym etc where as usually when you check in to a hotel they are only to keen to tell you all you need to know. Our room was large enough for us 3, but once again as in a lot of American Hotels there were no tea, coffee making facilities and this little touch really helps when you have been traveling for hours. Apart from that the room was clean, although the beds were afwul and my sons had a huge plank of wood under mattress. we did complain about the beds and they did offer to move us but as we only had 2 nights left we couldn't be bothered to pack up everything. The gym was fine, we didn't use the restaurant or bar facilities but they were quite busy.
We use d the deli over the road called Cosi for most of our food and drinks and they are very reasonably priced and just a couple of minutes away.
Overall the location was great as was also right near Grand Central Station and I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be central, however maybe ask for a decent bed when you book!!

Room Tip: Room with a decent bed and not too near the lifts
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments and review. We are pleased to hear your overall stay with your Family was good. You are correct; our central location cannot be beat. We are perfect for shopping, business, sight-seeing, and of course all of Broadway. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.