“Good hotel”

Ranked #381 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Good hotel great location. On arrival was a little disappointed with scaffold around the building but I suppose work has to be done sometime. The main lobby is fantastic old and grand. We where greeted by friendly reception staff and told we had been upgraded to a king from queen we whee pleased with this but it was short lived the room we where put in would depress anyone there was a hole in the ceiling the curtain was hanging off wallpaper was peeling off,we looked at our view it was the fire escape area I think which made the room even darker and in appealing safe to say not happy as we booked 10 months earlier. We told the reception staff about the room ( upgrade) and asked to be moved the girl was very friendly and got us another room. The room we where given was on the top floor and was great could not fault this room huge bed clean and great size even a bit of a view. The hotel is located well Madison av so getting about to the tourist sights was easy. The roof top bar is a must just for the view.

Room Tip: Don't get the 4th floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for your comments and review. we are please to hear that your overall stay was great and that our friendly staff and central location made your NYC experience even more memorable. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,294)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wiltshire
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

The location was great, adjacent to Grand Central Station and the lobby is stunning, however, the lifts were so slow ( felt like the originals from the 1930s). The room was ok if bathroom dated, but I was shocked to be charged 15$ per 24 hours,per item, for a slow wifi connection. In this day and age, most hotels include free wifi. Not this hotel. Something to consider when booking.

Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your comments and review. Our deepest apologies that we did not meet your expectations. ALL of your concerns will be immediately addressed. Regarding wifi fees, we frequently shop the other mid-town hotels to ensure our pricing remains competitive. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Burlington
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We had a a room that was very out dated and overpriced compared to the clean quality you can get nearby. We reported roaches to the front desk in person and they were very indifferent to it. This is the exact quote the clerk gave me, "We have them here all of the time, we are above the train station." When I told him I could not believe what he just said he said he should have said some of the time. Regardless, not good. Not to mention one of our kids was quite upset....they other one likes bugs so he was okay.
We met some neighbours that were leaving and they told us they had them in their room too. I just hope nothing traveled home with us.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ABC360
Thank you for your comments and review. We do take cockroach and/or any pest sightings seriously and appreciate you informing our staff. We have spoken to our staff regarding the seriousness of this matter. Our deepest apologies regarding our staff's response. We immediately have had our pest company on property in response to your comments. Again our apologies for not meeting your expectations and thank you for your valuable feedback.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Good things: Location, and is very old but you will sleep well and the rooms are clean.

Bad things: Front desk staff are very rude, I never had this experience before in other hotel. Only for this and despite the location I don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniel V
Thank you for your comments and review. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was pleasant and comfortable. However, our apologies for any issues you experienced regarding rude staff. Rest assure this will be immediately addressed. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
Rhinebeck, New York
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I am so angry over my stay, and it is partially my fault. I booked it through a special site where you don't know the hotel, just the star rating, and then learn the hotel. If I had known before I hit the buy feature, I would have cancelled. I have stayed at this hotel before, and as a matter of fact, reviewed it here as horrible, which strangely seems to have disappeared.

This hotel, at best, at least in the unrenovated rooms, is a 1 star hotel, 2 stars at best. I am a photographer and travel often, with a lot of equipment. An impossibility with this hotel. To get to the lobby you have to walk up two very long flights of stairs and there is no one on hand to help. By the time I got done lifting my luggage up I had pulled a muscle in my shoulder.

The room was falling apart. I have photos. The hallways while wide are outdated, as is the decor. Imagine my complete disappointment from having gone the night before from a true 4 (maybe 3) star hotel if the Grand Hyatt, thinking I was booking another 4 star, with a 4 star price point, to this shambles of a disgrace of a once beautiful hotel. Never again. Next time I will take the financial loss and just rebook somewhere else.

Room Tip: get a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank j g
Thank you for your comments and review. You are correct, we are not a 4 Star hotel. We are actually a 3 diamond AAA rated property. Most reservation web-sites have their own criteria for star ratings which is not usually based on the hotels amenities or services. If you are looking for new, sleek and modern then we are not the property for you. Guest rooms in NYC tend to be on the cozy side especially when compared to other major cities. Our apologies that we did not meet your expectations. All of your concerns will be addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have absolutely no idea what the hype is over The Roosevelt Hotel. When I arrived, there was not a valet outside. I drove around the block and called to request that the valet be waiting by the time I came back around, and he still did not come out. Finally I just left my car outside and went to the front desk to check in. When I got to my room, it was not the room I'd requested (there were two queen beds rather than the one king). By the time I'd changed and come back down, the valet STILL had not seen to my car (45 minutes later?). The bathroom was cramped (as I get that most will be in the city). I love older architecture and always appreciate the history of older buildings, but at some point things need to be renovated which can certainly be done while still keeping with the style. The bathroom was so old that it was just gross (tiles, grout, etc. all need to be replaced).

Aside from the rooms, the hotel lobby is beautiful, however that was unfortunately the only good thing I have to say about my stay.

If you're looking to stay in an upscale older hotel, stay at the Waldorf. If you're looking for clean and nice - I had actually stayed at a Holiday Inn in the city a couple of weeks prior (which, coincidentally, I'd even paid more for) and was much more satisfied.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristin L
rooseveltnyc, Front Office Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies we did not meet your expectations during your last visit. . You are correct. If one desires a hotel that is sleek, modern, and hip which attracts a younger crowd, then we are not for you. However, if one is looking for an affordable rate, comfy room, and great location, then we are your hotel. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Terrible service, smelly corridors & lobby. Asked for service 4 times over 2 days to get some toothpaste I forgot to being. Shower knob almost falling out of wall.

Very slow wifi access, even though used the "premium" option (highest of 3 options).

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Martin L
Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for any issues you experienced during your most recent stay. All of your concerns have been noted and will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.