“Recovery from a Service Failure”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #392 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My fiancé and I were in NY for our friend’s Wedding. The wedding was in Long Island so we decided to stay in the city for a night. Our friends had a room at the Roosevelt so we decided to stay there as well. We arrived to the hotel around 10pm and it was pouring down rain so valet parking took longer than expected. Not a big deal I get it they cannot control the weather. When we were finally helped by the attendant we were given a ticket and he asked if we needed helped with our luggage, we declined. He said whenever we were done unpacking just leave the car there and give him the keys. When we were done we left the car there just like her instructed and gave him the keys before we walked inside the hotel.

Check in went smooth, no lines and the welcome agent was accommodating. Hotel lobby was nice, nothing out of the ordinary really, it was what I expected it to be.
Our room was a standard hotel room, again nothing spectacular. No issues with the room. Everything worked well, AC, hot water and it seemed to be clean.

We left the hotel around 11pm to meet up with our friends. We when walked out front the hotel our car was still sitting on the side of the street where we had left it with the valet. We thought this was odd but didn’t really think too much of it because it was kind of busy and it was raining so we figured they would park it later. The doorman put us in a cab and we left.

We returned to the hotel around 4am. To our surprise our car was still parked in the same spot. We stood outside the hotel to talk to a valet guy but we could not find one. We were tired so we just went to our room.

The next day we checked out with no problems until we went to have the valet pull our car around. I believe his name was Al, but I’m not 100% sure. Too our amusement our vehicle was still parked in the same location. We gave the attendant our claim check. He went over to the podium opened his box and stood there for a minute. He closed the box with a bewildered look on his face. My fiancé explained our vehicle was right there so we just need the keys to load up our bags. He then informed her he had no information on our vehicle and had idea where the keys were. We then became part of an investigation. “What time did you arrive?” “What did the attendant look like?” “Are you sure you gave him the keys?” We answered all of their questions and they had a suspect who they thought might have the keys. They thought the attendant who worked last night left the keys in his pocket and put them in his locker. They checked his locker and no keys. They called the same individual and he did not have them either, he had no idea. About 20 minutes went by and we were not getting anywhere. I figured by now at least a manager would have come out to speak with us but that didn’t happen. I went inside to talk to a manger. After waiting 5-10 minutes at the front desk and manager finally came out to speak with me. I believe his name was Armando but I am not 100%. I informed him we had a wedding to go to and did not have time to waste. He assured me he would fix the situation. If he needed to he would get us a car service to take us to the wedding while they figured the key situation out. That would have been fine but I had to get in my car because my suit for the wedding was in it. We continued to talk about possible solutions for another 20-25 minutes. Finally a valet ran inside and informed us they found the keys in the garage.

The entire valet mishap took over an hour. We were almost late for the wedding. The manager continued to apologize for the situation. Needless to say he removed the parking charges from our bill. He also went as far as removing the charges for our room. Honestly I think it was the least the hotel could have done in that situation. 100% negligence on their behalf, the valet should have realized something was wrong when a car was sitting in front of the hotel all night.

The entire team that assisted us was awesome. I wish I could remember all of their names so they could get the recognition that they deserve. They did not cause the problem but they did whatever they could to help solve it. They even gave us a bottle of champagne for the wedding we were going to.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Thank you for your comments and review. Wow, great recovery. We are so happy to hear that our staff was able to resolve the issue and went way above your expectations. Again our apologies for any issues you experienced with valet. Thanks for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,493)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Even with a renovation in the last few years, according to their website, the Roosevelt Hotel is still an old property. The rooms were typical NYC sized rooms, and although the bed was comfortable and the shower and faucets worked properly, the room still had an "old feel". The lobby and amenities there were an added nice touch. Great location in midtown and the prices were lower than the usual hotels where I normally stay. If you are in this area for business, and just looking for a place to sleep and bath and you want to save some money without any extra amenities, then, this may be the place. But check out other reviewers first and do some tripadvisor searching to see if this is the place for you. PS, the ac noise was louder than most, which some may not like, but it also produced a lot of white noise to counter act the NYC street noise.

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room, and good luck, the A/C noise is quite loud.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, our rates cant be beat for midtown NYC. Thanks for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were very disappointed by this hotel. This holiday was for us very special and we wanted to get great classic hotel in New York. Roosevelt definitely looked like perfect hotel from the website. It wasn't cheap so we thought its going to be one of the better ones. It had old style magic which unfortunately was only great pictures on the website. Reality was far from it. When we arrived after 24 hour flight, we were very tired but excited and very happy to be in the New York city finally. On our arrival we received No welcome and cold, short approach from the reception lady. Very unprofessional, didn't explain anything, didn't help with any questions we had . Gave us impression that we were bothering her. She didn't explain where the room was so we spent another 20min searching hallways to find our room as the corridors are divided in even and uneven numbers. Hallway smelled like cigarettes every day. Room was average, walls had pealing paint. Bathroom was very old and had pealing wall paper and mould on the bathtub corners, pealing paint inside of the bath. One of the evenings we had blocked toilet for some reason. Came back from the dinner just flashed toilet paper after I blew my nose and the toilet water came all the way up and leaked out. It was shocking, it took about 45min to somebody to come, and after that it took another 30 min to somebody to come and give us clean towels as we had to use ours for cleaning the mess. This all happened in the middle of the night so we couldn't go sleep till about 2am. I wouldn't stay in this hotel again. The only good thing about this hotel is the Name and the location. Don't get fooled by good website and great pictures...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank milsy p

Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Rest assured that all of your concerns will be addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I never write negative reviews, i always believe that there must be something good about hotel....for me to book in the first instance. The pictures on their website are misleading. The reception is lovely but our room for 2 adults was a single room with a queen size bed in it which took up nearly the whole room. We obviously requested a change but were told was fully booked and take it up with our travel agent....at the end of the day they should never have booked us into a tiny room. Location is gd but nothing else is. Room was dirty, air conditioning unit was old and really noisy. My advice-really make sure you get a room for 2 people if travelling as a couple.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Fife_Family01

Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. ALL of your concerns have been noted and will be addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Let me say, the lobby looks old world and nostalgic. However, my room's air conditioning did not work and it was uncomfortably warm. The folks on the phone didn't seem to care. However, thankfully the maintenance man did an A-1 job and found us a room that the a/c did work but he had to look at a couple of rooms to find one. So, the room itself was okay, but the bathroom hadn't been remodeled. There really was no place to put your things, but hey, its NYC, right? So it was a little difficult to manage for two women. The next morning we went to the restaurant to see if we wanted to eat there and the hostess was so rude that we opted to eat somewhere else. I guess that's also NYC? So we got a bagel at the hotel quick shop and it is also self serve. I'm from a place of "hospitality" where folks try to guide you a bit - there was none of that offered here! But on a positive note, there was a great place to eat "Uncle Pauls" just outside and around the corner where they are very nice. The food was good also. We tried to eat there as much as possible. But about the hotel, if I went back, I would try to spend a little more and stay at a Hyatt. I don't think I would stay here again. I like to enjoy myself and be treated a little better when I spend my money.

Room Tip: Make sure the a/c works
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Yous concerns have been noted and will be addressed with the department managers. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here 8th to 15th june. Was worried by negative reviews before we left . Stayed as a family of three with a teenager. Nothing to have worried about. Room was a large corner room on 6th floor double aspect windows over looking madison avenue. Great location. Only negative we found was the noisy air con but you can always turn it off! This is a 4 star hotel. If you have 5 star expectations then I suggest you pay for them.!! Would definately stay here again. Good value for money.

Room Tip: Corner rooms very spacious
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank a h

Thank you for your comments and review. We are happy to hear that your stay was worry free and that you will return. Thanks again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I am staying here in Room 1744 for business as the rates were so high elsewhere this week in New York. It is not bad. I do not like the elevator or lobbies as this hotel gets too many tourists and fewer business types. Elevators can be a bit slow, but not bad.

After that, service was very good. Front desk great, housekeeping great. No complaints. Room is fine, bed excellent, tv great, internet superb. It is really all I want. I am happy and surprised as this room is over $100 cheaper than where I usually stay and it is just fine.

No complaints here and I will book here more often for the price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments and review. We are so pleased to hear that your stay was great and that you found our affordable rates to your liking. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.