“Great location, great room - we had no complaints”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #375 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Luton, United Kingdom
“Great location, great room - we had no complaints”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Roosevelt with my daughter. We booked this hotel last September through their website following a recommendation from a friend who stayed there a couple of years ago. Having kept track of all the complaints on tripadvisor I was frankly dreading staying at the hotel and was seriously considering cancelling and booking somewhere else. However, my daughter persuaded me not to, mainly because of it's brilliant central location. I did however, send an e-mail to reservations about 3 days before we arrived expressing my concern over their poor tripadvisor reviews. I had a prompt reply assuring me that everything I said would be addressed.

On arrival we were initially served by an efficient (although I would say somewhat brusque) receptionist. We were checked in but as it was only 1pm our room was not ready. I had no problems with this. We checked our baggage in with the guys at the desk who were very friendly and efficient and then went off to explore. On our return we saw a different receptionist who was very friendly and she told me we had been given a room upgrade on the 18th floor. We collected our luggage and they took our room number and the brought the luggage up for us. We had a lovely corner room. It had plenty of room with two closets with hanging space and shelving. There was also a large unit with shelves underneath the TV. Plenty of storage space. The room was clean and as it was on the 18th floor, very quiet, which was lovely. Yes, the bathroom was small, but it was clean and the shower worked well with plenty of hot water.

The air-con is loud. No doubt about it. However, I had come prepared with some ear plugs which worked well and enabled me to sleep with no problems. My daughter didn't need the ear plugs - she was able to blank the sound out. So, I suppose it depends on if you are a light sleeper or not! The air-con may be loud, but it does the job very well and kept the room nice and cool. I did consider turning it off, but the room would have been unbearably hot.

Initially our in-room safe didn't work. I made a call and maintenance were with us within about 15 minutes. The safe just needed new batteries and it was fixed within 5 minutes. I had occasion to speak twice more with reception and on both occasions the staff were friendly and efficient. We didn't eat at the hotel as it is expensive, but with such a plethora of cafes, restaurants etc. within minutes of the hotel, this was not an issue. We used a cafe in the dining concourse at Grand Central a couple of times for breakfast and that was very reasonably priced and you could have just toast, right up to a full cooked breakfast, so plenty of choice.

We did use the bar downstairs and the staff there were lovely. I must absolutely mention Bill, the concierge. Such a friendly helpful guy. He loved to chat and gave great advice. He also booked our helicopter trip for the last day. A credit to the hotel!

The location of this hotel is fantastic. 5 minutes walk from Grand Central with numerous subway connections, 10-15 minutes walk to Times Square, 10 minutes to The Rockefeller Centre. We used the subway extensively and found it easy and quick (once you got the hang of it). Buy a metro card, load it up and then keep adding to it as you need it. When we flew in to JFK we decided to get to the hotel via airtrain and subway. That was so easy and cheap at $7.50 per person ($5.00 for the airtrain and $2.50 for the subway). You get the airtrain from the terminal to Jamaica Station, you then buy a metro card, selecting airtrain and metro, which pays for the airtrain + the subway. The E train takes you all the way to Lexington 53rd street, then you change onto the 4, 5 or 6 for one stop down to Grand Central Station. As long as you don't go through the barriers you can travel all the way on the subway for just $2.50. Don't try and pull your suitcase through the subway station barriers, push it underneath, then swipe your card and walk through yourself. We got a taxi to return to JFK because we had more luggage and it was heavier. We hailed a taxi outside the hotel and it is a flat rate fare of $65 to JFK (this includes tolls and tip).

So, I was very pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It's central location is a huge plus. It is not a tourist hotel, it serves the business traveller. However, if you are visiting as a tourist and as such will be out and about all day, then this will serve your purpose extremely well.

Room Tip: Get a room as high as possible to minimise noise from the street. Either book a better room or get a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank sue190747
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for your comments and review. We are so pleased that you decided NOT to cancel and make the Roosevelt a part of your holiday. Thanks again for your great feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

So, should you book the Roosevelt hotel or not ?

The easiest way I can explain what you are booking when you book the Roosevelt for anyone in the UK is that the standard rooms are the equivalent of a Premier Inn room. You get a bed, not very big, a TV and a bathroom and you get air con. The beds are quite small, probably a standard double rather than queen or king size and very soft meaning that you sort of roll together which isn't very comfortable. We also sat on one end of the bed, just to change our shoes, and the bed tipped up which came as a bit of a shock.

The TV doesn't have hundreds of channels, the bathroom was worn and old and the rooms aren't very large (looking in at other peoples rooms). the "wardrobe" is about 2 foot wide and six inches deep with 4 hangers so don't expect a long stay or somewhere to hang all of your clothes at once if you are staying longer.

In your room you get an empty ice bucket and some paper cups. If you want a kettle you have to ask reception. The receptionists are officious, standoffish and little short of rude which was such a shame because everyone else we met in New York were polite and very friendly ... complete strangers would stop in the street to offer help when we were looking lost.

The rooms are "cleaned" every day ... but when we were checking out we looked under the beds to ensure we hadn't left anything behind and found someone else's socks. So, yes the rooms are cleaned every day but I can't say that they are cleaned that well.

In a similar vein, I did think I would have a bath but it seems that showers must be more popular. When I turned on the bath tap, brown rusty water came out.

Breakfast is the same thing every day and costs US$28 each plus tax so more like US$30 or £20. Its not great. You get served one glass of juice and one cup of coffee and if you want more you have to ask.

We couldn't have a late check out and its the first time that I've seen someone look at me as though I had two heads when I asked. The Roosevelt is a business traveller hotel, not a holiday maker hotel. No one took our bags to our rooms, we had to carry them ourselves but we could leave them with the porters when we left subject to the usual tip.

So, thats all the bad stuff about the hotel. What about the good stuff ?

The hotel is superbly placed to explore New York. You really couldn't have a better location. The standard room we had (which we booked for 3 people) was large for Manhatten .. but that may be because we booked for 3 people. The rooms do come with a mini safe that you don't have to pay for.

Finally, the bar staff are fantastic - make you feel very welcome and give great service. The best thing about the hotel and a credit to them.

Should you stay at the Roosevelt ? Personally, I say "yes" because of its great location but be aware it is of 3 star quality and so don't expect anything better than that. If you want better than 3 star (if you are staying for more than a few days) then the Roosevelt possibly isn't for you. Just so you know, the hotel was packed with pilots, stewards and stewardesses from the airlines in their layovers which tells you all you need to know about quality versus price point.

Like I say, its a great location, the rooms are OK but not great and its not excessively expensive but if you are looking for something special for your trip or creating some sort of holiday memory then The Roosevelt probably isn't for you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Philip F
Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies for any issues you did encounter during your stay. However, good travel tips regardless of where one stays. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel last week, it was OK. Nice lobby. The room was very small with barely enough room to move around. The bathroom was equally as small. I decided to have drinks and nibbles in the lobby bar. The food was nice, the service was average at best. On the positive side it's right in the middle of things and the price, given it's location in NYC, was not too bad.

Room Tip: The room air conditioning was very noisy
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comment and review. Yes, guest rooms in NYC tend to be on the cozy side especially when compared to other major cities. Our apologies if the Roosevelt did not meet your needs. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
Sndy Springs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is conveniently located at Madison Avenue and 45th. Convenient from Laguardia and JFK airport. Close to shows and restaurants with easy access to cab and limo service. So if you don't plan to spend much time in your room it may not bother you that the room is small-- it's not a vacation hotel in my opinion nor did I find it particularly attractive for business stays. On the plus side, CHECK-in was fast and easy, Bellman was friendly and promptly brought up our luggage when our room was ready. We arrived prior to check-in time and was granted access at no extra charge. The rooms are functional, bedding is satisfactory but I did not feel the bathroom offered a collection of luxurious amenities as stated on the web site and it is definitely not conducive to getting ready for a night on the town. Cramped and limited shelf space. The hotel does not cater to those with discriminating taste and in my opinion does not embody the Roosevelt name of class and distinction.

Room Tip: If you book directly with the hotel express your specific needs and concerns. If you book through a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, we do have the ideal location and our rooms, as most NYC guest rooms, can be on the cozy side especially when compared to other major cities. Thanks again for your feedback.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My fiancé and I were in NY for our friend’s Wedding. The wedding was in Long Island so we decided to stay in the city for a night. Our friends had a room at the Roosevelt so we decided to stay there as well. We arrived to the hotel around 10pm and it was pouring down rain so valet parking took longer than expected. Not a big deal I get it they cannot control the weather. When we were finally helped by the attendant we were given a ticket and he asked if we needed helped with our luggage, we declined. He said whenever we were done unpacking just leave the car there and give him the keys. When we were done we left the car there just like her instructed and gave him the keys before we walked inside the hotel.

Check in went smooth, no lines and the welcome agent was accommodating. Hotel lobby was nice, nothing out of the ordinary really, it was what I expected it to be.
Our room was a standard hotel room, again nothing spectacular. No issues with the room. Everything worked well, AC, hot water and it seemed to be clean.

We left the hotel around 11pm to meet up with our friends. We when walked out front the hotel our car was still sitting on the side of the street where we had left it with the valet. We thought this was odd but didn’t really think too much of it because it was kind of busy and it was raining so we figured they would park it later. The doorman put us in a cab and we left.

We returned to the hotel around 4am. To our surprise our car was still parked in the same spot. We stood outside the hotel to talk to a valet guy but we could not find one. We were tired so we just went to our room.

The next day we checked out with no problems until we went to have the valet pull our car around. I believe his name was Al, but I’m not 100% sure. Too our amusement our vehicle was still parked in the same location. We gave the attendant our claim check. He went over to the podium opened his box and stood there for a minute. He closed the box with a bewildered look on his face. My fiancé explained our vehicle was right there so we just need the keys to load up our bags. He then informed her he had no information on our vehicle and had idea where the keys were. We then became part of an investigation. “What time did you arrive?” “What did the attendant look like?” “Are you sure you gave him the keys?” We answered all of their questions and they had a suspect who they thought might have the keys. They thought the attendant who worked last night left the keys in his pocket and put them in his locker. They checked his locker and no keys. They called the same individual and he did not have them either, he had no idea. About 20 minutes went by and we were not getting anywhere. I figured by now at least a manager would have come out to speak with us but that didn’t happen. I went inside to talk to a manger. After waiting 5-10 minutes at the front desk and manager finally came out to speak with me. I believe his name was Armando but I am not 100%. I informed him we had a wedding to go to and did not have time to waste. He assured me he would fix the situation. If he needed to he would get us a car service to take us to the wedding while they figured the key situation out. That would have been fine but I had to get in my car because my suit for the wedding was in it. We continued to talk about possible solutions for another 20-25 minutes. Finally a valet ran inside and informed us they found the keys in the garage.

The entire valet mishap took over an hour. We were almost late for the wedding. The manager continued to apologize for the situation. Needless to say he removed the parking charges from our bill. He also went as far as removing the charges for our room. Honestly I think it was the least the hotel could have done in that situation. 100% negligence on their behalf, the valet should have realized something was wrong when a car was sitting in front of the hotel all night.

The entire team that assisted us was awesome. I wish I could remember all of their names so they could get the recognition that they deserve. They did not cause the problem but they did whatever they could to help solve it. They even gave us a bottle of champagne for the wedding we were going to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments and review. Wow, great recovery. We are so happy to hear that our staff was able to resolve the issue and went way above your expectations. Again our apologies for any issues you experienced with valet. Thanks for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next stay.
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Even with a renovation in the last few years, according to their website, the Roosevelt Hotel is still an old property. The rooms were typical NYC sized rooms, and although the bed was comfortable and the shower and faucets worked properly, the room still had an "old feel". The lobby and amenities there were an added nice touch. Great location in midtown and the prices were lower than the usual hotels where I normally stay. If you are in this area for business, and just looking for a place to sleep and bath and you want to save some money without any extra amenities, then, this may be the place. But check out other reviewers first and do some tripadvisor searching to see if this is the place for you. PS, the ac noise was louder than most, which some may not like, but it also produced a lot of white noise to counter act the NYC street noise.

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room, and good luck, the A/C noise is quite loud.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, our rates cant be beat for midtown NYC. Thanks for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were very disappointed by this hotel. This holiday was for us very special and we wanted to get great classic hotel in New York. Roosevelt definitely looked like perfect hotel from the website. It wasn't cheap so we thought its going to be one of the better ones. It had old style magic which unfortunately was only great pictures on the website. Reality was far from it. When we arrived after 24 hour flight, we were very tired but excited and very happy to be in the New York city finally. On our arrival we received No welcome and cold, short approach from the reception lady. Very unprofessional, didn't explain anything, didn't help with any questions we had . Gave us impression that we were bothering her. She didn't explain where the room was so we spent another 20min searching hallways to find our room as the corridors are divided in even and uneven numbers. Hallway smelled like cigarettes every day. Room was average, walls had pealing paint. Bathroom was very old and had pealing wall paper and mould on the bathtub corners, pealing paint inside of the bath. One of the evenings we had blocked toilet for some reason. Came back from the dinner just flashed toilet paper after I blew my nose and the toilet water came all the way up and leaked out. It was shocking, it took about 45min to somebody to come, and after that it took another 30 min to somebody to come and give us clean towels as we had to use ours for cleaning the mess. This all happened in the middle of the night so we couldn't go sleep till about 2am. I wouldn't stay in this hotel again. The only good thing about this hotel is the Name and the location. Don't get fooled by good website and great pictures...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank milsy p
Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Rest assured that all of your concerns will be addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your valuable feedback.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels