“Unpleasant surprise”

Ranked #375 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Baltimore, Maryland
“Unpleasant surprise”

Unpleasant surprise

Sometimes you get what you pay for this trip was not one of those times. My wife and I are school teachers in Maryland and decided to go to NY as tourist for the first time we are from NY originally. I booked a Superior King room for me and my wife. Misleading name this is the hotels standard room with a king bed. Room was tiny… the bathroom door hit the toilet as it opened and closed no photo. The second room was normal sized but not clean fire sprinkler covered in heavy dust, table was beat to hell and the chair had what looked like blood stains. On our way down to the front desk I explained the problems to a bell hop and he got my room switched to a sweet for no extra charge. Now this room here was very nice. Don’t get awe struck with the sweet lobby and settle for a sub par room they have some good ones. Poor because I had too much aggravation in order to get a good room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Will J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,265)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom

We stayed here for two nights in May 2014

We had done masses of research trying to find the best location and decent reviews for our budget. Though we were concerned with the mixed bag reviews on trip advisor we went ahead and booked the Roosevelt .

We arrived by bus from JFK , which dropped us next to grand central station. The Roosevelt was around 2 minutes walk from grand central station. Though it looks little run down from the outside all the building looked in a similar state. We went to check in and the staff at reception were efficient and helpful . The lobby is grand and very well laid out.

We personally were only looking for a base , to sleep and leave our bags. We realised that any room in New York would be expensive and if you expect a huge room you will be paying a large amount or staying further from the "action". The room had a huge bed , TV and a standard bathroom. It was clean and tidy , and exactly what we expected. Not lots of space but who is staying in their room when you have a whole city to explore!

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel and instead picked something up from near by Starbucks, so can't comment on food there.

There is a room top bar which was lovely , and you get a good view from there of all the surrounding buildings, it's pricey but worth it just to get the New York feel of roof top drinking!

The location is perfect, with everything within walking distance . I especially loved the close locality to Times Square, and the many restaurants.

We would stay here again ,though it is worth booking In advance so you get a good deal.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NHardwell
Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After reading a mixed bag of reviews about this hotel, I was very doubious about what to expect. I travelled the middle of may for a week.

On arrival, I was impressed with the lobby that I had heard a great deal about via trip advisor. It was pleasing on the eye, a nice area to have a sit if you pleased or grab a drink at the bar. The reception staff were very friendly and polite. I had no trouble with the attitude of staff during my stay. I work in a hotel myself and understand what it is like to work in hospitality.

I agree with most when they say the lobby is very extravagant but when proceeding onto the rooms and corridors they aren't as extravagant. However, the hotel is keeping with tradition it does what it says on the tin so to speak. It s a classic hotel, may be in need of some renovation but it is a prime location for shopping, sightseeing and exploring. So you can't really fault it for that.

I found the room clean, spacious enough and ideal for what I wanted. Which was somewhere to use as a base for my trip. I wasn't looking to spent a lot of time in my room so for me I wasn't over concerned with the space in the room. I would say if you are looking for a hotel where you can unwind in your room at night, watch tv and relax then it is not the best hotel for that purpose. If like me you just wanted it as a bas for exploring then it is ideal.

The concierge Michael was fantastic. He was such a great part of my trip. He was knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much for him and he always asked how the show had been that he had recommended the previous day. Of course, in America tipping is expected, however it is greatly appreciated.

Overall, I enjoyed New York, the hotel and experience. I would recommend the hotel for its great location and staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Becca H
London
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The staff here have a very bad attitude, there is no such thing as customer service. The elderly couple ahead of me were treated rudely by the unlike lady monster in reception. I knew this was going to be interesting. I arrived at 1 am due to the storm in NY the flight was delayed I was not prepared to take her attitude. She did not say "Hi how are you" and neither did I. She gave me the smallest room but that was not the problem. I didn't bother saying thank you and gave her the look which said don't expect a tip. Even the house service staff were rude.

I would not re-visit this hotel.

Room Tip: Tip is do not bother with this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hitish G
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

we stayed at the hotel from 2nd to 7th july 14 arrived very tired after a long journey to find they had booked us in on the wrong date the guy on reception had a bad attitude and wouldn't accept responsibility and blamed my holiday company they finally sorted it but the room which they said was an up grade was disgusting,very dingy dark room with dirty windows u couldn't see through and generally very tired looking so I went back to see my friend on reception who proceeded to tell me my expectations were too high but I stood my ground and eventually got another up grade the room was brighter but still very tired mould in bathroom a/c not working properly, wall paper coming off,paint peeling, god knows what our first room would have been like as the room we got was two upgrades.overall it was very over priced I will not stay here again and would not recommend, apart from location and lovely lobby we were very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie J

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This hotel was arranged for us as part of a visit to USA on the basis it was a fairly safe choice.

Certainly, the location is excellent and the lobby looked grand as we entered. Unfortunately, apart from a fairly reasonable breakfast, we found almost nothing else to commend this hotel, particularly in the price bracket.

Our room was small and needed re-decoration, lifts slow, lobby over-crowded most of the time and so on. No free wi-fi, which I find unusual. However, the most depressing thing about this hotel was the rude service from staff - may be that's just New York style, but I got the impression that most of the staff felt that their jobs were beneath them. There were one or two very nice & helpful members of staff, but very few indeed. I wouldn't bother going back somewhere like this.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wf1968
Guadalajara
Reviewed 8 July 2014

What you see in the pictures is what you get. The room was ok, clean and the bed was comfy. The personal was amiable. Short distances to walk to the moma, st patrick, grand central station, rockefeller and times square.

• Stayed July 2014