“Great location, way overrated. ”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #396 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights with two children in a deluxe deluxe room. It was a spacious room, especially for NY standards! AC was a little noisy but I like white noise. At least it worked! We were on the 18th floor, thankfully. Bathroom was not impressive but I knew I was getting a 100yr old building that had been renovated. And I knew I was paying for location, not room quality (sheets looked good on the bed but barely covered the comforter or the mattress). Bath and Body Works toiletries provided. Grand Central Station is one block over with tons of food and entertainment if you like people watching. Bryant Park and the NYPL are three easy blocks over with lots in between.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank TBudinich

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Let me begin by saying that this hotel was built in 1924 and is a beautiful part of NYC history. That said, if you are into modern decor don't stay here. The reason we choose this hotel for our 2 night stay was mainly for the location (my granddaughter's first trip to NYC)- walking distance to Time Square, Empire State Building, Central Park and it is next to Grand Central Station so getting to anywhere in the city is so easy. I love old houses and their history and loved being able to stay in a place that has had such a glam past! The lobby is incredible and it lets you imagine seeing Jean Harlow walking through with her bags from Fifth Ave! Our group was 5 people and we had 2 rooms on 2 different floors.The rooms are nice but I have stayed in better (and worst). It was clean and safe- there are no frigs in the rooms. I know others have said that the staff were rude- I didn't find this to be true. As I checked in, Wendy was both quick and efficient- ( as a Southern gal who once lived in New Jersey, I believe New Yorkers can get a bad wrap for being rude but I have never found that to be true- they just don't have a lot of time because their reality is rush- rush). Now that said ...the door men never spoke to anyone going or coming through the front doors (they did spent lots of time BSing with each other. My granddaughter & I rolled our suitcases on to the curb and were never offered help). I also noticed the bellman had a lot of time to chat with other employees while I saw several ladies in heels trying to bring suitcases up the front steps of the lobby. There is rude and there is uninterested in the job and I believe the Roosevelt could stand to improve in that area. When you pay more to stay in this hotel, than say Comfort Inn- and the service is crummy , it isn't unreasonable for guests to expect a bit of service that they would not usually get from a cheaper chain. The only other hotel employees that I came in contact with were the housekeeping ladies and they were very nice. There is street noise,sirens & lots of folks blowing horns-(hey, it's NYC not John Boy's meadow) but the ac units do a good job of covering the noise. The rooms are smaller than most I've stayed in but again, it's NYC, real estate is at a premium. If you are not planning on staying in your room a lot, it works out fine. We had driven our car and had to park in a garage. My hubby researched the area and found the closest garages and went on line and found coupons for discount prices ($39 instead of $49 per day). If you park then be ready to leave your car in the garage for the duration of your stay as it is way easier and cheaper to take public transportation. For me, the pros outnumber the cons and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KarenandTom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

In addition to unfriendly staff at their Grill and their bell hops, the facilities at the hotel were barely acceptable. Peeling ceilings, torn drywall, broken doors and stained bathtubs were intolerable when you consider the hotel's history. I don't recommend this hotel at all.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Pauline L
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our first impression, seeing the scaffolding surrounding the building outside, was a bit apprehensive. But once inside, no evidence of renovation, just a beautiful air of elegance and history. Staff were pleasant, tho always apeared too busy. The rooms were small, but what we expected. Loved the old world charm of the Roosevelt, and the position. We were able to reserve late seats on Broadway one evening, and still had time to all walk back to get changed and arrive on time. The area felt safe to walk around with children, even late at night. Only negative - charges for internet use in rooms $15 per day per device? so the lobby was always very overcrowded . Would love to return.......One day!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cookstoursagain
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip. The location is convenient - right near Times Square and Grand Central. The lobby is beautiful with old school charm and grace. However, the rooms/bathroom are dated and need updating especially considering the price range per night for this hotel. Rooms are assigned upon check in and even though I had asked for a King Bed, the room I was assigned had 2 Doubles. I did get a room on the 16th floor (the hotel is 18 floors, 19th floor has the roof bar) which was pleasantly quiet and noise free. The lower floors may be too noisy as you are right smack in the middle of NYC. The only decent thing about the room was that the bed was comfy, even though it was just a small double versus the King bed. The bathroom was blah. For this price range, I would recommend other hotels in the area to stay at.

Room Tip: Try to get the highest floor possible for your room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MJBaig
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just returned from a two day break to New York with a family eleven people, we stayed at The Roosevelt Hotel, got a fantastic deal through hotels.com.

The hotel staff where absolutely great which made the experience thoroughly

Opposite the hotel was a small cafe called Cosi cafe, please stay clear of that place as there is one particular member of staff that certainly needs training in the art of manners, I won't go into detail but please don't go in unless you just want a load of abuse

Room Tip: Try and book a double, double bedroom, it just gives you that extra space
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kevin j
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night as location is perfect for where I need to be. The lobby looks grand and checking in is smooth but room looks very tired (especially the bathroom) and towels looked old. I stayed in the 4th floor and window looks out to the some wall at the back of the building. I was disappointed considering its not cheap. I will think twice staying in this hotel again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business