“Great Hotel”

Ranked #396 of 469 Hotels in New York City
A TripAdvisor Member
Birmingham England
Reviewed 27 November 2004

Well me and my friends decided to have a long weekend in New York and after looking at the reviews on trip advisor decided to stay at the Roosevelt and we were glad that we did. I’ve seen a few bad reviews of the hotel on this website but noticed that many more were good. Some people have complained about the noise from the street, we were on the 7th floor and had no problems at all. Some others have complained about the size of the rooms I don’t know if we were lucky but we had a massive room with two large beds an on-suit bathroom with bath and separate shower. My other two friends stayed in another room just down the hall it was a little smaller but had the same beds and still enough space to make it comfortable. The lobby of the hotel was beautiful and what’s more important is that the hotel is perfectly situated in the middle of midtown Manhattan which means you can walk just about anywhere you need to go (we certainly did). Also its right by grand central station so you can use the underground if you need to go further afield. Just round the corner is the empire state building and in my opinion its the best attraction in New York we went up there in the evening to see the sun set over Manhattan it was breathtaking. If your going to New York I would defiantly recommend the Roosevelt and will be staying there the next time I go.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 24 November 2004

Just returned from a 6 night stay at The Roosevelt Hotel and thought it was fantastic.

It's a beautiful grand old hotel. The staff were very pleasant and helpful, the maid did a great job and was very accomodating. The concierge was very helpful in recommending shows, shuttle bus to JFK airport etc. The room itself was clean and comfortable, I can't speak for the internet conection as I didn't use it, but the bed was comfortable and the free use of the safe was much appreciated. The bathroom was rather compact but aren't they all?!

It's perfectly located, ideal for most of the sights especially the Chrysler Building and Empire State. The breakfast was rather expensive but there are plenty of delis and shops nearby where you can grab breakfast. I usually got a hot breakfast from the deli right next door and took it back to my room and ate in bed! There's also an ATM (cashpoint) in the deli next door.

Tip: make use of the subway shuttle route to and from Grand Central to Times Square. Even if you are scared of the subway this only goes from one stop to the other so it is virtually impossible to get lost and it saves your feet from pounding the pavement! Look for the shuttle signs and the grey/liliac colour 'S' symbol.

7  Thank Lyndsey B
Reviewed 16 November 2004

I just returned from a 2-night stay at the Roosevelt. I couldn't have been more pleased!!! The staff was very nice, couteous and helpful - I felt well cared for. Upon check-in, I received a free upgrade from a twin to a double. My room was still small (I prefer to say "cozy"), but spotless, freshly painted and well-appointed. The hotel is right in the center of everything. I spent a lot of time downtown and uptown, so its location was perfect for me.

Thank you, Trip Advisor, for leading me to the Roosevelt for a terrific weekend!

• Stayed: November 2004
3  Thank rtbabb
A TripAdvisor Member
new york city
Reviewed 7 November 2004

Totally overpriced - what a disappointment - this place has never heard of customer service - trust me - it doesn't help even if you're hosting an event at the place (over $200K) - if you like stinky bathrooms - this is your place - guaranteed mold smell - shower curtain most disgusting smelling I've ever experienced - AC/heater works when it feels like it, and yes it is noisy - bring your earplugs, you'll need them - high speed data - lies all lies - didn't work once during 3 day stay – as you try to bring these to the appropriate management’s attention – they don't return your calls!!!! – no interest - front desk has no idea what's going on - catering - food: overpriced and under delivered - after breakfast/lunch/snack - dirty tablecloths - empty bottles everywhere - lack of management and direction everywhere - professional event organizers - profesffional business travelers: highly recommend avoiding this location - casual travelers and tourists - you can survive a few days there if you don't spend any time at the Roosevelt. Obviously people go to this place because of the name and obviously this is the only reason this ‘out door museum’ is still in business.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 November 2004

We booked a nonsmoking room with two double beds. It was spacious, much more so than I would have expected. The bathroom was a decent size but the sink had a bit of a drainage problem with an attendant odor -- nothing too noxious. The Roosevelt had a nice breakfast buffet for a good price. Overall, the Roosevelt is a decent value with a great location and pretty nice rooms.

Reviewed 5 November 2004

We stayed here in June on our first trip to New York. The location of the hotel was perfect with Times Square, Grand Central Station and many other sights a very easy walk away. The room was fine, small, but well furnished and very clean. Our room had hair dryer, safe and an iron and ironing board. As well as the main restaurant there is a little take away coffee shop in the lobby which opens at breakfast time as well as a bar for later in the day. The lobby area is attractive and vibrant. There were plenty of lifts and we never had to wait long for one either going up or down. The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient. We would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank TwoUKtravellers
Reviewed 28 October 2004

I stayed at The Roosevelt Hotel in October 2004. While traveling around the city, I enjoyed the close proximity of the hotel to Grand Central Station and to the great shops along Madison Ave. All of the front desk and baggage clerks were polite and helpful. The room was small, but clean and well-maintained. It was bit pricey, but I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank chem_dr