“Great Location but there is better locally for same cost.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan
Ranked #279 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Location but there is better locally for same cost.”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

The location is the thing in this older hotel of course. Subway is half a block away, Macy's is also very close, and it is right in the middle of Korea Town, so there is abundant food available at great prices. If you are visiting NY on a budget or just need to work in the vicinity it is a great place to be. Empire State Building is also half a block away.

Check in was smooth and friendly, no help whatsoever from the 'doorman' who was almost laying on the couch in front of the TV and didn't even acknowledge we were arriving, but there are 2 elevators so it was easy to get to the room.

I have stayed in many hotels local to this one, and I think this was possibly not the smallest, but certainly one of the smallest rooms around. There are 2 suitcase racks in the closet, but unless I was to totally block access to the bathroom, there was nowhere to even put one, so my suitcase ended up on the dresser, underneath the TV. Nice TV by the way, flat screen +/- 32"?

The beds I found, as did my colleague staying in the next room, were too soft for our liking, although this is of course personal taste. Comfortable, but soft.

My main complaint was the size of the room, and the noisiness of the room. This was room 601 and apart from the as usual, noisy AC, (which is to be expected) there was a constant loud humming from outside the window, which was permanent. I guess this was a central AC or similar, but it made sleeping without ear plugs impossible.

The bathroom was sufficient, barely, with old style taps in the tight shower, and presumably as a result of another room using water at the same time, the shower was either going too hot or too cold all the time. Not really acceptable. Surely it is not too much to ask to have a pressure stabilizing mixer installed in today's market?! The towels should definitely be replaced though, as they were thinner than the shower mat, and not nice to use at all, although there were 3 of them.

The breakfast is usual low budget fare, bagels were fresh as is expected, although there was no coffee one morning, but that was soon rectified.

WIFI is free, although we both had a number of issues with the slowness of it as well as being disconnected on a fairly regular basis.

For the price, which was reasonable, it was not too bad, although there is a neighboring hotel which is a very similar price point with bigger rooms and I think better facilities overall.

Another big failing to my mind was that the room had not been made up by 4.30pm when I had got back to the room and wanted to make some business calls, and as a result the person responsible wanted to come in at 4.45pm and do it, whilst I was trying to get some work done. She then complained that she couldn't wait as she had to be finished by 5pm... NOT MY PROBLEM! She came back 5 minutes later and had to do the room while I was on a call, which was totally inconvenient as far as I was concerned. I would say that the latest the room should be made up was by 3pm at least.

I always ask myself if I would stay here again, and my tentative answer is yes I would, although it would certainly not be my first pick if there was space in one of the others in close proximity.

Based on the room I was given, I would not recommend 2 people trying to share this room as there just would be no space at all.

One last thing, in room 601, don't bother to open the drapes a the view was of an old dirty building from both windows!

You do get what you pay for I guess!

Room Tip: Don't get room 601! Too noisy! Don't bring much luggage as there is nowhere to put it.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Mike G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 3 August 2012

If you want heap this is what you will get. Two bad instances , one they cancelled my reservation and I was not notified until I arrived. Ended up in a closet of a room. The other time I had a reservation for two nights was delayed because of weather. I was assured the one night was taken care of but it showed up on my credit card. Called la Quinta corporate and was told it was the owners decision and they could not help.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Scott B
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Associate at La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Scott B,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry about your reservation being canceled. It is our policy to cancel any reservation made with an invalid credit card. We tried to contact you and left a message for you about this. When you arrived, we honored you rate and reservation, since we had available rooms.
On the second occurrence, you called to cancel your first night. If a guest calls to cancel a reservation at 3PM EST the day before check-in, they will not be charged a no-show, but anytime after that, it is our policy to charge the guest for that night. We are sorry for the inconvenience this caused you.
We hope that you will give us another chance on your next trip to Manhattan.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Cayey
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The hotel in general is OK. The person attending the breakfast area was very diligent with his duties. The check in personnel are courteous. The only problem I found was a very rude and uncourteous Luggage Tender/Doorman Mr. Roberts. Very unprofessional with his dealings with people, he wants his tips before he even touches anything and absolutely no courtesy is given to guests of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank alrodrigo1957
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Stayed 6 nights with my wife on the 6th floor (604), the room was located on the back side of the hotel with an amazing view of the Empire State Buidling! Room was clean with a small closet which could fit 1 large suitcase and hanging clothes. 3 large drawers for clothes below the 32" TV.

Breakfast consisted of your typical breads, doughnuts, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, juices, coffee, bananas, apples.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a room located in central Manhattan, subway station on same block, cvs pharmacy on same block, Empire State Building one black away, free wifi, free breakfast,"box store" shopping 1block away, always feel safe, subway ride from hotel to Times Square in one stop!

The rooftop bar VU is on the 14 (13) floor. GREAT view of the Empire State Building. Beer is $6 and cocktails $ 10

Value, Location, Empire State Building, free wifi, free breakfast, total about $200 nightly.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Thomas L
Jacksonville, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2012

A very good place to stay. A short walk from Penn Station, 34th Street subway, and Time Square. Continental breakfast was good, and they will store your bags on day of arrival (before check-in) and the day of departure (after check-out) to allow you to see more of the city without lugging baggage around. Staff if friendly and helpful!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mike75766
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

I can't have good words for this hotel. Rooms are so small that we didn't even know where to put our luggage. The only good thing about is the location, in the centre of Manhattan. Dirty, smelly and noisy.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank simleon
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce & Marketing Associate at La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear simleon,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were not pleased with your stay. Our rooms vary in size, but most are about average for hotel rooms in Manhattan. Our staff works very hard to ensure that the hotel is very clean for our guests. We are currently renovating the rooms in the hotel, so perhaps this contributed to the noise level. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Most guests return for the excellent location and value. We offer free amenities that you will not find in all Manhattan hotels, such as free breakfast, WiFi, and domestic phone calls, all at a competitive rate.

We hope that on your next trip to New York City, you will reconsider staying with us.

Liz from Apple Core Hotels
New Jersey
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband and I have stayed here multiple times for these reasons: 5 minute walk from Penn Station, friendly and helpful staff, good value most weekend nights, and rooftop bar with unbelievable view of the Empire State Building. They are renovating some floors now and the new room we just stayed in was very nice. Rooms seem larger than others we have stayed in within this price range. Rooms are also quiet.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple