“Hotel for 4”

Ranked #289 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
“Hotel for 4”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Reminder that this is NYC and the rooms are small but we were able to secure a room for 4 of us with two double beds over a weekend in Midtown Manhattan. Little amenities but the city is the reason to visit and not staying in your hotel room. Comfortable beds and decent showers made it a great spot to sleep and just store our belongings.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheDirtyCrawl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
puerto rico
Reviewed 15 August 2012

we stayed here on nov 2011 for black friday shopping and to visit family in the city. this hotel is between 5th and broadway a couple of block away from MSG maddison square, macys and Empire state building. You can get to 42nd st on a 25 min walk, not bad or a subway just around the corner. Location on this hotel is a plus. remember this is a budget hotel on a city were room are expensive. NY is not Vegas. For the price you get decent rooms clean, adequte size, with some noise insulation noise could be better nothing to worry about unless you are a light sleeper. Breakfast is free has limited options, but good. there are many Korean restaurants around the hotel.and price is great

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oestepr
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Room was a decent size and clean. Upon entering the room, I checked the bathroom and it passed my expectations. It was so central to either walk or take the nearby subway. There were Korean restaurants nearby, which was a bonus at the end of the day, since dinner is a few steps away.
Complimentary breakfast was included, but mostly toast, bagels, doughnuts, coffee and juice. We didnt expect much as we got the reservation at a good price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cassandara
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2012

The location is the thing in this older hotel of course. Subway is half a block away, Macy's is also very close, and it is right in the middle of Korea Town, so there is abundant food available at great prices. If you are visiting NY on a budget or just need to work in the vicinity it is a great place to be. Empire State Building is also half a block away.

Check in was smooth and friendly, no help whatsoever from the 'doorman' who was almost laying on the couch in front of the TV and didn't even acknowledge we were arriving, but there are 2 elevators so it was easy to get to the room.

I have stayed in many hotels local to this one, and I think this was possibly not the smallest, but certainly one of the smallest rooms around. There are 2 suitcase racks in the closet, but unless I was to totally block access to the bathroom, there was nowhere to even put one, so my suitcase ended up on the dresser, underneath the TV. Nice TV by the way, flat screen +/- 32"?

The beds I found, as did my colleague staying in the next room, were too soft for our liking, although this is of course personal taste. Comfortable, but soft.

My main complaint was the size of the room, and the noisiness of the room. This was room 601 and apart from the as usual, noisy AC, (which is to be expected) there was a constant loud humming from outside the window, which was permanent. I guess this was a central AC or similar, but it made sleeping without ear plugs impossible.

The bathroom was sufficient, barely, with old style taps in the tight shower, and presumably as a result of another room using water at the same time, the shower was either going too hot or too cold all the time. Not really acceptable. Surely it is not too much to ask to have a pressure stabilizing mixer installed in today's market?! The towels should definitely be replaced though, as they were thinner than the shower mat, and not nice to use at all, although there were 3 of them.

The breakfast is usual low budget fare, bagels were fresh as is expected, although there was no coffee one morning, but that was soon rectified.

WIFI is free, although we both had a number of issues with the slowness of it as well as being disconnected on a fairly regular basis.

For the price, which was reasonable, it was not too bad, although there is a neighboring hotel which is a very similar price point with bigger rooms and I think better facilities overall.

Another big failing to my mind was that the room had not been made up by 4.30pm when I had got back to the room and wanted to make some business calls, and as a result the person responsible wanted to come in at 4.45pm and do it, whilst I was trying to get some work done. She then complained that she couldn't wait as she had to be finished by 5pm... NOT MY PROBLEM! She came back 5 minutes later and had to do the room while I was on a call, which was totally inconvenient as far as I was concerned. I would say that the latest the room should be made up was by 3pm at least.

I always ask myself if I would stay here again, and my tentative answer is yes I would, although it would certainly not be my first pick if there was space in one of the others in close proximity.

Based on the room I was given, I would not recommend 2 people trying to share this room as there just would be no space at all.

One last thing, in room 601, don't bother to open the drapes a the view was of an old dirty building from both windows!

You do get what you pay for I guess!

Room Tip: Don't get room 601! Too noisy! Don't bring much luggage as there is nowhere to put it.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Mike G
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 3 August 2012

If you want heap this is what you will get. Two bad instances , one they cancelled my reservation and I was not notified until I arrived. Ended up in a closet of a room. The other time I had a reservation for two nights was delayed because of weather. I was assured the one night was taken care of but it showed up on my credit card. Called la Quinta corporate and was told it was the owners decision and they could not help.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Scott B
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Associate at La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Scott B,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry about your reservation being canceled. It is our policy to cancel any reservation made with an invalid credit card. We tried to contact you and left a message for you about this. When you arrived, we honored you rate and reservation, since we had available rooms.
On the second occurrence, you called to cancel your first night. If a guest calls to cancel a reservation at 3PM EST the day before check-in, they will not be charged a no-show, but anytime after that, it is our policy to charge the guest for that night. We are sorry for the inconvenience this caused you.
We hope that you will give us another chance on your next trip to Manhattan.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Cayey
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The hotel in general is OK. The person attending the breakfast area was very diligent with his duties. The check in personnel are courteous. The only problem I found was a very rude and uncourteous Luggage Tender/Doorman Mr. Roberts. Very unprofessional with his dealings with people, he wants his tips before he even touches anything and absolutely no courtesy is given to guests of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank alrodrigo1957
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Stayed 6 nights with my wife on the 6th floor (604), the room was located on the back side of the hotel with an amazing view of the Empire State Buidling! Room was clean with a small closet which could fit 1 large suitcase and hanging clothes. 3 large drawers for clothes below the 32" TV.

Breakfast consisted of your typical breads, doughnuts, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, juices, coffee, bananas, apples.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a room located in central Manhattan, subway station on same block, cvs pharmacy on same block, Empire State Building one black away, free wifi, free breakfast,"box store" shopping 1block away, always feel safe, subway ride from hotel to Times Square in one stop!

The rooftop bar VU is on the 14 (13) floor. GREAT view of the Empire State Building. Beer is $6 and cocktails $ 10

Value, Location, Empire State Building, free wifi, free breakfast, total about $200 nightly.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple