“Quality”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan
Ranked #301 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Looking for a reasonably priced , clean, safe with consistent quality in hotels is a challenge when traveling to NY specifically to attend plays. Not spending a lot of time at the hotel, but still wanting a good rest . Our last trip we stayed at another hotel, which was closer to the theaters but had some issues ( toilet wouldn't flush, shower did not drain...yuk) . I knew LaQuinta's consistent quality so chose it even though it was about a mile ( a New York mile is short) from the theaters. Super comfy bed, clean, excellent housekeeping and helpful desk staff. Breakfast is continental and sufficient. Right next door is a wonderful Korean Restaurant , New WonJo, newwonjo.com so after arriving late and not wanting to go out far this was perfect and sooooo delicious.

Room Tip: We chose a King size, room is small....it's New York after all....but had everything you need...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,666)

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is my 4 th stay at this hotel,repeat visits are because of location and overall cleanliness of the hotel.Sadly upon check in we were met by a very rude receptionist ( female) she was very unwelcoming and placed us on the 14th floor which was very noisey hence its proximity to the public bar! we were not informed about breakfast times but luckily i already had a good idea.Upon check out we were barked at by a very rude hotel porter who said there was no room to store luggage! I settled my account with a very polite gent who asked if the stay was ok,i informed him of the noise factor on the 14th floor.He explained that guests were normally put there if they had a late check in? we checked in at 4pm which was 1 hour after the normal time this was further proof that the very rude female at check in had deliberately
placed us on the noisey floor.In all typical New York attitude and arrogance!!!!!La Quinta manager i hope you read this and address the female she will lose you business.

Room Tip: Keep off the 14th Floor very noisey and lots of coming and going,also beware of the elevators no sig...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Snorbitz62
Reviewed 13 May 2014

It was my visit nr. 15 to NYC and I must say it was one of the best options I've ever found.
The location is perfect, very close to 5th avenue and Penn station and also close to grand central. If you want to wonder around the city uptown and downtown is perfect, you can walk almost everywhere!
The rooms are big and there is free Wi-fi and they offer a free breakfast, not gourmet obviously, but not bad for NYC.
The staff is nice and being a small hotel makes things easier.
I found it very quiet for NYC.
Overall a fantastic option for around 200 USD a night.

Room Tip: ask for a room on higher floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Pedritocalheiros
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My sister, niece and I recently stayed at La Quinta Inn little Korea. I had stayed in this hotel several years ago, before it was remodeled. At the time I paid $99 per night. Which was resonable for the type of hotel. The rooms were larger. On this trip I paid tripple the price. Yes, the hotel was remodeled. The beds were very comfortable, room was typical small NY rooms. Clean room, coffee maker, large TV, AC did not work. Room faced the street, very noisy with construction noise starting at 5:00 am. The bathroom is small but very clean, modern with lots of clean towels. There is breakfast complimentary, very weak coffee, powder eggs, pastries, waffles and bagels. Its OK being that is free. A typical breakfast in NYC will cost you $8 to $10. There is a roof top bar, its nice, the young locals use it. Closed to Herald Square and times square. Lots of good Korean BBQ restaurants. Safe neighborhood. I recommend this hotel but ask for a room away from the street or you won't sleep much.

Room Tip: No rooms facing the street too noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2014

All in all I had an excellent stay at the La Quinta, and would definitely stay there again.

It was the first time in NY for my two children (and probably the last time for a while) so I definitely wanted them to have the NY experience, and that meant staying in Midtown Manhattan - location, location, location. I was prepared to pay what I had to to avoid staying in an utter fleabag (think: Hotel Pennsylvania) but at the same time I couldn't spend all my life savings, so I did quite a bit of research, and ended up staying our three nights at the La Quinta Manhattan. The location was excellent, in the middle of Korea Town, and since we were using Amtrak the proximity to Penn Station made it even better.

The La Quinta wasn't shockingly cheap, but it was definitely excellent value. The room was spacious, even enormous by Manhattan standards, and was clean and well kept - obviously already saying more than most hotels in the area I have endured. The bathroom looked brand new, and, again, was clean and hygienic - none of the usual Manhattan mold or general dinginess. The price even includes a breakfast buffet of relatively good quality - plenty of different kinds of pastries, hard boiled eggs, certainly enough to get you started. It's very rare to find a hotel in the US with breakfast included, so this helped save costs in a generally outrageously expensive city. The internet is free and works fine, again contrary to other hotels I have stayed at (of comparable price) where using the net was pretty much hopeless outside of the lobby.

The crown jewel was my experience during a plumbing problem I had once during my stay. Somebody came almost immediately, and went in and out a couple of times with different tools until he fixed it. He then mumbled something and slipped out quickly, before I could tip him the (typically astronomical) sum I had been getting ready. I honestly thought he was going to come back and was waiting in my room, bill in my hand, but no, it honestly seemed like he had fixed the problem and just left, without the usual standing there saying "so where's my tip?" fanfare. I'm not in the business of giving people money, but he did quite a lot of work in what was a pretty disgusting situation, so, this being the States, I felt it was only fair that I give him something for his work. Twenty minutes later I called the front desk again. He came again, looking worried because he thought that the problem had returned, and when I told him I just wanted to give him his tip, he actually refused to take it. It wasn't even like he was insulted or anything - he was polite and smiling throughout, and just saying he was only doing his job. I have never seen anything like this anywhere in the States, much less NY. Really, the staff of this hotel (at least him) deserve a medal for this. Maybe the La Quinta pays their staff a decent wage and they don't have to scrounge for tips, unlike people working in any other hotel or restaurant in the country? I don't know, but if that is the case, hats off to them.

The only negative thing I would say is that there were only two, somewhat small lifts for the entire hotel, so going anywhere often involved a wait. The breakfast room also got very crowded in the mornings. But both of these things were very minor compared to the positive experience I had.

Room Tip: Like I said, the lifts are a bit inadequate, so you actually might want a room on one of the lower f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank the_green_line
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I travel to NYC frequently and have stayed more than a few times in this hotel. At the end of the day, it is less expensive and very convenient for me ( about 2 blocks from Penn Station and less than 1/2 mile to Times Square). That in and of itself is worth something. On top of that they really do have a great front desk and housecleaning staff as well. They are really friendly and helpful. I have never experienced anyone on these two staffs who was not great.

Unfortunately the rest of the story is not as good. Even with a recent facelift this hotel is old and out of date. The lobby is better than before but the rooms are still small and dark. Next,while the breakfast is included in the price, it is about the most meager breakfast I have gotten in a hotel. Free but not worth much more.

However, the worst negatives are the shower and the elevator. First, the shower. I stayed there last week for three nights and took four showers. Only once did I ever get even warm water and that was the case even if I turned the shower on and let it run for 10 minutes before I got in. I guess if you like cold showers this is the place for you. Then comes the elevators. I am used to slow and small European and NYC elevators but these may be the worst I have ever experienced. It is not uncommon to wait 10 minutes and then have to crown uncomfortably onto a small slow elevator if you need it at normal rush hours. I am not sure they can fix this so buyer beware and plan ahead to leave plenty of time.

I am sure I will by necessity stay with them again based solely on cost. If I do, I am sure I will love the front desk staff and the housecleaning folks as well. Having said that cold showers and impossible elevators should make this a later choice unless those things do not matter to you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Steve F
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-commerce Associate at La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Steve F,

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us, but are surprised that you were so disappointed in others. The lobby and rooms have all recently been renovated in the past year. We continually reevaluate our free breakfast to make improvements that will please more guests.

We apologize for the lack of hot water for your showers. We will certainly look into this situation. Please let us know in the future if you are not receiving any hot water in your room so we can try to fix it.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the elevators. Sometimes during busy hours of the day, they can get a bit held up.

We welcome any comments on how to improve our business, and hope to welcome you again soon.

Liz from Apple Core Hotels

Reviewed 2 May 2014

A place that is great value, location, service and close to subway is La Quinta Inn Manhattan! We staying 3 nights and it's a great place for such a central location. Price was under $250 per night for a queen size bed with private bathroom and clean, which is way less than all the others I looked at. Will definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple