“Be Not Afraid...”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan
Ranked #295 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 August 2010

The La Quinta in Midtown is not the nicest hotel in Manhattan, okay? But...it is perfectly acceptable and a terrific value. Here's a nice touch--when we were checking in, the clerk saw that I had kids with me and asked if I wanted a non-smpoking room (I had mistakenly booked a smoking room online).

Our room was clean and cold (in a good way). The two queen beds in the room (that we had asked for) had very comfortable memory foam on them. The room had a nice flat screen TV and an in room lap top safe.

The hotel also stored our bags when we arrived before check-in time and after check-out (while w were waiting on our train later in the afternoon).

Location was very, very good with a half-block walk to a subway station and easy access to Broadway. We all thought the Korea Town location added to the fun. Very safe area.

Save your money on a hotel room by staying at La Quinta and spend it on dinner at Babbo!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,626)

Reviewed 13 August 2010

just spent two days at this hotel with my daughter. We wanted a central location in order to shop for clothes. The hotel was clean and check-in and out were quick and painless! There is a free breakfast and they hold your luggage after check-out if you like. Free Internet.
Close to subways and a quick walk to Time Square.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 9 August 2010

After researching online for several days, I came across this hotel. Our requirements were 2-beds, in a location that was close to all the major areas of NY for under $250. We were only staying for a night, so we really only needed a place to lay our heads. This was our first trip to NY, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The reviews at Tripadvisor and Yelp were really helpful, so I felt like I should contribute as well...thanks to all!

First off, let me address the other reviews that complained about the "stink"...EVERY block in downtown NY stinks. It has nothing to do with this location being K-Town. There are strange smells emanating from every subway vent, alley and vagrant in all of downtown Manhattan...K-Town is no different. These people probably never even set foot in the subway. If you're worried about the smell, don't visit NY. The stench you find in the countryside when the farmers are spreading manure is waaaay more horrible and it's a constant barrage on your nose for weeks.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION...The location itself - very convenient. There is a subway station right on the block. You're within walking distance of several attractions and anywhere else, you can take the subway. There is a parking garage on the same block that La Quinta validates for...$26 per day.

Pro Tip: If you're a newbie to NY subways like us, take along a NY map that includes the subway and educate yourself. It's a bit complex, but once you figured it out, you can take the subway anywhere and get there in no time.

K-Town, where the hotel is located was safe enough for us. Most of the people that frequent this area are college age Korean kids and are much more well behaved than anything I've seen in any college town. There are police EVERYWHERE here, so atleast you can have some comfort in that. NY is still, NY, so take the proper precautions.

The rooms are clean. I've stayed in some nicer hotels (business related travel) and I'd rate the rooms up there with them. We had a 2 Queen room and it's HUGE compared to the King room that my brother stayed in. The price is the same, so if you want a little more space, get a 2 Queen room. The beds were really comfy...with "memory foam" mattresses. I really want one of these beds now that I've actually slept in one.

I mentioned that the area was "safe", but we did have some strange activity in the hotel. There were several undercover cops (supposedly) searching the hotel for someone. We have no idea why. An officer knocked on my brother's door (which was open) and told him to keep it closed. Also, in the afternoon I smelled something nasty coming from the stairwells...I thought maybe someone went to the bathroom and the smell was coming out of their room. However, later on that night my brother and I walked up to the 14th to go to the bar and we find a HUGE pile of feces at the top of the steps on the 11th or 12th floor. It was pretty disturbing...even more disturbing is that it had been there for several hours. Either no one reported or no one bothered to clean it up. Ok ok, I didn't report it either, but it was late and I wanted to check out the bar scene...and mind you, this pile of crap had been laying there since sometime in the afternoon and it was after 10p when we discovered it. Someone HAD to have reported it by then...especially the people who stayed near that stairwell (I smelled it from 2 floors down!) and if not why isn't their any hotel personnel checking the hallways? For some people, this is all it would take to get a horrible score, but I'm pretty laid back so, it was only a minor blemish. It made for a good story to tell my friends when we got home though.

The 14th floor bar is both a pro and a con. It's a nice little rooftop bar that has a cool view of the Empire state building (pro). It's a pretty popular place, but what struck me as strange is that I was expecting a bunch of koreans here and instead, I felt like I was in an Irish pub at State College. However, since it's so popular, you get a crap load of traffic coming in and out of the hotel. Which means that the elevators...small and slow moving elevators...are always packed (con)...reviews about the elevators are spot on. Also, like I said earlier, there doesn't appear to be any security in the building, so someone gets plastered and decides to poop on the floor, it'll probably go unchecked (con). I never felt that I was ever in any danger, but just be wary.

The front desk clerks were pretty indifferent. They answered my questions that I had and reactivated room a key that went dead. So they did their job. If you're coming here expecting them to be bubbly and giddy to see you, you're not going to get that. This is true for most of NYC in general...people just aren't as friendly as they are in say, Lancaster, PA. Which is fine by me. By the way, the one asian (korean?) girl that works in the little shop there is a cutey!

At about $250 (after taxes), you're not going to get much better than this hotel in Manhattan. It's still expensive...but comparable to staying in any major city or beach hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Your day starts with B,fast.On the website they have boiled eggs,cappaccino,hot cereal.pastries,waffle-Nothing of this kind was there.B,fast attendant with a headgear & Big smile did help to keep my cool.I came back after B,fast hours but was still allowed a cup of coffee and a banana.
Frontdesk was apologitic towards B,fast without a smile.I will comeback to this hotel again because my business trip was successful

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Specialist at La Quinta Inn & Suites Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2010

Dear Rachel85_10:

Thank you for staying at La Quinta Manhattan! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you would come back. We sincerely apologize if the information on the franchise website is not accurate. We will take the steps necessary to fix this issue. However, while we do not have boiled eggs, we do offer muffins and danishes in place of pastries as well as oatmeal (hot cereal). We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Thank you again!
Myriam from Apple Core Hotels

Reviewed 4 August 2010

The title says it all, this hotel is located slap bang in the middle of manhattan, literally in the shadow of the Empire State building. By New York standards this hotel is great value for money. The rooms are a good size and have the standard facilities and also free WiFi. The business centre in the basement is great for checking in online and printing boarding passes, there is also a tourist office in the hotel to help plan your stay. The rowdy rooftop bar is another great feature though can be quite busy and noisy.

The only downside to this great hotel is the breakfast which is very basic but you kind of expect that at this price, the real problem is the lack of organisation and seating which means it can be a bit of a scrum. Your best best is to quickly grab something before heading out for the day.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Just returned from a 4 night stay at LaQuinta. Overall location was excellent...close to Time Square and 5th Ave. The room was very nice and the continental breakfast met our needs. If you are seeking protein for breakfast....don't bother it was a carb fest. The hotel staff was not very pleasant...upon check out I was not asked if i enjoyed my stay. invited to stay again or anything. My major issue was with the elevator...it was very slow....so we walked the 5 flights of stairs the majority of our stay. If you stay here ask for a lower floor or be prepared to walk stairs or wait awhile for the elevator. For the rate paid...you cannot beat it and Korean Town was interesting as well. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Travel dates May 21, 2010 for 5 nites. I am a La Quinta Inn follower. I am a member of their hotel program. I go to New York city often and now that I found the La Quinta, just one more nice thing to look forward to. Located in Korea Town (K-town) very close to subway; Macy's literally right there and 34th street retail and Madison Square Garden.
Many diverse establishments including grocery, cafes very close with the Empire State Building down the street.
The rooms were very nice; I paid 150.00 + taxes of course --per night. Clean rooms, nice bathroom. Nice lobby with FREE continental-type breakfast. Love this. There is a bar/restaurant on the roof-top. Nice touch and views of (Empire state building and more).
La Quinta offers room types including AARP, AAA, Military; helps with the price.
LOVE THIS PLACE AND WILL RETURN.
B Roberts