“best city in the world”
Review of New York City

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Neighbourhoods
Neighbourhoods
San Juan, Puerto Rico
145 helpful votes
“best city in the world”
Reviewed 17 March 2010

New York is simply the best city in the world.

You won't find another place in the world, where (I think) every nationality is seen past in front of you every day.

It never sleeps, great shows (broadway), a lot of pizza & hotdog places.

1 Thank WaiPRUSA
Dublin
“It really is the town that never sleeps!”
Reviewed 4 March 2010

I spent a month in New York City, visiting all the different sites sampling breakfast/ lunch from every diner I could visit!
The city overall is fantastic, there is always such a great buzz no matter where you are. There may be a que for the more popular attractions, but they are definitely worth a look.
Everyone should visit New York City at some point - there couldn't be another place like it!

London
13 helpful votes
“Mums with daughters in New York.”
Reviewed 27 February 2010

A friend and I took our two 17 year old daughters on a special treat to NY. We of course took far too many clothes and the ones who refused to wear hiking boots (guess) got very sore feet from pounding the pavements for 6 hours a day! New York has changed so much in the 20 years since my last visit. Its clean and safe and most of the natives are very friendly with the exceptions of cab drivers who were pretty universally monosyllabic.(even the English speakers). We all felt safer in New York than in London! The subway was cheap, spotless and very easy to use.
We got a fantastic deal of flights and 4 nights stay in the Roosevelt for £500 each in February half term. The Roosevelt was great - just what we needed. Excellent location next to Grand Central station. The hotel was smart and grand in an old fashioned sort of way and the rooms were fine - not too small which was my worry as I was sharing with a messy teenage daughter. Television was a ridiculous size ie huge. We tried to watch some but gave up - what is it with tv in the US - one word - unwatchable. It was a no frills deal which suited us as we were on a tight budget. I had no idea how much money to take and budgeted roughly for 10 dollars each for lunch and breakfast with about 30 for the evening meal. We came in under budget every time. We found the food much cheaper than expected and totally delicious. The girls had made a list of all the food they had to eat - chinese in chinatown, pasta in Little Italy etc and we valiantly worked our way through the lot.
Probably the most expensive part of the trip but definately worth every penny was organising a private tour with Real New York Tours. We were shown and told things that we would never have found in a hundred trips to the city. Our guide Jimmy gave us an excellent overview of the history of Manhatten. He got us into places normally closed to tourists with just a nod to the doorman and tailored the tour to what we were interested in. We found the Ground Zero part of the tour really moving as Jimmy was able to paint such a personal picture of that day. The next day
we took a trip over to Williamsburgh which was brilliant. This is just a couple of stops on the subway and well worth it if you want to see the new and edgy side of NY. I suppose its a bit like London's East End. Lots of cool quirky shops and restaurants. A warning though - nothing seems to open before 12 so we drank a lot of coffee that morning waiting around. The girls were really interested in thrift shops and vintage things so we really 'did' the flea markets. Overall we found NY pretty good price wise for food but everything else was very expensive - especially clothes and bags. Anything vintage and nice was really pricey - we were amazed. The bags on Canal street were all totally dreadfull - really bad copies of very ugly bags and stupid prices. So we bought very little home with us. Wisely we did the Empire state building at midnight after our supper - no ques at all. We just zipped straight up. It totally took the girls breath away with the beauty of the view. Magical. We managed to get to The Guggenheim, Frick and Moma which were all excellent. So much to see still - we will have to go back next year. I think we will try to stay on the Lower East side as this was an area we kept getting drawn back to.
Most bizarre eating experience - Go to Le Parker Meridian on 56th street between 6th and 7th Avenue. Big grand foyer - the usual for an up market hotel in this area. However in the corner is a bizarre theatre curtain arrangement - floor to ceiling. Totally out of place. Watch and you will see people coming out from behind this curtain. Be brave and explore. Behind the curtain is the best burger joint in town. Very small - again no frills at all. Not quite spit and sawdust but close. All sorts were in there - fur coated ladies of indeterminate age and tourists like us and city bankers (who tried to make out the weren't!) and locals Best burger and fries and fantastic price. Still wondering what on earth was going on in that hotel - it was all so incongruous. Also worth a visit is Apothaki in China town. We were shown this absinthe bar on our tour. On the outside it just looks like a run down boarded up chinese restaurant but knock on the door and go in - wow! you are back in the 1900s - all draped green velvet and banquettes - very decadent. We would love to have gone back in the evening when it was open for business but our girls were too young to get in. In Williamsburgh - the best streets are Grand and Bedford. All the restaurants looked great. We ate in a Thai one called Sea - delicious. Later that day we found a great classic diner for the waffles and pancakes part of our trip. Arrgh! the waistline. Apart from our own gift purchases (few!) and the flights and hotel we spent 1300 dollars for four of us for five days. Including all sights/museums/tours/food etc and quite a few taxi rides. Which we thought was great value as we didn't feel we held back particularly.

4 Thank coco3959
Lisbon, Portugal
106 helpful votes
“I LOVE NY”
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I remember everyday that is my favourite city until now.. It was the most incredible two weeks of my life. June 2006.
If you can rent an apartment, is cheaper than hotels an you can have more privacy. Mine apartment was in Spring St. between Mott and Elisabeth (Soho/Nolita). It was fantastic!!!!!
I LOVE NEW YORK

Poquoson, Virginia
23 helpful votes
“We found a great little hotel, it only opened in Dec. 2009”
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I wanted to write about the new Fairfield Inn Marriott at 21 West 37th St, New York, N.Y. 10018. Evidently, it is so new, it kept rejecting my review of this hotel.

We found this little gem and stayed on Friday the 19th of February 10 and ehcked out on Sunday. It is between 5th and 6th Ave.

Of course everything was brand new and that was delightful. The rooms had wonderful king size beds, the closets and drawers were very small and the bathroom could have used more shelves. I know it must have been a man who designed these aspects!. Sorry guys! However, what was lacking in storage space was certainly made up with the wonderful people who work there. Everyone was welcoming, happy and went out of their way to please. My Husband just won a coveted award for 50 years of accident free flying, this was my gift to him. Unknown to my Husband, my son and his girlfriend joined us. Dan the Bellman, got myself and the the other two, into the adjoining room and then knocked on my Husband's door. Told him he had a surprise for him. He opened the adjoining door and my Husband was so happy, he teared up.... when he saw us all standing there.....
I would like to thank the following people. Anthony, the front desk Manager, Danny the bell boy, Vivian, Alexandria and the other kind people that sadly, I don't recall their names. I woujld strongly recommend this hotel to everyone. All of the help in that hotel went out of their way to be kind and pleasant..... it cannot get any better than that..... they even had a very nice little free breakfast in the morning and that made it so convenient. . Try it, you will like it!

2 Thank Kushka

Been to New York City? Share your experiences!