“Excellent Hotel for Zion”

Comfort Inn & Suites Cedar City
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Cedar City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ripon, WI
“Excellent Hotel for Zion”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Comfort Inn while visiting national parks in Utah. While a previous bad experience with hotels in this chain led us to avoid them for several years, our experience here changed that. The staff was friendly and helpful, allowing us to check in early and providing maps for area restaurants. The room was spacious, clean, and quiet, the latter being a surprise as there was major road construction outside. Breakfast was excellent and the location, right off Interstate 15, was extremely convenient. We will be looking for Comfort Inns in the future.

1 Thank BillW611
David S, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Cedar City, responded to this review, 12 March 2015
Dear BillW611,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. We at Choice hotels like to provide the same experience no matter what hotel you stay at. We have made more improvements since your last stay, most recent addition was new and comfy beds, so come back and join us again, then be sure to ask our friendly and knowledgeable staff, about some of the other local attractions as well. Again thank you for your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
San Diego
Reviewed 19 July 2014

On the good side, our room was spacious and in good condition. The staff was quite polite. The breakfast was well above what you might expect in terms of choices and amounts. On the bad side, the hotel seems to be intentionally understaffed (example: front desk clerk also staffs breakfast room, apparently alone). When we had Wi-Fi problems (able to connect to router fine, but continual Internet interruptions), we got the runaround from the front desk clerk (e.g. I'll reset the router) over and over. Not fixed. Next day, same thing. Considering the hotel's 100% satisfaction guarantee, asked to speak with the manager (who was offsite). Ultimately spoke with him onsite and it was a painful conversation (e.g. "You have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, the Internet didn't work, I am not satisfied.") He seemed a bit flummoxed over what to do. I ultimately suggested a refund of the $25 pet fee we had paid, to which he readily agreed. Ten days later that refund had yet to be processed and probably never will be.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Maulik V, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Cedar City, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule and giving us feedback about your stay. I absolutely remember you and the whole issue, since you were the only one had connectivity problems with our internet service. I was also the one who helped you on the day of your check out. I requested to let me help you by troubleshooting your laptop, since you were the only one person who could not get the internet connection, but you refused to do so. You said you were trying to connect the phone as well. I was using the wifi on the same network at same time we were talking and it was functioning absolutely perfect.
Your room was also booked by the third party travel company and not directly with us. We absolutely have 100% satisfaction guarantee at Comfort Inn if we could not fix the problem, but you never gave us a chance to fix the problem. Your room was booked on Priceline, and you were trying to use Comfort Inn's 100% satisfaction guarantee policy. So I was trying to figure out how to compensate you for the inconvenience you had and did not allow us to fix it. And at the same time you immediately suggested to have your pet fees waived, and I agreed promptly.
On the other side, I am so glad you liked our hotel. Our staff is well trained for multitasking. Our staff members often perform more than one job duties. I thank you again for giving us an honest feedback, but I can assure you that your next trip will be more comfortable if you give us enough time to fix the problem and not wait till the morning.
We hope to see you soon on your next trip. Thank you kindly.

Maulik V.
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Well worth staying here. It was quite surprising to find a room this nice for the price. We have stayed at ritzier places not this well set up. Breakfast was good and fresh. Definitely will be coming back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for writing us amazing review. We are so glad to know that your stay with us was comfortable. Our location is perfect for Shakespearean festival or even to visit Bryce and Zion national parks. Currently, due to the construction around our area, there has been a bit of inconvenience for our guests to find their way to our hotel. But it will be over soon.
We want to thank you again for choosing us for your lodging needs. We will see you again soon on your next tip to Cedar City.

Maulik V.
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were pleasantly surprised that they had a perfect arrangement for three of us. We had two connected rooms, one with a balcony, that shared one bath. Wonderful arrangement for us and just a little more than the cost of one room. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dave17411
Dear Dave,
Thank you so much for your review of the hotel, We do everything in our power to accommodate every type of client. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Oak Glen, California
Reviewed 8 July 2014

As I entered the lobby I was greeted with a big smile! Great vibe! Front desk person was CHILL, NOT uptight and fake! As I went down and read each review, I thought...."God, these people need to get a life, pick up a hobby or get some sense!" They complain about nothing! If you don't want to spend money, don't travel, if you want better rooms, there's the Marriot, Hilton, etc. If you're animal allergic, don't stay at a pet friendly facility, buy your own breakfast if you don't like what you see, don't come in with an attitude if you want outstanding service. These are only employees that are doing their best. As a manager of my business, I say to the manager of Comfort Inn....let your staff talk and defend themselves, customers are wrong most of the time. I felt really bad experiencing a nasty woman yelling at the front desk clerk just because the coffee wasn't strong....GO TO STARBUCKS STUPID HAG! Thank you Ash for outstanding service and thank you for keeping us safe, night security Kim and the chef Amy thank you for the food! Next time I come through, whip me up some steak and over easy eggs. You all rock! Don't listen to most of the idiots that come and go you all have beautiful smiles and great teamwork. Kudos to the maids! You have great staff Mr. Manager!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank GodsAhole
Alli S, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Cedar City, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I must tell you, it is enlightening to hear such a positive review. There is nothing we appreciate more than an honest opinion of our property. Each staff member does their absolute best to provide for each guest, as some are more particular than others. I am most happy to hear that you appreciate and notice our hard working staff. Our manager, Mauilk, works very hard and takes his job seriously. Our cleaning staff and cooking staff do the best they can to provide for everyone and to keep up with the cleanliness of the rooms and to keep the hot breakfast hot and the cold breakfast cold.

Our hotel is a great hotel and we take pride in what we provide for our guests! Again, we thank you for giving an honest review of our hotel, it is refreshing to hear each and every time that what we do is appreciated and that we are meeting the expectations of our valued guests! Please come stay with us again soon, as it seems you had quite a nice visit!

Alli
Guest Relations
Denver
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I really like Choice Hotels' suites. They are modern, clean, spacious, and comfortable. This one is no exception. Breakfast was also as expected which was totally acceptable. The breakfast could be improved, however, if the scrambled eggs weren't so "granular" (small pieces that are hard to balance on the small, plastic forks).

Note: I rode my bike down Main St (turning left out of the parking lot). It was among the best rides I've ever had on public roads. (I've ridden in 27 states.) The shoulders are huge and smooth. The drivers and courteous. I rode all the way through town onto the highway where the speed limit is 55mph for a total ride of 30 miles. Fantastic!.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rick A
Alli S, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Cedar City, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Rick,

It sounds like your trip to Cedar City was quite an active one! We always like to hear that our guests enjoy themselves in the city and in our hotel. We are happy that you have remained pleased with the Choice Hotels brand!

We hear often that our hotel is conveniently located between many popular tourist sites so there is always plenty of activity going on around town.

We appreciate you taking time to leave a positive, honest review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you sometime soon!

Alli
Guest Relations
St. Paul
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed here for one night last week. Upon entering the room late, the air was stifling despite the fact the AC appeared to running. Setting said 70 but that was impossible - cranked it down to 67 and after 5 minutes could hear compressor kick in. Things improved some but this thing must have been on it's last legs. Decided to hang in there and hope for the best ... woke up at 2:00 AM, kicked off covers and slept on top of the sheets for the rest of the night. Not what I expect from a $110/night place.

The salt in the wound over this whole thing was that, upon checkout, we requested the manager to re-do the bill using our AAA discount (didn't have our AAA number when we checked in but found it in the morning). They said "sorry ... it's impossible to change it now". Not feeling the greatest after the hot night I called the main Comfort Inn customer service (Select Inns?) about it. They say they have no control over this since the place we stayed is locally owned and operated. So no remedy there - In this day and age, how hard is it re-bill a person at checkout? I'm certain that a re-billing would have been possible had a towel been missing that I would have to pay for.

Also, this is another place that will scam you on a "safe fee" in the room. The fee is purposely set at $1.50/night which obviously isn't enough for a person to get into a bind over. On principal, make sure and tell them you refuse to pay this fee if you haven't used the safe (hopefully before checkout). Reminds of flying on Spirit Airlines where they charge you for every little thing.

Bottom line is OK ... Comfort Inn you win and got an extra $11.50 from me for this stay but I will never stay in another one again.

2 Thank Pete S
Dear Pete,

Hello my name is David, I am the guest relations manager, at the Comfort Inn, Cedar City, Utah. I would like to apologize for the many inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. I would like to assure you that we have improved many things over the last year, to make a clients stay more comfortable. We do apologize for the safe fee, that is a recurring charge that the computer automatically puts in. As the manager had said, without an act of congress it would have been very hard to change the bill if your room was booked through an online portal.