“A Comparatively Plush Hotel with Good Breakfast - Pretty Good Value”
Review of Abbey Inn

Abbey Inn
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Cedar City
London, UK
“A Comparatively Plush Hotel with Good Breakfast - Pretty Good Value”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

This review (it starts after the dashed lines below if you want to straight to it) is part of a 'set' of hotels/motels/attractions I stayed in/experienced whilst touring the region in and around southern Utah, aiming to visit the fantastic National Parks there, by hire car in May 2011.

I have created an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' which details the numerous significant attractions I visited/the places I stayed in enroute and includes a tour map and (hopefully) lots of helpful information/Internet/Trip Advisor links.

Trip Advisor haven't (yet ?) properly integrated it for direct access: to get to it you start by doing the required action to see my individual TA reviews/photos/videos (which I hope you will !) by mouse-clicking my profile 'name' located in the top-left corner of this review, below my profile picture of the Giza Pyramids, then mouse-clicking the blue 'Reviews' link from the resulting pop-up window. As well now being able to see my reviews, you can then access my Trip List by looking in the left-hand 'Contributions list (there you can also see my photos/videos direct) and select 'Trip List' - it is entitled 'Las Vegas + South Utah National Parks + Monument Valley, Arizona - May 2011'; click the title link and away you go - easy, NOT ! (TA admin please note !)

For accommodation my price range was $50-$60incl/night (occasionally up to $90incl due to local 'inflation'), for non-smoking rooms in establishments which were best located for visiting the nearby venue (sometimes for several days), that were TA reviewed as quiet/clean and should be well-equipped (eg fridge, wi-fi); I was not too bothered about what eateries etc were in the local area, nor if there were things like a swimming pool, as my days were maximised for visiting the associated National Park/hiking etc, the room being used to reflect on the day/'unwind'/sleep in !

-------------

I originally booked a 2-night stay at the Abbey Inn direct from their website to use as a base for a day-visit to nearby Cedar Breaks NM. However, I arrived having taken advantage of their 24hr cancellation policy and had, easily and without any quibbles from them, amended my booking by phone the day before to just a 1-night stopover, since the Cedar Breaks scenic drive was still impassable due to snow; the cost was $68incl for a twin-bedded room on a Sunday night.

The hotel is located in a built-up/busy area; the smart reception area is at the front, separated from the road by a large car park meaning the side-facing rooms are setback from the road enough to make for a relatively peaceful stay. There is plenty more parking space at the sides, adjacent to the rooms and the setting does mean you shouldn't expect any outside views of any note.

The check-in staff were efficient and courteous; this was only the third place I stayed provided handy information regarding the cable-TV channels etc (why can't all places provide such info ? I've got better things to do than flick through some 99 TV channels of, mostly, absolute rubbish !). Directions/times for breakfast at the dedicated dining 'house' located behind the hotel were also provided.

The room was very plush with lots of pleasant antique-style furniture which made the overall appearance a little 'dark'; there was a desk and soft armchair. Towards the en-suite bath/shower room with WC was a cubicle for the fridge/microwave together with a luggage/hanging area. The integrated aircon worked very effectively, as long as you note the instructions on the standard-looking fan unit to ignore the control knobs and use the separate wall-mounted thermostat/switchbox ! Everything was clean, smart and tidy with a comfy bed with no bed bugs (I have never had them in ANY bed in ANY hotel and am of the opinion that reviews which mention them are malicious !). The w-fi also worked fine.

As advertised, breakfast was more than the 'usual' as it included scrambled eggs/sausage as well the usual toast etc; unfortunately the increase in quality didn't include preventing diners having to eat with polystyrene plates/cups and plastic cutlery (yuk !), but you can't have everything I suppose !

I've had little remarkable to say about the Abbey Inn as there is not much to quibble about; for somewhere clean and comfortable to stay in central Cedar City which is fairly reasonably priced you can't really go wrong.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank LPWilliams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Located right off of the Cedar City exit on I-15, the sold out motel looked like the best in the city, and it was perfect for what we were looking for.

The room was very clean, and it even included a mini fridge and microwave. The bathroom was spotless, and the only thing missing was a fan in the bathroom (hey, it would have helped!) The flat screen TV made it very modern, and the AC unit worked perfect and wasn't too noisy. It was a little loud next door, but it was full of a bunch of guys (but they went to bed before midnight). The extra fast free WIFI made the evening great.

My wife and I couldn't park outside of our room due to the sold out status, but it was a short walk to the larger lot near the front of the motel. The pool looked good, but we were hoping that it would have been outdoors.

The best part of the stay was the full breakfast that was offered in the small house behind the motel. Eggs, waffles, sausage, oatmeal, fresh fruit, coffee, orange juice, apple juice, and more were great to start the day. Only thing missing were hash browns! (my favorite).

All in all, we did not spend much time there (only one night, checking in around 6 and leaving around 8 in the morning) but it was great for our stay. We will stay again.

Room Tip: Second floor, to avoid vehicle lights shining in.
stuckett, General Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Thank you, for giving us "above par"! We are very grateful that you enjoyed your stay. We are an independent hotel and try very hard to be above average. We are happy to have owners who really care about the property. We try to keep things updated and nice.
We hope you will visit us, again, real soon!
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The hotel is a little dated, but has been renovated. Nice indoor pool/hot tub that was very clean. There is also a nice outdoor patio attached to the indoor pool where you can tan. The bed was comfortable, but some people may find it too soft. The pillows were very thick. If you like a flatter pillow, you may not like these. Nice large screen t.v. The bathroom toiletries were really nice from Bath and Body. Breakfast was very good, not the usual continental breakfast. They had waffles, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, cereals, fruit, different juices and coffee. We also learned the rooms are a bit cheaper during the weekend versus a weekday. Not sure why, but we were happy to get a cheaper rate. We'd definately stay here again. The front desk staff were awesome. Very curteous and helpful in suggesting places to eat.

stuckett, General Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2011
We are happy that you liked the Abbey Inn. I am ont sure why your rate was lower on the weekend than the weekday, except that we have been running a promotion. Sometimes our staff will lower the rate because of availability. Nevertheless, that can be a good thing!
We were Built in 1992 and have very concientious owners, who update our properties, constantly. We are ALWAYS in transition. We hope that each time you stay with us, you will find something new! We will work on that outdated look.
Thank you for saying with us and thank you for your wonderful comments.
We hope to see you soon!
Montrose, Colorado
Reviewed 22 June 2011

This is a wonderful hotel! We were traveling from Colorado to San Diego, when we spent our one traveling night in Cedar City at the Abbey Inn. I had researched it and made an advance reservation due to our late arrival. We are very particular about where we stay but need to stay on a budget. It was immaculately clean, the room was attractive and the beds/pillows were heavenly! It was quiet also. We got a great night's sleep which is important when traveling long distances in a car. And such a bargain! Thank you Abbey Inn!!! :)

stuckett, General Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
We agree that it can be pretty scary, when traveling and staying in unknown places. Tripadvisor is a great place to research lodging. We are so grateful that our guests can go to Tripadvisor and find us. It is guests, like yourself, who have commented here, that have made it easy to find a great place to lay their head.
Thank you for staying with us, Thank you for the positive comments, on Tripadvisor. Your remarks are sure to help other guests, who have not stayed with us, to make the decision to visit the Abbey Inn in Cedar City. We are very happy that your stay was a great one!
Please come and see us, again, when you stop through our great town!
Central MO
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We stayed at the Abbey in mid-June. Room cost $102 with tax. There was urine down the side of the stool, hair left in the bathroom floor, white stain on bed cover that very much should have been removed before renting the room out and chocolate-looking stains in an occasional chair in the room. The tubs look like they need hard water and/or yellowed crud cleaned from them. Beyond that, this motel offers the amenities most look for. Our bed was clean and comfy which is most important to me. Can't say this was a good value based on the price and the lack of cleanliness here!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank ozark_hillbilly
stuckett, General Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, 25 June 2011
We apologize for the bad experience, you had, with us. This is not the usual way our staff coducts its self. Obviously, we need to train our staff, much better. If you have read the comments, the Abbey Inn has received, this is so uncharacteristic of us. It is extremely sad, that you left our proprety, thinking that this is the condition we leave out rooms.
We take pride in the fact that we are very diligent in maintaining a clean, attractive property. I hope you will contact me, so we can resolve this.
Thank you for your comments.
Delta, PA
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My Wife and I travel a lot and we had never been to Utah before. We wanted to visit Bryce canyon and Zion National park so we were dependant upon reviews from other travels on this site. Abbey Inn got great reviews and now we know why.

First off, it is very easy to get to, and very accessable to both parks.

The hotel offered a breakfast each morning, complimentary. This was not just danish and coffee, there were scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles, fruit, cereal, oatmeal, bagles, the works. A very nice breakfast that would have cost an easy $10 a person anywhere else.

The room was very clean, king size bed, also very comfortable. The staff recommended a local restaurant which was superb as well and very reasonable.

My only negative was their hot tub was way too hot in the pool area, but that said, I still feel it was a tremendous bargain for the price. A hot tub is not going to make me change my opinion of a place one way or the other, just wanted to mention it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give the Abbey Inn a "10"

We will definately go back when we take the grandchildren to the parks next year

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
stuckett, Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, 10 June 2011
We like to think we are a hidden gem. We would like to get that information out there!. Your comments are so great. Thank you for helping us spread the word! We look forward to your visit with the Grandkids!
We have had some problems with the hot tub, but have them fixed now. I am happy that you haven't let that keep you from us. Sometimes there are glitches along the way. We strive to correct them so that they won't happen to you, again.
See you soon!
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We found the Abbey Inn through TA and the other reviews are spot on. Stayed for three nights. Nice comfortable rooms at a reasonable price. Very friendly staff that are more than willing to help with any request. Housekeeping was great. Good breakfasts in a little house at the end of the property. Indoor pool and hot tub felt great after long days hiking. Spa jets were not working while we were there, but it felt good to sit in the hot tub anyway. Would stay here again if we are out that way!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
stuckett, Manager at Abbey Inn, responded to this review, 10 June 2011
Thank you, for the great review! We are so pleased you enjoyed yourself. It is such a boost to hear such positive remarks. My staff works very hard to maintain the Abbey inn, in the best possible way. Our goal is to make the Abbey Inn, your home away from home. We hope we made this happen for you.
As far as the hot tub problems, it seems things always break on holidays or weekends when no one is around to fix it. But we have the jets working now! Hurray!!!