“Beautiful, Gracious B&B in Southern Utah”

Big Yellow Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 12 Cedar City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I've stayed at the Big Yellow Inn a couple of times on business trips. The first time, I brought a friend with me and we had a fiasco of my own making - I forgot my wallet, my ID, and everything! Luckily, the owners were sympathetic and we were able to just use the card I'd used at the time of booking the room. We stayed in the top floor suite, which was beautiful! The inn is within walking distance of Southern Utah University and the Utah Shakespeare Festival, which was perfect for the trip. Since it's near the college there can be a pretty fair amount of traffic during the daytime when school is in session, but it doesn't detract from the pleasantness of the property!
The second time I stayed here was on a solo business trip, and I stayed in the Mediterranean Room (free upgrade - thanks!). It was beautiful! The room opens up to a shared balcony on the east side of the house, facing the street, with a patio table and chairs, umbrella, and a porch swing. So relaxing! I don't think I've ever enjoyed answering work emails more. The wireless connection works really well both inside the room and out on the balcony.
Breakfast both times was delicious and hearty, with more than enough to eat. When I checked in, Scott (the owner) asked me if I was a coffee drinker - yes - and was sure to have a fresh pot on in the morning for me.

In short - beautiful, clean rooms, friendly owners, nice location, and good food. I will definitely be staying here again in the future!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mikosan1116

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Hosts--charming and accommodating
Facilities - large rooms, modern baths, comfortable beds and pillows
Breakfasts - not gourmet, but good and plentiful
Location - convenient, right near the university; beautiful view

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed here for one night while we were in town for the Shakespeare festival. The Inn is top quality - beautifully decorated in a Victorian style, furnished with fine antiques, with large rooms, comfortable beds, lovely balconies, and modern bathrooms.It's hard to believe that the Inn isn't a heritage property and that it has been recreated to give it a historic look. Everything was very clean.

We found the staff to be very friendly, welcoming, and professional. The breakfast was delicious -we had chocolate coffee cake, fruit salad, a kind of creamy baked egg dish in individual pastry cups, sausage, hot chocolate, and more. We loved the breakfast and had seconds of everything.

There is free parking and the Inn is a five minute walk to the university campus and the festival. The owners are a wealth of information about festival activities and can make a lot of helpful suggestions. There was going to be a festival presentation after breakfast that we were not able to stay for but this kind of activity demonstrates how passionate the owners are.

We were sorry to leave after just one night. The Inn would make a great base for visiting the nearby Cedar Breaks National Monument. It's worth noting that we booked our room over 6 months in advance, as we were sure of our plans. We explained that we would be happy to stay in either of their properties, in any room, and would they be able to provide a discount for booking so far in advance. The said they normally do not discount their rooms during festival season, as they are usually full, but since I booked so early I was given a reduction of 10%, which I was very happy with.

One of the best experiences of a two week trip!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TurnipseedTravel
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Scott and Barbara are delightful hosts and the accomodations are super. Very convenient to Southern Utah University and Utah Shakespeare Festival.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank BigTexasAggie
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We go to the Utah Shakespeare Festival annually, and have been regular guests at this property for years. I can vouch for my statement that this is the "Best B & B", because we have stayed at several others through the years, and always find ourselves returning to this great place. I think we're qualified to make that declaration.

Even though it looks like a restored Victorian, the structure was actually a purpose-built B & B with separate quarters for the owners, and easy access for the guests to all the accommodations. The rooms vary in size and layout, from a rather small one with a queen bed to a suite that takes up most of the top floor. We've never felt the need for the suite, but have stayed in several of the other rooms, and have only felt cramped in one of them, mostly due to the way the owners have positioned the bed at an angle that takes up some of the space. Still, the room was nice.

Breakfasts are quite varied, usually involving a casserole of some sort for the main course for the bigger eaters, but you may also simply have some cereal or fruit if that's your preference. We've never been disappointed in anything offered.

A big plus for this B & B is its location relative to the Shakespeare Festival grounds, which are on the campus of Southern Utah University. Two blocks away. And that means two Cedar City (small) blocks, which means unless you absolutely must drive somewhere, you can walk to the plays, to restaurants, coffee shops, etc. We never move our car once we're parked at the B & B.

And, even though this is a B & B review, I feel the need to plug the Shakespeare Festival while I'm writing. If any of you readers are anywhere near Southern Utah during the Summer, make the effort to go see a play or two at this wonderful venue. This isn't just community theater. These are professional actors, who put on excellent productions of not only Shakespeare's works but a great many other authors as well. There is a replica of the Globe Theater outdoors on the campus and two indoor theaters where the plays are presented. Go to www.bard.org to look at their current and upcoming productions. I can't go into too much detail here or I'll be writing all day. But one more thing I must add: this festival won a Tony Award in 2000 for being the best regional theater company in America. That should underscore why I'm such a fan.

Room Tip: Hit their website, complete info about rooms there, just Google the B & B's name
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GAJoe
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Perfect jumping off point for our vacation in the national parks. Owners were so nice - and understanding of our late arrival. Accomodations were warm and inviting and Breakfast was a special treat. Also got great recommendations for routes and sightseeing. I just wish we had more time there!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Gorgeous old mansion filled to the brim with knick-knacks, books, art, stained glass, and furniture. Not for those who prefer modern-minimalist, but charming and fun for exploring to those of us who like history and conversation pieces. We wandered around the house (had it to ourselves since it is off season--we might have seen a ghost!), played Scrabble in the rich paneled library, and wish we could have enjoyed the balcony (it was a bit too cold).

Service was perfect: friendly and available, but also hand's-off; mattress was great: firm, felt new. Breakfast was good: scrambled egg hash with cheese & peppers, muffin, coffee, juice, fruit.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends