“You get what you bargain for...”
Review of Cedar Rest Motel

Cedar Rest Motel
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Cedar City
Hermosa Beach, California
“You get what you bargain for...”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

First of all, I called the motel because I wanted to make sure there was a room available. When the owner answered, it sounded like "seeress". I said, "...uh what?" He says "Seeress." I say, "uh. is this Cedar Rest?" He says, "Yes, how can help?" Trying to secure a spot at this motel was a nightmare because he barely spoke English. The motel is far from the 15 freeway, woven into the city. We arrived at the motel, and immediately noticed the weird people loitering in the parking lot. When we went to check in, the owner and his wife could barely speak English! I had so much trouble understanding them, and had to ask them to repeat themselves multiple times. They asked if we preferred upstairs or downstairs, and we said downstairs, which we received. We finally got our room key, and headed off.

We unlocked our door, and immediately noticed the walls looked like a jail cell. The door would only shut with extreme force and pressure!! The deadbolt on the damn thing was broken off, so we had to "Mickey Mouse" it to make it lock.

DO NOT TRY TO DO ANY WORK IN THIS MOTEL WHERE YOU NEED TO USE THE WIFI!
Yes, you get free wifi and that's awesome. It shows that the signal strength is 5/5 and 4/5 bars, but in reality it is actually 1/5. I couldn't get any of my work done because the WIFI was way too slow. The desk I needed to do my work on was raggedy and and sketchy. Not to mention, I couldn't plug my laptop charger or phone charger in because all of the plugs were taken by the things in the room, meaning no outlets for the guests' convenience.

The phone in the room looked like it could have been from 1997...plus it was filthy.

Sheets on your bed not scratchy enough? Try the ones at Cedar Rest, they're perfect for scratchyness!

As you are walking through your room, you can feel the heat radiating from the carpet from the electrical below. Freaked me out. You could also see the TV stand was about to cave in and fall over. The remote barely worked for the TV anyway...

I turned the Air Conditioning on and it sounded like the war against the Taliban....ALL NIGHT! It woke me, my husband, and infant daughter up all night! Also, the wire and plug to go into the socket was GINORMOUS and hard to miss. It was extremely low to the floor and my infant daughter tried to pull the plug out. Dangerous!

If you want peace and quiet at this motel, you won't get it. There are children screaming everywhere and banging on walls. There are people talking and yelling in the parking lot.

Of course, taking a piss is a huge issue in this bathroom because you get a damn tan from the lights used in the bathroom! Not only that, but the toilet HARDLY flushed! Want to take a shower at Cedar Rest? Get ready for a bath, because the drain DOESN'T DRAIN. It was up to my upper ankles by the time I got out of there! The positive about that shower is the pressure it has. That was good... If you want to dry off using a towel from Cedar Rest, look for black hairs on them first....because that's what I got on my towel.

The beds had two huge metal parts sticking out of them. They were in the walkway. My one year old daughter took a dive and bashed her nose directly into the sharp metal object. When I jumped up to her rescue, I bashed my ankle in the OTHER metal object!

Oh, and you know how it says "FREE BREAKFAST"?? They might as well advertise it as "FREE FRUIT LOOPS" because that's all you basically get.

The things I liked:
microwave
fridge

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Milford, Utah
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My door wouldn't close unless i lifted up on it The 60s style popcorn Spackle was falling from the ceiling the faucets were rusted through and had toothpaste all over it the bathroom fan sounded like the turbine of a jet engine but made no difference the toilet only flushed if you stood there and held down the handle and you could see through the towels The walls in the showers were cracked with mold around the tiles and the tub drained slowly...
You Definitely get what you pay for this room was around 50 bucks If you find yourself having to stay there STAY AWAY FROM ROOM 106 on a good note the beds were real clean

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Cedar City hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Should have known when we asked to see the room and the clerk acted like it was a terrible task we asked him to preform. He showed us a room on the second level. The walkway undulated and had a severe angle away from the building. We asked for a ground level room. The dead bolt did not work. The plumbing in the bath area was old. The faucets in the sink were difficult to turn on and off. The carpet was filthy. The bed was clean and WiFi good. We stayed one night after arriving tired. We will not return.

• Stayed July 2014
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The lobby smelled like some sort of old fish. The room wasn't really clean. We were glad, we only stayed here for one night. We weren't shure, if the room was bug-ridden… It felt itchy the next morning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Steve M
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This was literally the most disgusting place I've ever been. There was chewing gum on the wall, mold in the shower, cigarette burns through the whole thing. The attendant was aweful too. His shirt was dirty and when we went to talk about the room he gave us, he said "NO REFUNDS" which was fine, we left and went somewhere else. Hopefully he uses our money to make that place a little more decent.

SERIOUSLY THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We checked in as it was snowing out. Room 101 - the TV did not work, so we were put in room 102 where the TV worked, BUT, the room was so cold it was intolerable. We gave the heater 90 minutes and still it was too cold to survive. We left for warm room somewhere else. We got no apology and still, after a month, no refund on our Visa card.

Room Tip: GO somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Merida, Yucatan
Reviewed 20 August 2013

This hotel is rightfully placed near the very bottom of the TA hotel rankings. We originally planned to drive on to Kanab, but had to stop at Cedar City as it was getting dark. We saw quite a few cars in the motel parking lot and decided to take our chances.

The best thing I can say is that the room was clean, it was also reasonably spacious. The bathroom fittings were very old and the wash basin taps were so small I needed my kids to operate them. The mattress was a bit soft, but we managed to get some decent sleep.

The principal downside at this motel is the complete indifference of the management. They give the impression that the motel is what it is, and you can take it or leave it. Communicating in English was also tough, so if you speak Hindi or Gujarati that might make things easier.

The breakfast was very limited and there is no place to sit down while you’re eating. This did, though, enable us to get away quicker, which was much appreciated.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family