“Cottage Stay at Amid Summer's Inn”

Amid Summer's Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 12 Cedar City B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Cottage Stay at Amid Summer's Inn”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The cottage was wonderful. About 30m away from the B&B proper, it was very comfortable and peaceful, tucked away in a quiet little residential neighborhood. The cottage was clean and a nice spot to relax. Thanks for the great visit!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I love to attend the Shakespeare Festival each summer and have always stayed in a hotel. This year I thought I would try a bed and breakfast instead. Amid Summer's Inn was all that I had anticipated. The two knights adorning the front porch and the cottage garden drew me into this old world retreat. I stayed in the Windsor Castle room. It was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. It has a beautiful bathroom with sunken, jetted tub and lots of tile work. It was very hot in Cedar City during my stay but my room was air conditioned and provided a needed respite for an afternoon nap between the afternoon and evening plays I attended. Gary made a delicious breakfast both mornings. He served a cherry soufflé the first morning and a 3 cheese quiche the next. I enjoyed sitting on the garden patio the evening I arrived. The inn is located a short block and a half walk from the Shakespeare Festival. Parking is available at the rear of the inn, which provided a security feature for me as I was traveling solo. Also, you can walk to some fabulous restaurants, which Charlene is eager to tell you about. I recommend this bed and breakfast! It has charm and character which no hotel can match. I look forward to returning every summer! Sally P

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Nashville
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My husband and I decided to use Cedar City as a base for touring Zion and Bryce National Parks, and we enjoy staying at B&B's. Charlene and Gary were gracious hosts who greeted us warmly and made sure we had what we needed. We stayed in the Nell Gwyn room on the 1st floor, just off the back porch. It was a large room with a huge king-size bed. The bathroom is small, especially the shower, but we knew that going in, and Charlene and Gary have plans to renovate the bathroom in the near future, enlarging the shower in particular. If the tile work is anything like what we saw in a couple of the upstairs rooms, it will be absolutely beautiful when it's finished! The room had a dorm-sized refrigerator with a tiny freezer, but big enough for our needs. Gary's breakfasts were delicious, and kept us going all day through lots of hiking in the parks. They made sure to ask us about what foods we would or would not like included in what was served, which we really appreciated.

Using Cedar City as a base wasn't too bad for Zion National Park, and Kolob Canyon in particular, but it's a longer drive to Bryce Canyon. We enjoy long rides, and much of the ride is going through beautiful country, but if you're hoping to take sunrise/sunset pictures you might do better staying closer to each park.

Room Tip: If you want a first-floor room (no steps to deal with when you've got a lot of luggage!), the Ne...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beth W
1956Marie, Owner at Amid Summer's Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review. Gary and I enjoyed having you stay with us for five days. Glad we still had the room available for your stay. Gary is anxious to get the bathroom completed. Can not wait to post the new pics. Our guests should love it!
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed at Amid Summer’s Inn Bed and Breakfast for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. This was our first time ever staying in a bed and breakfast. Our friend who has stayed twice recommended it. I was nervous that my husband would think it would not be private enough. We had all the privacy in the world! We stayed in the “Romeo and Juliet” room. It was perfect. It was immaculate and extremely clean. The king size bed was very comfortable. The Jetted tub Jacuzzi was an added bonus. Gary and Charlene were very kind and gracious innkeepers. We sat out on the front porch our last evening there and enjoyed visiting with them as they planted flowers and worked in the yard. Gary is a wonderful cook and along without wonderful breakfasts, he baked delicious cookies just for us. There is no doubt we will go back. We already intend on convincing our other friends to come with us next time! Thank you, Gary and Charlene for making our Anniversary so special!

Room Tip: If you are looking for added privacy, book the Romeo and Juliet or the King Arthur rooms. They are l...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy T
Kayenta, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed in the cottage, separate from the B&B. We have a 2 month old and were looking for seclusion, mostly to keep other people from being annoyed. We wanted a nice little get away to St. George and for it's closeness to St. George and Zion National Park it was great.

That's all that was great. I can't say the website is putting forward out and out lies, but it is extremely misleading. When it says "Owner on site" and describes a 1.5 acre lot and showcases pictures of large hanging trees over patios and gorgeous views of a National Forest, the last thing I expected was to pull into their driveway and stay in their pool house. You can reach their garage with a broomstick from the front porch of the "cottage".

The owner is sort of a piece of work, not a professional business owner. I read that review on another persons post and I completely agree. I half expect her to identify me from this review and call me to discuss my experience. She left their home for the two days we were there so we could have "privacy". My idea of privacy is more than just staying in a stranger's guest house while they leave town. The cottage was clean, the property not so much. Looks like they're renovating or something and there is a busted up wooden fence hardly hiding a pile of construction supplies. The landscaping looks like it used to be beautiful, now it's overgrown and filled with empty dirty water features and old old old patio furniture. I wish I had pictures.

I booked 4 days before our trip and had discussed a reduced rate with the owner, which she later forgot about, then she added a $25 cleaning fee on top which she insists is low for vacation rentals. Not a deposit, an additional fee so they can clean their own property. It's amazing how fast the price doubled on me.

I wish I had gotten a hotel room in St. George for half the price and none of the hassle, next time I will.

Lots of people seem to love these owners, my experience was a little different and just know that if you engage in a discussion with her about it, be ready to hear the phrase "well, it's already been rebooked 3 times". Which I interpreted to mean, "You don't know what your talking about."

Room Tip: The rooms in St. George are closer to the action, less awkward and cheaper.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 23 April 2013

From the moment you step in the door you feel as if you are in another time. Charlene and Gary the owners are so generous and hospitable. The rooms are lovely and there is adequate room for everything whether you're staying for a weekend or longer. Gary's breakfasts are fabulous and generous. The company that stay there are always charming and easy to get to know. It is just a short walk to the Utah Shakespeare Festival, and to the town where you can walk and discover many little shops to puruse. There is always coffee waiting for you at the Inn, and Charlene bakes cupcakes/cookies/etc. to welcome you. Always a treat to stay there and is so much BETTER than just a motel/hotel room. You really do feel like family, and when their family is visiting - it just gets better. Give this marvelous Inn a try - you'll come back for more. They are most accomodating to anything you might request, regarding diet/etc.

Room Tip: Have only stayed in one room "Sherwood Forest". All have tv - beds are good - is quiet...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1956Marie, Owner at Amid Summer's Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you, Doris for such a wonderful review. It was great seeing you and Larry once again. Happy you had a good time and enjoyed our other guests. We just love them, they are a good group of people. Your room, Sherwood Forest has become more popular here lately. Gary has it on schedule to change a few things in the room for the comfort of our guests. We look forward to seeing you again.
Payson UT
Reviewed 12 January 2013

First of all, these are the nicest people. They have become almost family. I call ahead and alert them to my latest diet fad, and, sure enough, there's a high-protein breakfast, or whatever suits me. There isn't anything that Charlene and Gary wouldn't do to accommodate their guests. Second, the place is gorgeous. Where did they find these astonishing paintings, this memorable furniture, the coats or armor, reflecting the Shakespeare Festival theme of Cedar City? I love this place, and this is where I stay whenever I go to Cedar City. Third, the breakfasts! Oh, my. The courses just keep coming, everything a delight. The location is old-town Cedar, close to everything. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I love the Peacock room on the main floor. It's not large, but so grand, with the stained glass...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business