“Absolutely perfectly happy! Renovated room was fantastic!”

Little Rock Marriott
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Little Rock
Newburgh, Indiana
“Absolutely perfectly happy! Renovated room was fantastic!”
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

We were ungraded to a new room and perfectly pleased! Brand new, beautiful silver gray colors, and the layout was wonderful! Huge tv and a nice couch that a small child could sleep on was an added bonus. There is a bench like area too that works for extra guests or allows you to not sit luau gee on the floor, which I really liked. We had a huge huge window with an enormous view of the river. Lots and lots of outlets an areas to charge all devices was especially helpful. One of the best layouts in room design I have seen. The room was so great and view so enjoyed we ordered dinner in and stayed in the room! We ordered damngoodpie, which I highly highly recommend for pizza.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bill S, General Manager at Little Rock Marriott, responded to this review, 14 July 2015
travelmomof5, so glad you had a great stay! i hope you have the opportunity to come back and see the finished product. You will also be happy to know that since your last visit a DamGoodePie's locations has opened in the River Market - just a short walk from the hotel!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Arkansas
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Marriott while our daughters competed in the Volley in the Rock volleyball tournament in the connected State House convention center. We pulled up and took advantage of the valet parking. Check in was friendly and efficient . There is a major renovation going on of the hotel but it doesn't interfere with the stay. The room was clean and comfortable and the best part is that while its cold and raining outside, you never have to leave the comforts of the hotel and convention center. We didn't finish until late Sat night so we went back to the room and had a wonderful room service. The hotel stored our luggage while we played Sunday and allowed us to leave the car in valet parking way past check out time. As I said, a most accommodating staff and a great place to stay if you are attending an event at the convention center

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
KBD87, thank you for your stay with us last year. We have completed renovations and we hope that you will have the opportunity to come back and see the finished product.
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We were in Little Rock for a volleyball tournament. The location was perfect and we will stay again next year.
The hotel was very nice and the valet guys were helpful.
The Starbucks inside was not staffed for the business. The line was usually 20 people long.

Stayed March 2014
Bill S, General Manager at Little Rock Marriott, responded to this review, 20 July 2016
workenmom, thank you for choosing the Little Rock Marriott.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 March 2014

As I walked out of the airport, the bright red Marriott shuttle bus pulled in. My driver, Percy, was obviously very proud of Little Rock and spent the short trip from the airport (15 min.) telling me about the sights to see, entertainment and dining options.

Even though the lobby of the heotel was under renovation, guests were greeted with iced tea, chilled water or lemonade - perfect at the end of a long trip.

The desk staff was very friendly and helpful, and the view of the river and the lighted bridges at night was great. The hotel is an easy walk to everything in downtown Little Rock. However, the best part of my stay was the bed - oh what a comfortable mattress and coverlet! And the hotel was quiet - no sound from adjacent rooms or floors.

Sadly, I was only in town for about 16 hours, so I did not have an opportunity to try the hotel's restaurant. Alao the "free" internet was pretty slow at peak usage times (an upgraded service was available for additional cost) - this was very frustrating. I also could not figure out how to change the time on the alarm clock as daylight savings time had just begun.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing the Little Rock Marriott!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I was here for four nights and, overall, it was fine. I just had a few gripes/recommendations.

My biggest gripe is with the internet. The hotel offers free internet but it would automatically disconnect every 15 minutes. I would be in the middle of typing an e-mail and then I'd receive notification that I was no longer connected to the internet. It was extremely annoying!!! When you log into the system for the first time, you have the option of clicking on the free internet service or using a faster speed service for $12.95 a day. Maybe this automatic disconnect was a way for the hotel to urge people to use the paid service. It would have been nice to know that if I used the free service, that I'd have to agree to the terms of usage every 15 minutes and that I'd be disconnected. Customers need to be told that when they check in or make it obvious when they sign in for the first time.

When I arrived at 11:00PM that evening, there was only one king-bed room remaining. The worker asked if I would accept a handicapped accessible room and I said "Sure!" Because of that, the room and bathroom were especially spacious. The bathroom, though, needed some work. The shower curtain didn't touch the floor and water went all over the bathroom floor, even though the curtain was from wall to wall. The shower area was a walk-in shower, since it was for disabled guests, but the hotel either needs to lower the shower curtain in these rooms or find longer curtains. Also, there was no fan in the bathroom. I think all bathrooms should have lights and fans.

I was surprised that there was no pool. In my opinion, this was an upscale hotel and I was just shocked that there wasn't a pool of some sort. Everyone, leave the swimsuits at home :(

I also couldn't find a piece of paper in the room that listed the channels. After you turned on the TV, a guide appeared...but I think it would have been nice if there was a sheet of paper that listed the channels next to the remote control.

I do think the parking price is steep at $20 a day, especially when the parking isn't even in a garage. If you do drive to the hotel, like I did, be sure to give the hotel plenty of time to get your car. I gave them an hour's notice and it worked perfectly for me.

I do think the rooms need a fridge. Is that part of the remodeling? Just an FYI, there isn't a grocery store near the hotel but it's not the Marriott's fault.

There are plenty of positives for this hotel, too. The location is absolutely fabulous. You can walk to so many museums, restaurants and attractions. Once you park the car, you won't need it again until you leave. I found the staff to be extremely friendly and the hotel really clean. You can also get a free local paper, if you like. Just go to the front desk and you will receive a free copy of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. I didn't use it, but I read that there is a complimentary shuttle to the airport.

I will certainly stay at this hotel again but it would be great if some things were changed before my next visit. I read that the hotel is undergoing a major renovation and I look forward to seeing the results.

Room Tip: I have had both a "city view" and a view of the Arkansas River. Ask for a view of the Ark...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your feedback. We hope you have the opportunity to return to the Little Rock Marriott.
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The room was clean and the lobby sure was nice. That's about it for positives. The service was disappointing as were the amenities. We paid $160/day for the room and another $20/day to park (valet parking only). When we arrived, we were told by the valet that the parking area was about 3 blocks away so it is good to call a few minutes ahead of time in order to get a head start on getting the car. On checkout we called ahead then did a sweep of the room to make sure we had everything followed by briefly visiting another guest to discuss travel plans. When we got to the valet, they had not made any effort to retrieve out car. It took 20 more minutes.

The front desk was marginally competent. We tried to check in early and were told that they would call housekeeping to express clean a room. Try back in 30 minutes. We asked if it was possible to get a room near room YYY where others in our party were staying. The clerk said that was actually the room he was going to call about getting cleaned for us. The other persons in our party changed their travel plans to come a day earlier. As a result, they had a different reservation for the first night. In attempting to keep them in the same room, the clerk mistakenly checked them out of the hotel. Had we not asked about getting a room close to them , we probably would have been checked into an occupied room and our friends would have been inconvenienced with getting another room. The early check in wasn't available. Instead, we were repeatedly told to check back in 30 minutes. About 15 minutes before 3 (the regular check in time), we received a rather snotty comment to try back at 3:00 after all that is the scheduled check in time. At 3:15, we were told they still didn't have a room try back in 10 minutes.

The room itself was clean. It was spacious and it had a nice desk. The water pressure was good as was the temperature. The bathroom was nice. However, the sheets did not fit the bed. I woke up several times in the night because the fitted sheet came undone and was wrapped around my arm or head. The room also lacked a fridge or a microwave.

Room Tip: There was a parking garage about a block away for half the price. The valet was slow and isn't...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
John T, General Manager at Little Rock Marriott, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time for your comments on your recent stay. I understand how frustrating it must have been to not be able to check-in when you arrived and also the wait you encountered with valet. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we will use it to better the operations of our hotel. We hope the next time you visit Little Rock, you will give us another chance and stay at our hotel.

Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I travel for business and look for good deals. This seemed like one until I arrived, then found out that parking was valet only and would cost $20 per day. But not too unusual for downtown properties. Walking into the lobby is an eye catching experience. This place is a grand hotel, with stone tile inlays, and beautiful carpets, soaring ceilings, and opulent everything. It adjoins the convention center, and is well placed to handle big crowds, although there were hardly any people around. The check in counter is quite large, but only one person working it, and after the only person was helped I checked right it.

The first thing I noticed was the carpet, that was quite fancy, but so obviously stained and dirty that I thought perhaps I had made a mistake and should turn right around. But the place was so interesting looking that I went to my room. On the way up, more dirty carpets, brass elevators that have faded and a sad feeling came over me like I was watching a giant in the process of dying. The four elevators are glass and give a commanding view of either the city or the AR river as you move up, but the glass was not all that clean, the brass faded and... Ducks? There is a duck inlay in the stone floor in the elevator. Can't remember what that means, but will look that up.

Going down the hallway you can again see that this is a grand hotel, but obvious maintanence has been neglected. Carpets look dirty and worn, wall paper old, doors and paint with lots of nicks, ledges that are dusty/dirty. Real plants in the planters, but the plants are somewhat neglected. Windows that give a great view, but not very clean. There is an occaisional crack going across the ceiling from settling. Just neglect, and again I am wondering if I should turn around and go somewhere else.

So I open my room and there is this faint musty smell, dirty carpet, and now I'm fairly sure I should go, until I see how elegant the place is. Granted it's decoration is a little on the aging side, but it is quite beautiful. Bedding and bath is clean as a whistle, nice desk, and furniture. Flat TV, but it is sitting on top of an old armoir made for a TV to fit inside. The inside is, therefore, empty, and this creates a wasted space and further outdated piece of furniture. Aside from that, the carpet and the mild smell, the room is really fantastic. The view of the Arkansas River is amazing, and there is this historic building right next door, but I have no idea what it is.

The concierge lounge was so-so. Was in the penthouse overlooking the river and sunsets were amazing. There was no television to rest and watch the news, but really nice food and drinks, and views. Needs some renovation for sure. I did visit the restaurant, which was almost empty for dinner at 8 pm. This place was also beautiful, the food was delicious, and service was very good. There is a high capacity bar directly across, also looks nice but same concerns for carpet and could use some new furniture. The valet guys were very nice, fast bringing the car around and very polite.

I did step out to check out the historic building next door. It's the old State House, now a museum. As I walked around the side of the hotel to get a better look I noticed that the outside of the hotel has also been neglected. It is a bit dirty, some areas need paint, and there are cigarette butts and some trash that have found a home. Not too bad, but for such a grand place, this should be quite a bit less than what I saw.

I did some research and after seeing more Ducks around the hotel I found that this used to be the Peabody Hotel, and they actually had live Ducks that they marched down from the upper floor daily to the lobby and let them swim around in the fountain. About a year ago it changed hands. I don't know at what point the quality of the hotel went to the birds, but this place needs some fixin' up. It is sad to see such a grand hotel at a point where if it doesn't get an infusion soon, it will slip into a hotel of shame. This should be the Gem of Little Rock, and instead it is fading fast. It has so much to offer. Even the WiFi only worked sporadically, although to the credit of the management, they allowed me to buy the upgraded package and took it off my bill. Perhaps they have plans to make some major renovations, and that would be great.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
John T, Manager at Little Rock Marriott, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

We thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. You made some good observations on the condition of the Hotel. We are currently in the process of a 17 million dollar renovation and when finished we will be the "gem of Little Rock".

We hope that the next time you visit little Rock you will join us again to experience our transformation, as I think you will be very pleased. Please feel free to call upon me personally if I can ever be of assistance.

John Thomas