“My favorite Little Rock hotel is losing its luster”
Review of The Burgundy Hotel

The Burgundy Hotel
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Little Rock
Shreveport, Louisiana
“My favorite Little Rock hotel is losing its luster”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

When I "discovered" this hotel 3 years ago, it was a fantastic value. It was a quiet little place with an amazing, upscale Italian restaurant and quite a bit of character, all for Best Western prices. I recommended to friends and published a couple of glowing, gushing reviews. Sadly, my most recent visit was not as positive and I'm afraid it's only getting worse, from my standpoint. Vesuvio Bistro, the amazing Italian eatery, departed about a year ago. I already knew this, but also knew a new restaurant was taking its place. This new spot, Table 28 seems ok, but I've yet to take a chance.

I knew the hotel was being renovated from other recent posts on trip advisor. However, I was hoping everything would be in order by the time I planned to be in town. Sadly, this was not the case. Our room had several trim pieces missing and a faint, musty odor. And, sadly, the renovations really seem to take away from the previous, French Quarter-like vibe that the hotel possessed. Though the atrium still has its beautiful wrought iron railings, they now clash with all the contemporary bits introduced. They've taken this so far as to introduce the trendy frosted glass bathroom doors that have popped up in many chains trendy offerings, such as Indigo. The "glaring" problem in my particular room was the fact that the portion of the bathroom entered by the sliding glass door also had a large mirror-surrounding florescent as its only light source. When you flip on this light, it beams right through the frosted glass door. It lights up the adjacent bedroom almost as well as the bedroom's own lamps. It just seems to be such a sacrifice of comfort and practicality for faux luxury.

On this particular visit, my sleep was also disturbed by a particularly noisy group that arrived sometime after 10 pm. Their voices echoed off the interior atrium. I can't believe no one complained to the front desk.

Finally, the much vaunted breakfast has changed forever and sadly, for the worse. I immediately noticed the removal of the buffet associated with breakfast at the end of the atrium. Instead, I was greated and handed a "menu" that gave 2 options-continental or traditional breakfast, each with some options. When I inquired with staff about the change, they apologized and said their prep options were limited during the ongoing renovations. But they also pointed out the traditional breakfast buffet that everyone on trip advisor has raved about for years now is gone forever. It will be replaced with a still free (I believe?) made to order breakfast that can be phoned ahead from your room. They said it was in the name of taking things more upscale but it honestly just seems like a cost-cutting feature to me. And the limited options during the current ongoing renovations made me decide pass of the skimpy free offerings, check out, and find a nearby restaurant serving breakfast.

Perhaps my review seems overly picky but it was small little details that made this hotel stand out from the herd. Without them, this place is just average.

4 Thank WesJ73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Rockwall, Texas
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This past weekend we celebrated my daughters wedding in Little Rock. We wanted to find a decent hotel, close to the wedding venue, that could work with us to accommodate a large number of out of town guests. We picked Best Western Premier initially based on location. As the event got closer and people made reservations, and then we needed more rooms and changed our original requests, the General Manager, Robyn, made sure that every detail was covered/changed. She was the most pleasant person to work with. Extremely accommodating, cheerful and reassuring. The staff is truly a direct reflection of Robyn. They are professional, attentive, and cheerful. Rooms were spotless and breakfast was 5 star.
We also had a weird reguest to store some large items on the location that we didn't want to haul around town all weekend, due to the wedding. Once again, Robyn found a solution and took care of us. We felt like we were the most important people in the house. Outstanding experience!

From now on, who we are in Little Rock, we will always stay at Best Western Premier.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This small hotel is off the beaten path but well worth the effort to find it for either an overnight or even a longer stay. The hotel is undergoing renovation as of this writing with a very strong smell of paint, boxes piled up in the lobby, and some rooms not fully fitted out. Despite this we will definitely be staying again and can't wait to see what it looks like when complete. We have traveled for years in Europe and this Best Western had a European feel with a much more spacious room. The other reviewers are spot on about the gracious reception and helpfulness of the staff. We enjoyed chatting with Veronica the desk clerk who made us feel right at home. The room was very clean though still lacking some of the furnishing yet to be unpacked. I checked out the outdoor pool which is in a walled courtyard and will be great retreat on a Little Rock summer day. Because of the construction our breakfast was served in the restaurant instead of the delightful atrium with it's New Orleans courtyard style. The highlight of the stay was meeting Brenda who has maintained the breakfast buffet at the hotel for the past nine years. It is worth the stay just to meet her and sample her Southern hospitality. If you are a complainer, wait until the renovation is completed and then you should have absolutely nothing to complain about at this jewel of a hotel.

Room Tip: You should ask for a room that has been completely renovated and furnishings completed. They are har...
Corinth, Mississippi
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was coming into Little Rock on I40E and checked my GPS for nearby upscale hotels. Best Western Premier Governor's Suites came up and I gave it a shot. Surprisingly, this place was fan-cy. Veronica the desk clerk gave me superior service checking in and when I got to the room, I was surprised it was actually a true all-suites hotel with living room and bedroom. Even had crown molding with high gloss paint in the bathrooms like in a big Georgian style home. All for $89, government rate. Very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. It was the nicest place I stayed at with the best price during my 5-day CA to MS cross country military move.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank ToddWoodruff
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We needed a hotel for a week. I went to BWP to see the rooms and meet the staff before I committed. Robyn Macon, the manager, met me at the door and I didn't have an appointment. She gave me a tour and made me feel so welcome that I never considered staying anywhere else. She introduced me to Veronica who is also a great employee running the front desk. The hotel is undergoing renovations but it did not interfere with anything we were doing. Our rooms were very clean and comfortable. The staff is so friendly. We felt safe, we felt cared for and nothing was too much to ask for. The answers are always a can-do attitude and no problem. I highly recommend this hotel and look forward to seeing it after the renovations. The restaurant on site is one of the finest dining experiences we have had in some time.

Room Tip: The hotel is small. It is very intimate. Open in the center with all rooms facing the atrium. We had...
Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DLG876
White Hall, Arkansas
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We always stay here. The employees are friendly, helpful and make us feel at home. We noticed that the front desk had no chair or place for employees to sit. Standing for 8 hours is harmful physically to the legs and back. I hope this policy will be abolished. It makes me feel uncomfortable to stay in a motel where the employees are treated like this. I'm returning in May. If this hasn't changed.then we will have to take our business elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Carol T
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed here during a lacrosse tournament. I was one of several referees to participate and this was one of several hotels in the area that were recommended and offered discounted rates for the tournament. This was one of the better Best Westerns I have stayed at. It has one of the better restaurants in the State.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business