When I "discovered" this hotel 3 years ago, it was a fantastic value. It was a quiet little place with an amazing, upscale Italian restaurant and quite a bit of character, all for Best Western prices. I recommended to friends and published a couple of glowing, gushing reviews. Sadly, my most recent visit was not as positive and I'm afraid it's only getting worse, from my standpoint. Vesuvio Bistro, the amazing Italian eatery, departed about a year ago. I already knew this, but also knew a new restaurant was taking its place. This new spot, Table 28 seems ok, but I've yet to take a chance.
I knew the hotel was being renovated from other recent posts on trip advisor. However, I was hoping everything would be in order by the time I planned to be in town. Sadly, this was not the case. Our room had several trim pieces missing and a faint, musty odor. And, sadly, the renovations really seem to take away from the previous, French Quarter-like vibe that the hotel possessed. Though the atrium still has its beautiful wrought iron railings, they now clash with all the contemporary bits introduced. They've taken this so far as to introduce the trendy frosted glass bathroom doors that have popped up in many chains trendy offerings, such as Indigo. The "glaring" problem in my particular room was the fact that the portion of the bathroom entered by the sliding glass door also had a large mirror-surrounding florescent as its only light source. When you flip on this light, it beams right through the frosted glass door. It lights up the adjacent bedroom almost as well as the bedroom's own lamps. It just seems to be such a sacrifice of comfort and practicality for faux luxury.
On this particular visit, my sleep was also disturbed by a particularly noisy group that arrived sometime after 10 pm. Their voices echoed off the interior atrium. I can't believe no one complained to the front desk.
Finally, the much vaunted breakfast has changed forever and sadly, for the worse. I immediately noticed the removal of the buffet associated with breakfast at the end of the atrium. Instead, I was greated and handed a "menu" that gave 2 options-continental or traditional breakfast, each with some options. When I inquired with staff about the change, they apologized and said their prep options were limited during the ongoing renovations. But they also pointed out the traditional breakfast buffet that everyone on trip advisor has raved about for years now is gone forever. It will be replaced with a still free (I believe?) made to order breakfast that can be phoned ahead from your room. They said it was in the name of taking things more upscale but it honestly just seems like a cost-cutting feature to me. And the limited options during the current ongoing renovations made me decide pass of the skimpy free offerings, check out, and find a nearby restaurant serving breakfast.
Perhaps my review seems overly picky but it was small little details that made this hotel stand out from the herd. Without them, this place is just average.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience West Little Rock's first boutique hotel at The Burgundy! Featuring 49 completely redesigned suites- including 4 two-room Presidential suites with fireplaces and a spectacular whirlpool suite. The Burgundy Hotel is proud to be the home of the award-winning restaurant Table 28, serving Modern American Cuisine from Executive Chef Scott Rains Monday through Saturday evenings. The Burgundy Hotel offers a unique level of customized hospitality you won't find anywhere else in Little Rock. Our unique blend of superior accommodations, first-rate service, modern amenities and a casual atmosphere is unequaled. These qualities, in turn, have made The Burgundy Hotel a favorite destination for business and leisure travelers alike in Little Rock. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Burgundy Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Premier Governors Hotel Little Rock
- Best Western Little Rock
- Little Rock Best Western
- Best Western Governors Hotel