“Good Secure Overnighter west side of El Paso”

Sleep Inn University
Ranked #49 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Texas
“Good Secure Overnighter west side of El Paso”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Easy off/easy on to I-10 for the traveler overnighting in El Paso. If traveling west this is far enough from downtown that you will avoid El Paso rush hour in the morning. The parking lot is set back and appears to be very secure with one drive in and out. The checkin was efficient and friendly. We were assigned a king size room first floor (my preference) coupon rate of $59.95. The room basic furnishings with an updated modern bath. The bed was comfortable and clean, tv and internet were on par. The only complaint I have about the room is it had a musty smell. I could never figure out where the smell was coming from. It was not overpowering but it was noticeable. They offered use of the gym at their sister property next door but it was definitely out of order.

The breakfast was ok, not really great. I did expect more. Checkout was a bit slow but nothing to complain about.

Overall it was an efficient stay and pleasant enough. Anything to avoid El Paso rush hour in a secure, clean location is worth it to me.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Peter P, Manager at Sleep Inn University, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out our survey and thank you for your comments that we will use to improve our service. Hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bullhead City, Arizona
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We arrived with a group organized by Diamond Tours. I think it is safe to say that of the 50 people on this bus, no one will stay at a Sleep Inn again! We arrived about 8 p.m. and waited a long time for check- in, unlike last night where another hotel chain was ready with room assignments. Then several rooms, including ours was not cleaned, beds were unmade, etc. When we finally got a clean room, carpet is so filthy that I would never walk on it in bare feet, the bed spread is spotted and old, and we needed towels and washcloths brought in. If one was to sit in the chair in the room, you would be on the floor as it is broken. The toilet did not flush right and when my husband contacted the front desk, the clerk came to the room and handed me the plunger for me to plunge it myself! I am not normally one to complain but this place is disgusting and we are only staying because we have no way of changing locations

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Judy L
Peter P, General Manager at Sleep Inn University, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Judy,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations.I have gone over your comments with all my staff. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Property CHI
Peter Perez
915 585 7577
Indianapolis< IN
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Nothing great or outstanding but suited its purpose. The room I was given seemed to be short on furnishings but what was there was ok. Everything seemed clean and bed was cimfortable. Front desk clerk was very friendly and accommodating. Plenty of eatery's nearby.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have stayed at this Sleep Inn on previous occasions many years ago with positive experiences. However that wasn't the case with this reservation. When I pulled into a parking place at the back entrance of the hotel I noticed a gathering of what appeared to be male youth on a wall behind the hotel. I felt very uncomfortable so I parked closer to the hotel main entrance. Key cards for the room didn't work and had to be reissued. Deadbolt didn't work due to misalignment so we were assigned a different room. Key cards to that room also didn't initially work and the bedding/bedspread was severely stained. As I exited the hotel via a side door two male youth attempted to gain entrance. I closed the door before they could enter and told them they would need to use their room key to enter. They fled on foot. I walked to the rear of the hotel to see if the group of people on the wall were still there. They were and the group was larger. I returned to the front desk and told the desk clerk I wanted to check out because I did not feel safe. He was accommodating. As I was leaving the hotel property in my vehicle several police cars were arriving. Although technically I did not stay at the hotel, I had enough of an experience to know I will never consider staying there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SnowbirdSandy
V
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This was our second stay and when I was making the reservation I could not remember that I had any complaints about our first visit. The price was certainly right. When we walked into the room I thought it was a little depressing. The only towels in the bathroom were two hand towels. We didn't have any bath towels or wash cloths. The Bed spread was spotted and needed changed. The fridge had a bad odor. I was tired and just went to the lobby and got towels on the way out for dinner. I have to think that the room did not have a final inspection when housekeeping was done. The corners in the bathroom were dirty. There were just a lot of little details that would have made the room look cleaner. Just not a pleasant stay. The eggs and breakfast meat were nasty but there is still yogurt fruit and English muffins. If you are looking for a good dinner, try State Line Barbecue. It is so good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Concan, Texas
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Of course I made the reservation hoping against hope the reviews we accurate and the hotel description was honest. It was about 7.5/10 on t he honesty description. The travelers reviews were about the same 7/10. Our room was on the top floor at the very end of the hallway on a NON-SMOKING floor. The cigarette smoke was so thick at the end of the hallway where our room was I could have sworn someone was standing there smoking. But I found out the emergency stairwell was also the smoking point for the desk person on duty. I shut the stairwell door and the smoke was less. That same front desk person was the one who made sure after I had made the reservations and then my husband registering us that we WOULD be paying a dog fee for our tiny pekingese. It didn't matter we had already agreed to it when I made the reservations but the tone of voice and the attitude was uncalled for. I wanted to pull my physicians note requiring me to have my seizure dog with me but I just let it be. They advertise this hotel as pet friendly----does that mean rude and bad behavior also????

Room Tip: Ask for highest floor to get away from cigarette smoke and get rooms away from the emergency stairwe...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My family makes a yearly trek from the Phoenix area down to southern Texas. We typically will stay in El Paso on night one of our trip because we don't usually get out of town that first night until early evening. This hotel had an adequate breakfast, a clean room and ample closet space. The front desk clerk was also extremely professional and polite, especially for 1am in the morning : ). When we got to our room I was bothered by a few minor things. First, the sink would not drain properly. I had visions of hair and scum being stuck down in the sink which I imagined was surely what was causing the slow drainage. This REALLY grossed me out. But, at least it didn't smell badly. The tile in the restroom was also terribly chipped, but that didn't really hurt the functionality of the room so I can't complain too badly about that. The thing that really aggravated me though, was our shower door. The handle was literally hanging on by one rusted old screw (it ended up actually falling off the next morning). I cannot understand how housekeeping would not have seen this when cleaning the restroom? I know this isn't a big deal, but it is an inconvenience. It says something to me about the work ethic of the employees that cleaned/inspected that room, that they could not even be bothered to ask maintenance to come and tighten a couple of screws to ensure that the guests could have a comfortable shower and not have to worry about drenching the floor of the bathroom and the accompanying carpet?

I think this hotel and others, would be greatly served by management and desk personnel doing random inspections of cleaned rooms. I think what they find might be a real eye-opener and increase the likelihood that the housekeepers do a more thorough job.

Even with these minor inconveniences, I would still return. The kindness of the gentleman who was working at the front desk when we checked in (graveyard shift on June 20th - 21st 2013) has stayed with me and I think he was truly a bright star in this otherwise average establishment. I'd come back, and hopefully when I do some of these minor infractions will have been resolved!

Room Tip: Families with young children should definitely stay on the first floor. Also, if you have a lot of...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family