“Hit the Spot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
San Diego, California
“Hit the Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

I found Thai Chef Cafe on yelp when I searched for something not Mexican. I was traveling through Texas and El Paso was one of my stops so by the time I got to El Paso, I was pretty Mexican'd out. Anyway, the outside is kind of sketchy looking and the inside is decorated really sparsely, but it's the food that matters.

My boyfriend ordered a curry with chicken. I got a noodle dish served atop a bed of romaine. Sorry, I don't recall the names and the menu isn't listed on their site. My dish sounds weird but it was good. It was like pad thai on top of a salad. Some of the leaves were warm, but they were still crisp. Also, I think the fact that I was eating lettuce made the meal feel less heavy. The curry had great flavor. My only complaint is that the portion was much smaller than the noodle dish.

Just a note - they have a spice level called "thai spicy" and it must be mind blowingly spicy. I got medium and felt my lips swelling, so they do spicy justice! Overall, it may not be the best Thai ever, but it was tasty, spicy, and not Mexican. It hit the spot and sometimes, that's all you can ask for.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Liz C

Fort Worth, Texas
“Our favorite Thai restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

We are Thai, and I can tell you that this place has the best Thai food in el paso. Try their pad-Thai noodles, fried chicken wings with sticky rice, all the stir-frys are good. Tom-yum (Thai hot and sour soup) and tom-kaa( creamy hot and sour) are also excellent.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank reachtrita
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“A new venue: the food is fantastic while the location is improving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Found by happenstance, the new Thai Restaurant in El Paso is worth both a drive and good solid look. The Thai Chef Cafe is owned by the same owner of Tara Thai on the west side which has made a nice name for itself. The Thai Chef Cafe serves a wide range of typical Thai dishes, soups and salads but without the over sweetness that is starting to seep into Thai food nation wide. The chef is quite willing and very able to accomidate your particular tastes. Dishes our reasonable sized and reasonably priced. As this area of Dyer begins to reinvent itself with fresh store fronts it is my hope that the Thai Chef Cafe will become a mainstay in El Paso.

• Visited May 2012