Like all Hilton properties, this hotel was clean and maintained to the standard expected for the brand. I did have several issues which did come up during the stay, and I hope that they are not indicative of how things normally go at this location.
1. There was no regular coffee in the room. I had thought that this might have been just an oversight of housekeeping, so I found one of the housekeepers in the hallway in the morning, and she informed me (very politely) that the hotel has been out of regular coffee for almost two weeks, so all I could do is go down to the lobby. Disappointing.
2. The ice machine on the 5th floor was not working. Had to travel down to the 4th floor for ice. Not a big deal, but an inconvenience to have to go hunting for ice at night. Had the refrigerator not have been turned up so high, this wouldn't have been necessary in the first place. Another disappointment.
3. Coffee in the lobby was hot and fresh, but the problem was that there were no cups stocked on the counter. I waited a few minutes to see if there would be some brought out, but that didn't happen. I ended up doubling up some cold cups to carry it back to my room, but burned my hand since the plastic melted on the inside cup. With no coffee in the room, I probably should have brought down the carafe, but I really thought there were going to be disposable cups down in the lobby. Again, disappointed.
4. Housekeeping missed my room twice. I did have the DND sign on the door until around 11 AM, but left all afternoon to return to an unmade room. The other day, the sign was up until around noon, and similarly, I was gone all afternoon. The first day, there were still two housekeepers working the floor when I left, and the other day there was one. Did I need to call the front desk to have them service the room? Not typical of Hilton in that regard. Disappointing.
5. Room service was not very good. The kitchen was out of french fries? Surprising. The other food was just terrible. Very soggy and cold in some parts. That did not get eaten, and we did call downstairs to complain about how bad it was. My wife called, and she was told, "I'll have to get the manager for this," and somewhat abruptly hung up. The manager did call back in about 10 minutes or so, and he was friendly and apologetic for the poor quality. That was adjusted accordingly. It's just disappointing that a $30 meal wasn't great in the first place, and running out of a food item as common as french fries is very disappointing (even more so is the running out of coffee as mentioned earlier).
6. The television acted up intermittently throughout the stay - kept getting some Host Disconnected error on the screen, and it wouldn't pull up a menu or allow you to change channels. Not a big deal, but again, disappointing.
7. Everyone tends to take issue with bed comfort, but I have never written negatively about a mattress until now. The bed was unbelievably uncomfortable, like sleeping on a stack of folded up sheets. Inconsistent sleep surface with underlying firmness that feels like sleeping on concrete. Had to take ibuprofen in the morning to relieve the backaches. Very atypical of Hilton properties. Obviously, getting a bad night's sleep is really disappointing.
WiFi was good, and the staff seemed courteous and friendly overall, but with so many disappointments, I'm not sure that I would choose this location again. As a HHonors Silver member (who is on track to be a Gold member soon with more travel on the horizon), I hope I made a good choice of brand.
For the El Paso area, this room is relatively expensive compared to others, but it is located right next to UTEP, so I guess there's really a premium for that. I was just very disappointed in the stay overall. For nearly $500 for three nights, I feel like it was way too much for the lack of quality and attention to detail throughout my stay. I would have stayed at a different location and drove in for business had I have known what the premium location would entail.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the campus of the University of Texas at El Paso and across the street from two major medical centers. The hotel is within a 5 block radius of over 50 restaurants, bars and stores. Just one and half miles from the El Paso Convention Center/Downtown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotel.de, HRS and TravelUp so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn El Paso Hotel El Paso
- Hilton El Paso
- El Paso Hilton Garden Inn