“Very disappointed in the details.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University

Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in El Paso
Goodyear, Arizona
“Very disappointed in the details.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Like all Hilton properties, this hotel was clean and maintained to the standard expected for the brand. I did have several issues which did come up during the stay, and I hope that they are not indicative of how things normally go at this location.

1. There was no regular coffee in the room. I had thought that this might have been just an oversight of housekeeping, so I found one of the housekeepers in the hallway in the morning, and she informed me (very politely) that the hotel has been out of regular coffee for almost two weeks, so all I could do is go down to the lobby. Disappointing.

2. The ice machine on the 5th floor was not working. Had to travel down to the 4th floor for ice. Not a big deal, but an inconvenience to have to go hunting for ice at night. Had the refrigerator not have been turned up so high, this wouldn't have been necessary in the first place. Another disappointment.

3. Coffee in the lobby was hot and fresh, but the problem was that there were no cups stocked on the counter. I waited a few minutes to see if there would be some brought out, but that didn't happen. I ended up doubling up some cold cups to carry it back to my room, but burned my hand since the plastic melted on the inside cup. With no coffee in the room, I probably should have brought down the carafe, but I really thought there were going to be disposable cups down in the lobby. Again, disappointed.

4. Housekeeping missed my room twice. I did have the DND sign on the door until around 11 AM, but left all afternoon to return to an unmade room. The other day, the sign was up until around noon, and similarly, I was gone all afternoon. The first day, there were still two housekeepers working the floor when I left, and the other day there was one. Did I need to call the front desk to have them service the room? Not typical of Hilton in that regard. Disappointing.

5. Room service was not very good. The kitchen was out of french fries? Surprising. The other food was just terrible. Very soggy and cold in some parts. That did not get eaten, and we did call downstairs to complain about how bad it was. My wife called, and she was told, "I'll have to get the manager for this," and somewhat abruptly hung up. The manager did call back in about 10 minutes or so, and he was friendly and apologetic for the poor quality. That was adjusted accordingly. It's just disappointing that a $30 meal wasn't great in the first place, and running out of a food item as common as french fries is very disappointing (even more so is the running out of coffee as mentioned earlier).

6. The television acted up intermittently throughout the stay - kept getting some Host Disconnected error on the screen, and it wouldn't pull up a menu or allow you to change channels. Not a big deal, but again, disappointing.

7. Everyone tends to take issue with bed comfort, but I have never written negatively about a mattress until now. The bed was unbelievably uncomfortable, like sleeping on a stack of folded up sheets. Inconsistent sleep surface with underlying firmness that feels like sleeping on concrete. Had to take ibuprofen in the morning to relieve the backaches. Very atypical of Hilton properties. Obviously, getting a bad night's sleep is really disappointing.

WiFi was good, and the staff seemed courteous and friendly overall, but with so many disappointments, I'm not sure that I would choose this location again. As a HHonors Silver member (who is on track to be a Gold member soon with more travel on the horizon), I hope I made a good choice of brand.

For the El Paso area, this room is relatively expensive compared to others, but it is located right next to UTEP, so I guess there's really a premium for that. I was just very disappointed in the stay overall. For nearly $500 for three nights, I feel like it was way too much for the lack of quality and attention to detail throughout my stay. I would have stayed at a different location and drove in for business had I have known what the premium location would entail.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AZ4JZ
MichelleKaip, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Guest - First of all, thank you for taking the time to leave comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your valuable feedback. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with the services and amenities at our property. We always want to exceed our guest's expectations and it is disappointing that we did not during your recent trip. I have addressed your concerns with my housekeeping, maintenance and food & beverage departments.

We have recently converted to the new Kuerig coffee machines and should always be stocked with great coffee.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that the next time you're in town you'll give us another chance and stay with us again!
Best Regards
Michelle Kaip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Located adjacent to all the attractions... easy access to the the freeway... right next to utep... hospital... and several eateries....

the hotel staff was friendly and courteous... Breakfast was great... parking was good... hotel was very clean and exceptionally quite

I will definitely stay here again

Boulder, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Good hotel, business center was hard to use. everything else was great. Rooms were clean and up to date. free internet and friendly staff. Now I am writing stupid stuff to fill up the stupid 200 charecter minimum for this stupid survey. I prefer to be concise and to the point but no, thats not allowed. How stupid. Did I mention this is stupid. trip advisor is so stupid. Hotel was great though.

Kailua, HI, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Came to El Paso with my wife for a business trip. This hotel is certainly one of the newest and best hotels to choose from. My wife and I were very pleased as the staff was a joy to encounter. In particular, the cook that made the breakfast we ate was outstanding. His attention to detail and desire to please were second to none. Overall a very delightful experience.

Tacoma, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The service was efficient and friendly, the room was clean, and the proximity to things relevant to my stay was great. Free internet! Reasonable prices. I recommend it. The shuttle took me back to the airport even when I was the only passenger, and for free.

Simpsonville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is a hotel which is clearly dedicated to serving their Guests...constant helpful attitudes by all Associates, extra effort made to see that we received fresh Decaf coffee after our Dinner out...Regular coffee was already available, but they made a new carafe of Decaf just for us...Outstanding!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Barnegat NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Update to my last few reviews of this Hotel. The internet is fixed !!!!! That was my only major complaint. The worn out carpets in the hallway's are all replaced. The room;s are well kept and the large flat pannel TV is great.

I have been trying to eat correctly and the Chief's at the resurant have been great. The low cal breakfast and dinners they have been allowing me to stay on track. I would put the service from this staff in the top 1 % of any staff in the world.

Room Tip: Ask for that special Breakfast. The cooks love to please.