“Hilton Garden Inn experience”

Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in El Paso
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have had great experience staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in El-Paso Texas and St. Louis, Missouri. The staff are courteous, helpful and hardworking. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and clean. Their meals are also great and I will always highly recommend the brand to friends and associates.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel is located near to La Mesa St., one of the largest streets in El Paso, that's why it can take you from downtown to the Outlets outside the city.

The hotel is very pretty, with a very beautiful lobby. The rooms are also very nice, it's not very big but it has comfortable beds and a very nice shower and super clean!

The breakfast isn't included so you have to pay for it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

So I've been staying in El Paso while traveling for a couple years and I didn't know about this hotel, so I usually stayed at the Doubletree. The Doubletree has been showing some wear lately, so I decided to try the Hilton Garden Inn. I was impressed with the HGI's newness (especially the lobby areas-- rooms are okay but seem slightly less fresh), the large lobby space, and especially the outdoor patio where you can bring your drink and a laptop and enjoy the night air. Downsides are that the bar is pretty basic (not very sophisticated wine or drinks, though I wouldn't expect much at a Hilton Garden Inn), and the food is not awful but was so-so in my experience. The best thing about the hotel is the walking distance to Tom's Folk Cafe which has AMAZING food. I also liked the hotel's elevation-- air is clean with nice views.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights on our way out of El Paso. We live here and relocating to another state. The location is awesome right in the heart of Kern Place. It is walking distance to great dining and great watering holes!! Great customer service especially from Carlos, it was late and our daughter wanted cereal so he went and retrieved cereal and milk from the hotel pantry. The hotel is clean and the restaurant is good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I loved staying here! The only drawback was the internet service. I was not able to sign onto the internet as a Rewards member. And the internet was difficult to get. The breakfast was great, I just think the staff should inform all the diners of what is availble on the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Arrived too early to check in and the desk agent recommended lunch at the restaurant which turned out just fine to eat and then my room was ready. Had time to enjoy the outdoor pool and walk around UTEP which is adjacent to the hotel. The restaurant was so good at lunch I took advantage of it for every meal during my two night stay. I found the service fast, the food better than usual for the American Grill and a little more variety. The property was clean and the room was well furnished. The internet worked fine. It was a nice stay that more than met my needs and all the staff were friendly and helpful. I would return to this hotel if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I travel a a fair amount. I used to travel much more for almost 15 years in software sales and marketing. We like Hilton properties and have had great success with them many, many times. This was not the case from the moment we went to check in for the first of our four day stay.

We arrived at 12:30 pm from the airport with my wife scheduled for a 1:00 pm business appt nearby. She needed to change clothes for the meeting. We were told our room was not ready and that a room would not be ready until 1:00 pm. I had a lot of tasks I needed to do online and on the phone. I said, "okay, I'll wait here until 1:00 pm to check in". Abruptly, we were told "check-in wasn't until 3:00 pm." After hundreds of nights of hotel stays, we understand check-in and check-out times. But, we also understand how hundreds of other busy hotels we have stayed at have known their inventory and what was checking out and in. We were told there were no king-size rooms available. Perhaps, if we weren't spoken down to like 2 idiots who have never stayed at a hotel, it wouldn't have been quite so irritating. The attitude of the man at the front desk was despicable.

While there were other irritations such as no lobby coffee two mornings when I came downstairs around 8:00 am and bizarre inconsistent service for breakfast on a couple of mornings, the issue that prompted this post was the following:

We had no "do not disturb" door sign in our room. I took my wife to work at 8:00 am and when I came back shortly afterwards I stopped at the front desk and asked for one. I had a lot of work to do and took the do not disturb placard off the door knob at 12:15 pm when I left to pick my wife up. I returned at 3:15 pm. The housekeepers had not made up our room yet. No big deal, there was a housekeeper and her cart two rooms beyond our room and another housekeeper working several rooms up to the other side.

I expected somebody to knock on the door to make up the room. By 3:45 it hadn't happened, I opened the door and saw there were no housekeepers on our floor. I called downstairs to the front desk saying our room had not been serviced yet. Ashley, the clerk who answered, said that since I had the "do not disturb" sign out until 12:15 was why they didn't clean our room. "They don't always come back to check to see if you have taken down the do not disturb sign down:. I was aghast. I was in shock. We weren't the room at the end of the hall, but more in the middle. It was very obvious that our DND sign was down.

I was very disappointed because we did, as we always do, left a $5 tip for the housekeeper. We don't ask for anything extra, my wife used to clean motel rooms in Jackson Hole, WY and knows what a tough job it is.

About 20 minutes later, a housekeeper showed up while I was on the phone. She worked extremely fast. After my phone call, I told her not to worry about anything except for new shampoo and soap, coffee, and towels. She was very nice and obviously happy to get a $5 tip.

What REALLY threw me over the edge was a phone call message AFTER I left the room from housekeeping saying that since I had my "Do Not Disturb" sign on all day on my door know they couldn't service the room. The other maid had already shown up to make up the room. There was NO do no disturb sign after 12:15 pm on the door knob. Somebody was OBVIOUSLY trying to cover their rear.

The front desk should have originally just said "we will have your room made up soon," Instead, they said it was MY fault by keeping the DND sign out until 12:15.

Apparently, the customer is always wrong at the Hilton Garden Inn El Paso University. They don't have much competition and they obviously don't care about the service they provide.

This is the worst service we have received at a major chain hotel in decades.
Shame on you Hilton.

OK, good stuff: quiet hotel. Very nice bed. Coffee maker in room. Very bad small shampoo samples. Good hot water and nice shower. The omelet the gregarious cook prepared for me was great! Great location if you have business with UTEP,

Oh, the WiFi was very poor. If I lasted 15 minutes on it, I was ecstatic! Also, the TV reception SUCKED!!!!! Many channels didn't receive at all. We were told by the front desk they were changing systems and some channels didn't come in well. Sorry, but that is insulting. The changing of systems is not going to continuously be giving bad service.

This was the mantra of the hotel: "It's not our problem!" They don't care to give good service, they are rude, they cover their rear. I would give this property a zero rating if not for my wife being a very nice person. I will stand behind every one of my statements. Either this property needs a new owner who understands how to run a quality property or needs to eliminate the management at the hotel.

If I had the time, I would confront the current management and ask them why such poor incidents are happening on their grounds. If at all possible, we will NEVER stay here again or recommend it to any friends or business colleagues.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank vegasniceguy
MichelleKaip, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest - Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We truly value your feedback.
We pride ourselves in providing each and every guest with a high quality experience and it seems we have fallen short during your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused to you while staying with us. I will follow up with my team immediately to ensure we take all necessary steps to make sure this does not happen in the future.

I would like to make you aware that we have upgraded our television service and our internet service upgrade is also ordered and should be completed within 30 days.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback. I will use this information to continue to improve our product and services.

Best Regards