“great hotel, great people, loved it.”

Camino Real El Paso
Ranked #67 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Reviewed 10 May 2008

This hotel was fantastic. We loved it. One of the best we stayed in on our Amtrak trip through the USA.

Beautiful and large clean room. Great staff at desk and the guys who organised taxis and shuttles were very helpful. Luxurious surroundings in lobby and bar. We felt very comfortable with room and staff. And the people of El Paso are beautiful !!

Internet in lobby was a joy - no problems with emails. A computer was always available at no charge.

Great position close to Amtrak, shopping, restaurants and Juarez.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 April 2008

I'm sorry, but the rooms are awful. The lobby and lobby bar is beautiful which is very misleading. Front desk staff are consistently slow, barely friendly and unhelpful. I had to change rooms because the air conditioning did not work. Then in the second room, the air still did not work. The linens smelled old as did the pillows. The bathrooms are hideous, the grout is stained and moldy, the fixtures are rusted and look like they are going to fall off. And on top of this, they charge $5 each time you park your car, no in and out privledges.

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the past 6 months and have had similar experiences.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank garp57
Reviewed 2 April 2008

I stayed while traveling on business recently. The restaurants are very nice and the Dome Bar is nice, but other amenities need some updating.

- The Bad - If you traveling for business the Camino has very poor access to the internet. The say they have wireless, but they don't really have it. Rooms need to be fixed up a bit otherwise nice enough for couple days.

- The Good - This would be a good place for a weekend stay or nice dinner.

In all this hotel could be great if they just spent some money bringing the rooms up to date.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2008

I stay here for 3 nights, and we use 2 rooms. All my stay was good, Above it will explain all the hotel from the beginning to the end of the stay.

Location
It was one if the main problems it was a little far from the Cielo Vista Mall that was our main thing and also it was a little difficult to get there, but well.

Building
The building like in their homepage they say it that it was constructed in the 1912, a lomg time ago, so all is old, but one thing that it really amazed me it was the dome bar with their ceiling of Tiffany it´s amaizing, but well that is in the bar

Check in Check out
Both were kind of fast, the chek in with some problems because some type of bed, but at final it was quik and with a good service.

Rooms
Both rooms, double bed and king size, were almost the same, the only thing that it was different was in the king room, there was more space for obvious reasons, and also the view was different, both were normal it only chose the city and it was nothing wow.
Something that is important to know is that the room, like I say it is old and the bathroom smells bad but I know that you can tell someone of front desk.

Restaurant Azulejos
W only have breakfeast two times unfortunely they pickup the buffet at 10:30 so it was something that we didn´t like.
All the restaurant is like of 3.5 stars out of 5.

Extras
In the extras there was a gift shop which it was very pricy, but we didn´t buy anithing. We also use the service of the bellboy, and it was excellent. Also the parking, but well it was valet parking I think it cost like 5 dollars.

If the ask me if I will return, I will say no because I know they are better hotels, but for all the buissenes man and the people who stay 1 or two nights this is perfect, it´s in front of an Art Museum and 5 blocks of the Convention Center, also it´s like 8 blocks of the I-10.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Oscar A
Reviewed 27 January 2008

Mixed bag. On one hand, the common areas are nice, and the staff tries extremely hard to approximate the service of a first-class hotel. But my room was dingy-to-the-max: smelled musty, peeling wallpaper, rust in bathroom fixtures, and a TV with the worst quality picture I have had in a motel room (including Days Inn and Motel 6) in 20 years. Room service food was OK. With luck, the owners will eventually get this hotel into shape.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank klaskro
Reviewed 28 December 2007

I stayed here with a group of friends doing a road trip around Arizona, Texas and New Mexico. When booking we were concerned by the comments on Trip Advisor, but the manager assured us that the refurbishments would be completed by the time we were arrived.
As promised, all the rooms were refurbished, and after a bit of negotiation we got all the rooms on the 7th floor. This had been arranged in the booking, but the staff were initially not going to comply with this request.
The rooms were clean and large, nicely furnished and the bed was firm and comfortable. The use of wall tiles on the floor of the bathroom, may not be be a good idea in the long term, but at the time we were there they were all intact.
The legs of the ironing board collapsed on use, the design being what you might expect in a cheap Super 8 motel.
The location at the top of the shopping district and within walking distance of the bridge served us well.
We did not eat in the dome restaurant which seemed more expensive with less exotic meals than I remembered from my visit in 2004. The mexican restaurant which also serves as the breakfast room served excellent value meals and was great for breakfast too.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adder_65
Reviewed 12 December 2007

I must admit I was more than a little nervous about checking into this hotel after reading some of the reviews on this site. But, my co-worker had made the arrangements and I had little choice but to go along.

I expected to find an old hotel with a great lobby that hid horror stories in the rooms. This simply was not the case. What I found was a very solid four-star property that was well maintained, clean and more than acceptable.

True the rooms have older furniture and lack flat screen televisions. True the plumbing fixtures are probably at least 30 years old. However the rooms and bathrooms were meticulously clean and nearly spotless.

Overall, I have no qualms about recommending this hotel to business travelers like myself.

When I return to El Paso, I will be returning to this property.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business