“A gem in downtown El Paso”

Camino Real El Paso
Ranked #67 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A gem in downtown El Paso”
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Spent one night in this beautiful old hotel. Wonderful public spaces, comfortable room with fabulous views and very friendly and helpful staff. Definitely the place to stay in El Paso. Fantastic value.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we are you top choice of all the hotels in El Paso.
We hope to see you back soon, please contact me so I can personally arrange your stay with us.
Always at your service,

Enrique De la Cueva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Elliston
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I hope this historic hotel gets the work it needs to continue to be a charming place to stay. It is on the verge of needing a lot of basic infrastructure updated. It has lovely old furniture, large spaces, and the bar is magnificent. TV's are old with poor picture quality. In room coffee maker had not been cleaned regularly so water it heated could not be used to make hot tea. Breakfast buffet was very good & included in our room rate. This was a perfect location for us since the Sun Bowl Fan Fest, an outstanding event, was across the street.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear guest, thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us. We appreciate your honesty and sincere comments. We are glad that you enjoyed our Texas size rooms. We are working on the remodeling project to better serve you in the future. Hope to see you back soon.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Been staying here at various times of the year for over four years, mostly out of convenience. Have seen a marked decline. Property really needs a complete renovation. On our most recent trip had continued maintenance problems which were never solved and no apology or offer to adjust the rate. Room was shabby (i.e. old carpet with burn marks, old furniture looking like it was just thrown in the room, dusty, old TV, obsolete bathtub, and dirty window). We quit going to the restaurant at breakfast due to poor and slow service.

However, the bar is decent - nothing out of this world, but not bad either.

Will continue to go here for the downtown shopping, but if there was a newer hotel in the immediate area we would go there. The property has alot of potential. The owners should put some money into it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the south side offer excellent views of downtown Juarez.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review. The complaints you expressed are very important to us and we intend to ensure that this does not happen in the future. We will ensure that our staff is aware on the importance of meeting the level of service that is expected as a Camino Real Hotel. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact me so I can personally arrange your stay.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at the Camino Real for the 2012 Sun Bowl and wished we had done something different. I thought it would would be great to be where the action is for the Sun Bowl activities, but was extremely disappointed with the hotel and even contacted their parent company. I did not write a review of the hotel at that time because when I got online and looked, everyone had beat me to it. I am writing today because again I got online and see they are still getting negative reviews which suggests management is not interested in correcting the problems. Our problems were: very run down room, couldn't get served in the bar so went upstairs and ordered room service which took forever, food was cold and they forgot the silverware. How can you forget silverware for a meal? But since there is nothing else really happening in downtown so you are kinda stuck. The New Year's Eve party was incredibly loud, was a local event and had no connection with the Sun Bowl but is located so that most of the hotel guests that have a window (all of them) are going to hear it. There was no peace until around 2am. I wish we had stayed near the airport, come in at the last minute and left as soon as possible. And if you want good shopping, drive to Las Cruces. In fact, stay there and drive in for the game.

Room Tip: Stay in Las Cruces
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jackie049
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time on giving us a review. I am sorry you feel aggrieved with your visit, please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt so negatively about your stay as this is not the feedback we like to receive. The complaints you expressed are very important to us and we intend to ensure that this does not happen in the future. We hope you will have an opportunity to return and enjoy the Camino Real, please feel free to contact me so I can personally arrange your visit.
Waynesville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Up front, I stayed at the Camino Real in El Paso, Texas for a week in November of 2013. The reason for my stay is due to the fact that my husband, being in the national guard, had been in El Paso for months and was given a pass to stay with family within a twenty mile radius of his base. Including myself and my husband, my party included four guests who did stay at this hotel for a week.

On the upside, check-in was not terrible; however I would chalk that up to the fact that a person in my party could not be with us. I booked two rooms (one a single bed. the other having two beds) and the hotel was booked when I came to check-in, but had two rooms, just both with one bed. One room was located on the ninth floor, the other was on floor twelve.

The bathroom was terrible. The water was either way to hot or way too cold and took a long time to adjust to a reasonable temperature. The tile and facilities were out of date and needed a serious scrubbing. In addition, on our last night, the toilet in one of my rooms broke, and spilled water all over the floor.

Most of the lights around the room and the bathroom flickered frequently. During my stay the hotel lost power in the rooms on several floors for most of the day, causing inconveniences to many guests. No manager or anyone ever gave mention of how long power would be lost or how affected guests would be compensated. Also during my stay, in the morning (9 a.m.) the fire alarms screech to life and send me into a panic, so instantly I got up to evacuate, but the alarm stopped and I felt confused. After another alarm, my husband called the front desk and was informed the hotel was testing their alarm system. I seriously recommend letting guests know a test on the alarm system will be happening and when, to avoid upsetting guests who wanted to sleep in.

by the way, I like to take the stairs instead of an elevator and the stairs at this hotel are 1. creepy, 2. hazardous, and 3. sweltering. The stairs are all concrete, no carpeting or nice paint, and no safe no-slip strips. Electrical wiring was exposed on several levels. windows are not found in the stair wells and the lighting was rather dim or out on some levels as well.

As far as the actual room goes, the bed was nice. The T.V. was a tube television. The entertainment center was quite old and one door kept shutting over the T.V. Really, I have stayed at nicer hotels for less money that included refrigerators, microwaves, laundry facilities for guests, etc. By the way, the pool is outside on the tenth floor with no view other than four bland concrete walls.

Lastly, the bar is okay. The service was mediocre and the drinks were not consistent. We sat at the bar on two nights; ordered the same drinks on both nights (one drink per person in our party), and neither night was very similar to each other.

Honestly, I just want to let potential guests to know what they might be in for. I understand the hotel is quite old and historical; however, there is no acceptable excuse in my opinion for so many short comings for a hotel of such a caliber.

Room Tip: The junior suite was nicer than the king suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lauren T
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We have addressed the alarm testing issue as well as the stairs security and spoken with the managers in question. In regards to the TV's we are currently undergoing an upgrade in our systems, and we continue to work on the areas that need improvement to better serve you in the future. Thank you.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 October 2013

A nice lobby area and the bar area is definitely the star attraction of the hotel--the stained glass dome is not to be missed. However………the guest rooms are in sore need of updating. Although it is a historic hotel, the amenities in the rooms are old, worn, and outdated. Bathroom fixtures are corroded. Food from the grill was only average. They did provide a state rate, though, and I was on business…...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay. We appreciate your honesty and sincere comments. We are working on the remodeling plans, to better serve you in the future. We hope to see you back soon.
East Ellijay, Georgia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I was here for a large wedding. The wedding party and out of town guests all stayed at the property. From check in through check out the staff failed to meet even minimum requests. The wedding party and family were supposed to have all renovated rooms together, refrigerators in room--didn't happen. Rooms either weren't cleaned or done after 5pm. Wake up call for airport never done. The WORST hotel experience ever.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory on such an important day. Corrective actions have taken place to ensure that this won't happen again. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.