“Exceptional Hotel”

Camino Real El Paso
Ranked #67 of 80 Hotels in El Paso
Reviewed 30 September 2008

This is a wonderful old hotel. The architectual elements make it stunning visually. I stayed over a long weekend on 8th floor and the view was great. The service received was well above average from a friendly and helpful staff. Camino Real is easy to get to and is in a good location to get to anywhere in the city relatively easily and parking is great. (You receive a parking credit if you fill out the hotel feedback form.) The hotel is old so do not expect state of the art amenties, but the rooms are roomy, clean, and comfy.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Lisa_Magee

Reviewed 8 September 2008

I had my doubts but was delightfully surprised.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
The room was large and clean although room service was non-existant unless you called for it.
The food in both restaurants was exceptional and priced accordingly.
The bar, well, you have to see the Tiffany dome to experience the real beauty of it.
Again, terrific experience and an oasis. Would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank windchaserNJ
Reviewed 22 July 2008

My husband and two sons, ages 7 and 14, stayed at the Camino Real for 3 nights. We LOVED it! The underground parking was cheap, $5 for self park or $7 for valet, it was easy to get to, and everytime we called the front desk they were always very sweet and helpful. Our room was on the 6th floor, 2 double beds and there was so much room! Yes, it's an old property, but thats usually what's gonna happen when you book a "historical" hotel. The bellmen were very helpful, suggested Tejas cafe as a great cheap spot to eat and was just about 3-4 blocks away. Room service one night was pretty good. They were out of pasta, not a huge deal. The pool is small but it suited us fine, just a place for the boys to spend some energy. All in all, I'll always book this place. Felt clean, safe, and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank AmberRaquel
Reviewed 10 July 2008

I grew up in El Paso and for as long as I can remember the Camino Real (and under all its previous owners) has been THE swanky place to stay in El Paso. When I got the chance to stay there I was very excited - but that excitement soon faded once I got to my room. It wasn't the out-dated facilities that bothered me - I would have been fine with that, but the fact that the sheets REAKED of bleach, were stained (which I didn't realize until the last day), had cotton ball "pills" (i.e., they were really old) and the bathtub had easily removed mold (I ran my fingernail over it to see how hard it would be to remove it and it came off without effort.) AND the "new"carpet REAKED of funk and wet dog! And no I didn't contact the management about it, because I didn't want to have to deal with the hassle it would have been. (I was traveling on business with my toddler and it would have been a HUGE hassle to have them correct those issues.)

I did ask them for washcloths since there weren't any and more light so I could read at the desk since there was only one free standing lamp about 5 feet from the desk. Housekeeping did deliver those without issue.

I gave it an "OK" because I LOVE the Tiffany Domes - BUT he rooms need desperate help. And No, I wouldn't stay there again for a long time.

• Stayed: July 2008
5  Thank onl99
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I was a bit hesitant about booking at the Camino Real, based on other reviews on this site, but given the nature of our stay (a show by a favorite artist at the jewel Plaza Theatre across the street), it didn't seem right to book at a chain-y bland box-hotel. We booked a Junior suite for 2 nights (price cheaper than a regular room at other establishments) , and couldn't have been more pleased. The bed was large and very comfortable. The room was huge, with nice old furnishings, and a beautiful brown marble/granite bath. Everything was spotlessly clean, and our wireless connection was blazing fast. (we were situated on the 6th floor right above the lobby, which may have helped). The concierge was helpful and polite at all times, and the Dome Bar downstairs was breathtaking. El Paso has a lot of charm and quirks-- and we chose to emphasize that with our stay. This hotel provides loads of personality and a central location that cannot be beat by any other place in the city, in my opinion. I'd recommend it highly to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CAintheBK
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I'm surprised to read the bad reviews on bathroom or whatever. I was very happy about my stay in the Camino Real: NIce people, excellent food, perfect consulting on several questions (other restaurants, cross the border). Will return.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 May 2008

This hotel was fantastic. We loved it. One of the best we stayed in on our Amtrak trip through the USA.

Beautiful and large clean room. Great staff at desk and the guys who organised taxis and shuttles were very helpful. Luxurious surroundings in lobby and bar. We felt very comfortable with room and staff. And the people of El Paso are beautiful !!

Internet in lobby was a joy - no problems with emails. A computer was always available at no charge.

Great position close to Amtrak, shopping, restaurants and Juarez.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple