“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #61 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Australia
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed 30 October 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in October 2008. The male receptionist was very friendly and welcoming when we checked in. We requested an upstairs room but unfortunately one wasn't available. Our room was very nice and had an iron & board; microwave; fridge; hairdryer; airconditioner. Breakfast was included but was VERY basic. The hotel is close to the airport and planes do fly over BUT they don't fly late at night (no later than 9pm) or early in the morning. The hotel is close to the main road which is very busy, but when you close the door to your room you hear no noise. There is a guest laundry with 2 machines. The carpet in our room appeared OK but was quite dirty. The carpet was a little wet in parts from where the maid had cleaned it before we arrived. When you walked in socks or barefeet they ended up black. The sink in the bathroom was small and there wasn't anywhere to put your toiletries. The maids were most friendly and accommodating. I asked for a couple of extra pillows and they were delivered to our room immediately. One negative we did have was one of the receptionists - a young woman with dark hair (didn't get her name). She was one of the most unhelpful front desk staff we encountered on our 6 week tour of the USA. (In my assessment of the hotel I have ignored her rudeness as it was not what the rest of the staff were like.) When we first arrived at the hotel we asked about local restaurants and the male receptionist advised us to eat at a local Mexican Restaurant - Los Bandidos de Carlos and Mickeys. We ate there that night and the food was very tasty and reasonably priced. When you are seated at your table they give you a huge bowl of salsa and chips. My husband and I had tacos with beans, rice and guacamole plus drinks, all for $21. The restaurant itself was just gorgeous - beautiful old building with the most wonderful decor. We also ate at the diner next door and found the food very nice, reasonably priced and the staff extremely friendly.) We would stay here again and recommend it to family and friends.

• Liked — Price and location for what we wanted to do
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank SharonKai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 7 August 2008

For the price it is a decent property. It is fairly close to the airport and directly across the street from the BMW dealership. Had our car serviced there and walked across the street to the room.

Stayed July 2008
St. Louis
Reviewed 12 March 2007

This would have been an okay, budget lodging, except that when I checked into my room, it smelled strongly of cat urine, so much that my eyes watered and my nose burned. I changed rooms, but the smell didn't change all that much. It was an uncomfortable night.

Eileen from St. Louis

• Liked — proximity to airport
  • Disliked — distinctive ammonia smell in room
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank St.LouisEileen

Travellers are raving about these El Paso hotels

Sugar Land, TX
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,213 helpful votes
Reviewed 28 December 2006

I stayed at the EconoLodge Ft. Bliss over the two nights of 25-26 December 2006, using it as a base of operations for travel around the area.

To reach this Econo from the El Paso airport, exit the airport, go through a couple of stoplights, turn right onto Montana Avenue, go less than a mile, and turn right into the motel's entrance about a block past the KMart. From Interstate 10, one may take Exit 25 (Airway) or Exit 24 (Geronimo). The motel is simple to find and to get to. There is plenty of parking in front and back of the motel, with two entry driveways -- one off Montana, one off a cross-street.

It's easy to see how this Econo was named an "Inn of the Year" for 2006.

Although December 25 was Christmas Day, the front desk was manned by the desk clerkette and the maintenance man. My reservation was in order. As always, I had requested "highest floor" (in this case, 2nd) and "quietest room possible." I was given room 201 directly over the lobby. Check-in was as speedy as I've ever experienced. Both personnel gave me accurate, understandable local and area driving-directions to where I needed to go.

The very spacious bedroom comprised two full beds with an end-table between them, a work desk with chair, two other chairs, a large TV inside a wooden console, a microwave, and a small fridge. A rack on the work desk held motel stationery and useful literature.

My room was excellent in every way except three: [1] There were NO electrical outlets in the entire bedroom (I unplugged a lamp from the corded outlet tap that the hotel itself used in order to plug in all of its own appliances). [2] The bathroom countertop consisted of a little space around the basin and a narrow ledge above the toilet. Because I leave toiletries spread out, I pulled a chair from the bedroom to set some of them on. [3] The shower head was quite low (perhaps 5'6"), which obliged me to contort my 6'2" body in order to shower.

Everything was immaculately clean. Lighting was ample. The bed was comfortable. The bath linens, typical of a mid-budget chain motel, were small and on the thin side, but they did the job. The bathroom contained a hair-dryer, a single-use packet of shampoo, and empty bags for used sanitary napkins. The water pressure was very good. The shower-curtain rod is curved outward so that the curtain won't get sucked inward during one's shower.

Breakfast in the motel lobby involved coffee, orange juice, a hot/cold water machine, and a fresh box of doughnuts on both days. There may also have been some fruit. A public computer and laser printer in the lobby are extremely handy to have. Free copies of the local newspaper are provided in the lobby. Outside the lobby are two soft-drink machines and a newspaper machine. There are plenty of trash cans and ashtrays along the exterior corridors of both floors. The desk staff and the shuttle drivers are exceptionally friendly, helpful, and courteous. I saw some guests walking their dogs, so this motel is pet-friendly.

Checkout was as swift and slick as check-in had been -- a "blink of an eye" compared with the tedious-or-worse productions that even top hotels can put guests through.

Normally, I'm tormented by the slightest hotel noise. The only noise came from the maintenance and airport-shuttle staff closing the office door below me, and from an occasional aircraft banking overhead during takeoff climb, and once from the door of the room next to me. Otherwise, there was NO noise of any sort. I slept soundly both nights, which is really something for me to be able to say. Also, none of the room doors squeaked!

Montana Avenue is a fairly busy thoroughfare, with fast food (Arby's, Burger King) and several small Mexican restaurants mainly to one's right upon exiting the motel. The KMart a block to the left is very good to be near.

Summary: With the exception of the three comparatively minor observations above, everything about this motel is appealing. I strongly recommend that you consider staying here for one night or longer.

• Liked — Everything important to guest comfort/service was in order.
  • Disliked — No extra electrical outlets in the bedroom.
  • Tips/Secrets — Lodging here would be a smart decision for you.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
30 Thank TBoneTX
Chicago IL
Reviewed 9 September 2004

This motel has a good location -- within a mile from Ft. Bliss and from the airport. The room was clean and included a mini-fridge and a microwave. The room was pretty basic and small, but it is a budget hotel. The hotel advertises a continental breakfast but that means coffee, tea, OJ and some very mediocre donuts that quickly ran out. It also advertises a heated pool, but the water was quite chilly -- surprising considering how hot EL Paso is. It has some nice palm trees around it but, unfortunately is right next to a very busy thoroughfare. Worst of all, the second night we were there, the pool was only half full of water and the third day, it was closed altogether for repairs.
Service was very good; extra towels were quickly brought and the maintenance man quickly provided a new remote control when the old one didn't work.

One odd thing -- by booking through Expedia, we actually got airfare plus this hotel for $50 less per person, than if we had just gotten airfare alone! I don't understand that all -- it was like being paid to stay there -- but it was OK by me!

• Stayed September 2004