“In response to Hi-Fi-Guy's comments regarding this property”

Wyndham EL Paso Airport Hotel and Water Park
Ranked #19 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Tucson, Arizona
“In response to Hi-Fi-Guy's comments regarding this property”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I was part of the group (which is USTA Southwest Sectional Championships) that stayed at this property, however, I found his reviews are untrue and possibly he had unrealistic expectations of this property in El Paso. I am a frequent traveler domestically and abroad and I have stayed in many different types of quality hotels: mostly five-stars(Ritz, Four Seasons, Fairmont, Mandarin Oriental..etc) if available in the cities I travel, others if not. What I am trying to establish is that I have credible takes on this review since I was there over the same weekend as well.

I agree with nice spacious rooms and the pool area is nice and convenient location by the airport.

I strongly disagree with the NO SERVICE comment. I was there with 12 others in my group and we had always been greeted with personable service and warm welcomes whether in the bar(three nights) or restaurant(three days for breakfast and one night for dinner) areas. They even remembered my name and acknowledged me. The speed of the service may be slightly slower than you would expect from Metropolitan area-hotels, however, this is my second time in El Paso and I've got used to it: the service staff strive to meet your needs: it is not their intention to not serve you!

The breakfast buffet was standard as to what you'd expect for hotel of this caliber, nothing fancy like smoked salmon with capers or champagne(like what you'd get at Ritz club lounge). Staff was always nice and had to-go boxes for us when we had to get to our early matches. The buffet consisted of 4 types of eggs: two different omelets and two different scrambled eggs; bacon, sausage, various types of cereal and granola and breads and fruits. I truly think it's a great array of food for a FREE breakfast!

As for the hiring freeze, that may have come from a disgruntled employee, whether true or not, I don't know.

25% voucher worked out really well because it applies to your alcoholic beverages as well and I don't think that voucher offered free drinks in the evening.

The dinner we had at the hotel restaurant was delicious to our pleasant surprise: it ranged from seafood pasta, to prime ribs, fish...etc.... every dish was great and warm. So he may just had a bad experience.

I think the key here is: Hi_Fi_Guy's misconstrued expectation of this property in El Paso, Texas: he wanted amenities and qualities of a five star hotel which can cost well over at least 5 times of an executive suite he paid for at a group rate of USD 109... come on... give me a break.

Wyndham El Paso Airport does need some upgrading in it's amenities, however, the food and services do not deserve to be scrutinized by a reviewer with unrealistic expectations.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I also attended the USTA tennis tournament this previous weekend and have not one complaint! The food & service was absolutely outstanding. The service was friendly and the amenities were great. I was very pleased with how well this Hotel handled our huge group and will most definitely be coming back!

Room Tip: Excellent pool, food, and service!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
dlowrance, Manager at Wyndham EL Paso Airport Hotel and Water Park, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments. Our staff worked very hard to ensure that all our USTA Tennis Tournament guest had an excellent stay. I will definately pass your comments along.

Surprise, AZ
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Wyndham El Paso Airport is an average hotel featuring a pool with waterside, restaurant-bar, and meeting facilities. The hotel features self parking with no valet, concierge, or bell services available. The rooms are spacious if well worn and in need of refurbishment and maintenance. Service is hard to come by as the hotel runs on a "skeleton crew" who are spread so thin there is no way for them to meet the most basic needs of the typical traveler.

Pros;
+ Large standard rooms (executive suites very spacious with kitchenette and full living room).
+ While not a "water-park" as advertised the pool area is nice with a pool, jacuzzi, and waterside.
+ Location is steps from the airport and close to many restaurants and shopping.

Cons:
- Zero service. Staff members told us there is a hiring freeze and each employee is limited to 30 hours per week. There is no one to deliver room service, work in the restaurant & bar, etc. If you need anything beyond your room key expect to be on your own.
- Painfully slow internet. Paying for an executive suite with the intention of getting some business done will have you regretting the investment. Your smartphone has faster internet.
- Horrid foodservice. I can not stress enough just how poor the food & service from the on-site restaurant and bar is. Our group had several hundred people on-site for 4 nights and after the first day none ate the hotel food again. It was that bad. The hotel gives every guest a 25% Off voucher for on-site dining. Do not be tempted. Walk or drive to any of the restaurants in the area and you will dine 10X better.
- Worthless vouchers. We received vouchers for Free Breakfast each morning and Free Drinks each evening yet anytime we tried to redeem them we were given some excuse as to why we could not.
- Closed facilities. The front desk staff bragged about how much we would enjoy snacking poolside while sipping on cool drinks. Only problem is the poolside grill and bar is closed. No food was available on site between 2PM-6PM daily as the main restaurant closes between lunch and dinner.
- Broken amenities. Elevators would become stuck or doors not open or close. Faucets leaked onto floor. Tub drain was broken. Window and door locks beat-up. While not a dirty hotel, a lot of the furnishings and hardware were well used and worn.

Overall:
Our group had several hundred members and completely filled the hotel and paid for their meeting facilities yet no one at Wyndham felt compelled to provide anything resembling service. They could have made so much money just from food and drinks if they had made any effort. If they can not provide service for a group that drops six figures at their hotel what hope does the average traveler have?

If you want a large room and a nice pool close to the airport this will do so long as you do not require food or service while on site. For everyone else we heard very good things about the Marriott one block away and will try it next time.

Room Tip: Executive suites are spacious with kitchenettes, a sofa bed, and meeting/dining table.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent visit. I am sincerely sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. I am truly suprised by your comments as we have recieved so many compliments from the other members of the USTA tournament, some who have also given us reviews.
I wanted to touch on a few of your comments. We do have 24 hour bellman and concierge service, food service is available between 2pm - 6pm in our Lounge, and our pool side Cabana is open all day on Saturday.

I am sorry that the service you received did not live up to our standards and I feel it was more of an isolated issue rather than a group issue as the service comments have been outstanding.
My sincere apologies & I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I was in El Paso transitioning for a job and needed a place close to the airport and other local attractions so I figured I would give it a shot. The staff and accommodations made this process such a great experience. Everything I could want was steps from my room (pool,store,reasuturant,bar,ect.). The staff was pleasant and helpful with all my needs and requests. My room was clean, smartly furnished and had all the comforts of home.
Do yourself a favor and stay at the Wyndham.

Great place, great people!

Regards,

A new customer for life

• Stayed August 2012
"All the comforts of home" is exactly what we want our guest to feel. Thank you for the outstanding comments and to hear that we made a "New Customer for Life" is the ultimate compliment.

Hope to see you again soon.
Silicon Valley
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The Wyndham is super convenient for business travelers and military as it is walking distance from the airport and less than a mile from Fort Bliss. It's made up of several two-story buildings around a pool. It's great for families because they have a waterside and wading pool with fountain.
Rooms are quiet and clean, and the beds are very comfortable. Wifi in my building, Plaza 4 was super fast.
Their doing some freshening up so several rooms are being painted but the smell was well controlled.
On the downside it's a long walk from the hotel to any restaurant or convenience store but you'll probably have a car anyway.
The breakfast buffet is just OK. I recommend skipping it and ordering the Fiesta Breakfast off the menu. It's fantastic. Take it from an El Paso native.

• Stayed July 2012
dlowrance, Manager at Wyndham EL Paso Airport Hotel and Water Park, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers know about the convenience of the Wyndham El Paso Airport. Whether you are visiting for business or pleasure we have something for everyone.
On your next visit please utilize the complimentary hotel shuttle, which is available 24 hours a day and can drive you to the neighborhood restaurants.

Chef Amos will be pleased to hear that you enjoy his Fiesta Breakfast.
Hope to see you again soon!

dlowrance@wyndham.com
Greenville, Texas
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Hotel is clean, customer service is superb, great pool, relaxing, good food!

Room Tip: FYI:if you face the pool and it's the weekend, it gets a little noisy/rowdy with the kids in the...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Your comments are wonderful to hear - as customer service is key. I will definately pass it along to our staff.
So pleased you had a great stay & hope you visit us again soon.

dlowrance@wyndham.com
(915)778-4241
Reviewed 12 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband and our six children. They will only give you five wristbands for the pool ...so that sucked. The fact that you need wristbands and a room key card to even be able to use the elevator should tell you about their security issues. And I'm pretty sure there were some unsavory activities happening nearby based on the clientele we saw coming and going.

• Stayed July 2012
, Manager at Wyndham EL Paso Airport Hotel and Water Park, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Guest,

First let me thank you for choosing the Wyndham El Paso Airport. I sincerely apologize that you did not have a pleasant stay. I would like to offer a brief explanation of the issues you mentioned.

The pool & waterslide are large local attractions in the summer months & to ensure that all occupants are actually guest of the hotel we issue bracelets. For this reason we have to restrict the number of guest and bracelets per room. Our Executive Club Level Suites are located on private secure floors which is why you needed a key to access the elevator. Our regular Club Level guest love the added feel of a private floor with extra amenities. Our hotel does strive for that "resort" feel, as some other reviewers have mentioned, so please know that our procedures and key access are not due to issues but to maintain quality and service.

I hope you will give us another try in the future.

Travellers are raving about these El Paso hotels