“HockeyTrip 2014”

Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Reviewed 28 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Vanessa B, Manager at Wyndham EL Paso Airport Hotel and Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (1,173)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed here in mid-February, 2014 for a one night business trip. I did very much appreciate the location, which is so close to the airport that you can walk. However, I did not think much of the bedbug carcasses that I found on the bedsheets. I also was not pleased to find that they charge for breakfast. I walked back to the airport to get my coffee there instead. While the staff was pleasant, the unsanitary condition of the room leads me to recommend that you avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Vanessa B, Manager at Wyndham EL Paso Airport Hotel and Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for recent review and we appreciate all of our guest’s comments. We are pleased to hear you did find our location convenient and our staff was pleasant. However we were truly surprised to read your comments concerning your guest room. Our hotel has been sold out for the whole month in question with no record of any issues such as the type you mentioned. The staff here at our hotel is professionally trained by a nationally known company, ECOLAB, who are here weekly to inspect and service all of our rooms. We have always maintained a proactive approach on inspecting and insuring the cleanliness of each room before our guest’s arrival. Please know we have never had a confirmed case of bed bugs at our hotel, and that we take great pride in this accomplishment. We would like to research this complaint further but with NO ROOM NUMBER, NO NAME, NO DATE OF STAY we are unable to do so. However, once again due to our sold out status without any complaints concerning comments such as yours, we remain confident that our hotel is bed bug free as confirmed to us by ECOLAB Pest Control. We will continue to do our due diligence and proactive inspections in every effort to insure that our hotel remains bed bug free. Best Regards, Vanessa Barrera

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This hotel really should be considered two different hotels. The new part where the main lobby and the reception is located is very nice with all suites. The rest of the hotel rooms not located in phase 1 are really old two story dumps that remind me of a run down motel 6. I travel to El Paso very regularly for work and on the recommendation of one of the people I was traveling with I booked my stay here for the first time. My room was very old, had rust in the shower, the hot water only got luke warm in the morning and you can hear every step that anyone takes in your area. You enter phase two through an old metal door that leads to this part of the hotel. The sliding glass door that opens up to the courtyard only has a small metal lock on it and you can hear conversations from people out in the courtyard at all hours of the night. The person I am traveling with has a room in the tower that has a separate living room and is very nice. I asked if I could be moved to the other part of the hotel and I was told that it was an upgrade in price. I know that isn't the case for the person I am traveling with, as we are both traveling on Government rates for work. We are both Gold members with Wyndham hotels so I do not believe that makes a difference either If you know you are going to be in the tower it is quite nice. If you are not sure it is quite a gamble with several other nice hotels that are not a gamble right down the road. I checked out and moved right down the road and I will not be back.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in Phase 1 or avoid
1  Thank Brian L

Thank you for your recent stay. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel an share your thoughts. As you did mention we do have a main tower to our hotel which consists of 2 room suites. Our exterior plaza rooms are like you mentioned one room only and not 2 room suites which is why the standard plaza rooms are priced lower. Upgrades are made available at check in for an additional fee. We apologize you were not informed of the differences in the room types when your reservation was made. Thank again for your review. Best Regards and Safe Travels, Vanessa Barrera

Reviewed 17 February 2014

1  Thank Scott S
Vanessa B, Manager at Wyndham EL Paso Airport Hotel and Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Reviewed 13 February 2014

My last visit to the El Paso area was four years ago and my hotel of choice was the Hyatt Place off of Interstate 10. Because of this, I asked a colleague of mine where I should stay since he travels to El Paso once every six weeks. He recommended the Wyndham.

First of all, the hotel is located a short walk away from the airport. You literally walk out of the airport, make a right and then cross the street to the hotel. If you have more than just your carry-on and personal item, the Wyndham does have a shuttle to pick you up despite the short distance. The lobby is impressive and the staff is friendly.

Because the lobby is impressive, I expected that the rooms would be the same. The rooms, while decently decorated and clean, could use an upgrade. My room was actually a suite with a separate living room, bathroom, bedroom and bar with a coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. The bed was just the right of amount of hardness and the shower felt great after a long day at work. In the hallway leading to my room, there was a slight musty smell the first day and then it was gone. I'm not sure if I got used to the smell, or if it had been taken care of with Febreeze.

I stayed on the first floor facing the courtyard. While this afforded me a great view of the courtyard, it also exposed me to a lot of noise as well. There was hotel staff coming and going as well as guests. My recommendation is to stay on one of the higher floors, which should minimize much of the noise.

If you need a quick bite to eat, try the hotel's restaurant. The food is surprisingly good. Try their nachos if you want a filling appetizer or a taco salad if you want something filling, but light. The sandwiches are on par with what you would get if you went to a Jason's Deli.

The complimentary breakfast is surprisingly good as well. Bacon, eggs, pancakes and sausage...all cooked fresh and served up buffet style. Fruit was also available. No time to stop for coffee? Get your coffee to go in the lobby. My colleagues and I were impressed that they were serving Starbucks coffee.

The hotel has an onsite nail salon and gift shop.

My only negative comment about the hotel is the location of their gym. It was not in the main building, but rather in the middle of the courtyard. As someone who tries to work out while traveling, I did not feel comfortable walking in the dark of the morning or in the dark of night to the middle of the courtyard to go work out.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor facing the courtyard. You will hear everything.
1  Thank BelindaJ770