“Very Average”

Ranked #19 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Anchorage, Alaska
“Very Average”
Reviewed 13 February 2009

Arrived at the Wyndham El Paso Airport last Sunday at around 9:00pm. It was a stone's throw from the El Paso airport; truly convenient, as it took 5 minutes to walk there. The lobby was small and cramped due to large, Christmas-mural-painted wooden panels separating the area under construction. Check-in was average, with little information offered by the clerk other than where my room was located. I noticed free internet was offered at two small computer stations across from the elevators.

I had a late dinner at Magnim's restaurant. The mozzarella salad was good, as were the fresh strawberries and cream. The entree prices were high, with the lowest being around $17; a bit expensive for bland hotel dining. There was little consistency to the menu with Italian salads, Mexican appetizers, seafoods, and vegetable soups. To the hotel I would recommend revamping the menu to something more local and specialized. The decor was, again, bland and uninspiring.

A continental breakfast was not offered with my room rate; a practice virtually standard in most other hotels. However, the clerk, upon check-in and at my request, did inform me that a breakfast buffet was available in the restaurant for $12. There are no other restaurants in the immediate vicinity besides those in the airport or other hotels.

After dinner, I proceeded to my room, outside and across the courtyard where the pools were located. The room was, once again, average with updating needed. There was a popcorn ceiling and dark, dated hollow-core doors. The toilet and shower room door lock didn't work. A curtain stretched across one entire wall where the window resided; a simple illusion, however, because the window was only 1/3 of the wall. And it was dirty. The second night I was there I pulled the overstuffed chair to in front of the window to read as the sun set. Under the chair were bits of paper, a piece of plastic, and much dust. The entire room felt like it needed attention from the housekeeping staff.

The bed was not the most uncomfortable that I've slept in, but certainly not the best.

All in all it was not an unpleasant experience, but certainly average. This hotel could be a great experience if Wyndham were more consistent in services and remodeling.

Positives: location, food
Negatives: housekeeping, lack of continental breakfast, small lobby

• Liked — location, food
  • Disliked — housekeeping, no continental breakfast, small lobby
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Latham, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2009

I have stayed at this hotel before and you cannot ask for a more safe and convenient place to stay on a visit to El Paso. In addition, the entire staff is pleasent to work with and you are treated very well.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
New Mexico
Reviewed 22 December 2008

Excellent room and the service was outstanding. A little construction, but it was not inconvient to the hotel nor our stay. The restaurant was not bad and we enjoyed the buffet.

• Liked — Front Desk staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Cary,NC
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Our family recently stayed at the Wyndham in El Paso and had such a wonderful experience. Our suite was extremely spacious and so clean we felt right to home. My wife and I really enjoyed the restaurant and our whole family had so much fun at the water park. We were surprised at how close we were to the airport, yet how little noise we noticed.
We're definitely going to stay there again the next time we're in El Paso.

• Liked — clean, spacious, water park, great people
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank jmb_in_cary
dlowrance, Manager at Wyndham EL Paso Airport Hotel and Water Park, responded to this review, 4 August 2008
Thank you for choosing the Wyndham El Paso Airport & Waterpark. We truly appreciate all comments and suggestions. I am so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience and felt at home. We are happy you enjoyed the food and I will personally pass along your comments to Chef Amos. Please contact me if I can ever assist you in the future and we hope to see you soon.

LCat2
Reviewed 24 July 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Wyndham last weekend while we were in town visiting friends. We got in fairly late and had a wonderful dinner at the hotel restaurant. It had a nice feel and the food was really good. We were both tired and we were pleased to find a clean comfortable room waiting for us. We had time to spend in the big pool area which was refreshing and relaxing the next day. The best part though, was that we had to leave early in the morning and we were so close to the airport saving us time and allowing me to sleep in a little longer! Overall, the hotel was exactly as we hoped it would be and we would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — convenience to the airport
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LCat2
Thank you for choosing the Wyndham El Paso Airport & Waterpark. We appreciate all your kind comments. I am pleased that our close proximaty to the airport was able to give you some extra sleep, and that you were able to relax in the swimming pool. Chef Amos will be glad to hear you had a wonderful meal in the restaurant.

We hope you will return soon and please contact me directly if I can ever assist you.

Missouri
Reviewed 15 July 2008

Stayed Sun, Jun 1st - Wed, Jun 4; 2 adults 2 children (aged 6&8); Nice size room on 1st floor facing the waterslide. Had 2 double beds that were comfortable. Plenty of floor space and lighting. No eating table available but did have a desk and a side chair with tea table.

No vent in bathroom - gets rather steamy after a shower. Restaurant very slow - used only once. Lots of restaurants in area. Pool area seperated into 4 zones - swim pool; whirlpool; waterslide; kids splash mushroom.

Hotel in walking distance of airport (literally walk across a small parking lot from baggage claim) the airport noise didn't bother me. It was the constant banging of the metal security gate followed by the banging of the hallway entrance gate that got on my nerves.

It was an okay stay.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank TX_Carolyn
dlowrance, Manager at Wyndham EL Paso Airport Hotel and Water Park, responded to this review, 25 July 2008
Thank you for choosing the Wyndham and we truly value your business and your comments. We know guest like yourself appreciate our proximity to the airport and area restaurants. I am disappointed and suprised to hear you had some negative experiences. Our suites are equipped with a large desk and a coffee table, but if you need more room we do have 3 conference suites that have a large dining room table. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences and I would be happy to discuss this further with you thru telephone or email.

Travellers are raving about these El Paso hotels

LA
Reviewed 1 July 2008

Just return from extended weekend at this hotel. First, the hotel is nice, but I have been at Holiday Inns better than this. I am not sure if it was because they just acquired the building from another competitor because I do not remember them being there before and I travel to ELP frequently.

I guess I will start with the fact that their front desk PERSON whom I didn't get a name for, but she seem to be there during the first shift. (short woman 5'0 tall, mid 20's, short black hair). Not a friendly person. I got there Thursday, about mid day and I drove to ELP from LAX with a family of five. We were tired, hungry and HOT. Well, I couldn't even check in early because she still didn't have any availability. She literally told me that I would have to wait either at the nearest mall or just drive around some more. Which wasn't very nice. Didn't even offer for us to at least wait in the lobby. I guess I figure its not within the rules to have people wait around in the lobby. (Go Figure) When we did check in which was at 3 PM she never told me that my family needed to have a wrist band to wear while being in the pool area. Never went over the rules or anything of the sort. So, it was kind of embarrassing when they told my daughter that she couldn't ride the waterslide because she didn't have a wrist band. Oh and she never smiled. It seemed to me like she was doing me the favor of being there.

And their so call Water World...OMG! Its nice...if they had it open. Yes folks. Make sure you call ahead of time to find out if its open. This place loves to advertise they have the best water world and all the pizzas that goes with it, but they only had it open one time I was there and it was the day I left and it was only open for about two hours on a cloudy day! AHHHHH

I have to say though, the staff such as maid services, servers and this wonderful woman waitress that waited on us through our three day stay were great.

So if you are in El Paso for a day or two and not planning to use the hotel facilities other than their room. Its an ok to stay, but if you are there with the family and looking forward to their SO CALL WATER WORLD...call head. This place has a lot of restriction and great advertisement, but nothing good to show for it!

• Liked — The Breakfast
  • Disliked — The front desk person.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank silchi24
dlowrance, Manager at Wyndham EL Paso Airport Hotel and Water Park, responded to this review, 10 July 2008
We appreciate all guests comments and suggestions. We apologize that reviewer was disappointed and we do make every effort to check in guest earlier than the 3pm check in time, but sometimes this is not possible due to departing guest. The pool is open daily from 7am-10pm and the waterslide is open daily Mon-Fri 4pm to dusk, Saturday 9:30am-dusk, Sunday 9:30-1 & 4pm - dusk.
We pride ourselves on customer service and when service is lacking we appreciate it being brought to our attention.