“One of the worst hotel experiences ever!”

Holiday Inn Express El Paso - Central
Ranked #36 of 83 Hotels in El Paso
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I came to this hotel to visit my husband who was training at one of the military bases nearby. The first thing I noticed was that this hotel is directly across the street from one of those "checks cashed here, money now places" but I reserved my judgements and figured it would be fine inside the hotel. I arrived alone as my husband was not off until the following day and I was immediately harassed by a male friend of a girl at the front desk. He followed me not once but twice to my room and even got on the computer after me and searched the history to see where I went....CREEEEEPY! The second time he came to my door and wanted to talk to me I decided it was time to check out. because I was scared. I packed my stuff, went down to the desk, told the staff that I felt unsafe and that I would like to checkout immediately without charge, which they allowed me to do. I was actually so scared from the situation that I left without another hotel even lined up. Thank God the Hyatt Place had rooms avaialable. In all fairness, the hotel allowed me to check out and the management called me and offered me to come back at a reduced rate to make up for it. But knowing that guy was the friend of a worker there and was allowed to roam wherever he wanted made me feel unsafe. I wouldn't go there ever again but I would suggest women traveling alone strongly consider going somewhere else. The hotel seemed cute, but I was in and out within an hour and it's unfortunate that bad decisions on behalf of the staff made it so that I wouldn't find out what kind of hotel it really was at all.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank MakingMemories317

Reviewed 15 November 2009

This was right off the highway, which was welcome, but still pretty quiet (and I'm a light sleeper). Clean and friendly (on the front desk, Charles Ramirez was particularly helpful advising on restaurants -- there's not much close by, but the hotel shuttle took us to a good area and brought us back). The breakfast was pretty good, and the hotel also offered free fruit and snacks in the lobby area. Free Internet in the lobby area, too. Good value all round.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2009

You have to kind of figure out how to find it amongst the one way streets off the downtown i-10 exit, but once you do, as far as El Paso goes this is a very nice hotel. The building is older but the rooms are nice and the location is very central to anywhere you want to go in El Paso. From the steakhouse to the far east to business west of the university, it is easy to reach from this location. Staff is very friendly and lately you can get a 3,000 priority club points bonus for staying here, only El Paso locatiion (or anywhere in southern new mexico/ el paso) that I can find with this option lately. The workout room is a bit of a dungeon and as a runner where El Paso is intimidating to run in, this is a bit of a downer, but all in all a nice hotel for the value.

Pros: location, staff, cleanliness

Cons: Difficult to navigate to/from once near, workout room

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2008

My colleague and I booked this hotel at the last minute because the other lodging we had was, to say the least, substandard. What a treat HI Express was! It is centrally located in El Paso, and about 30 seconds away by car to I-10, so it's very easy to get on the interstate from here--convenient if you're working from Fort Bliss and also convenient if you want to venture downtown after work for a bite to eat or to go to one of the musuems or go shopping--those features are all within walking distance of the hotel.

The hotel staff was VERY nice and ALWAYS professional. Every staff member I ran into greeted me warmly and asked if I needed anything. When the business center was full, Alex at the front desk went out of his way to get me my boarding pass, and let me use the front desk's computer to print the boarding passes out. Right when we checked in, one of the clerks called my hotel room and asked if I had everything I needed in the room.

The hotel rooms were very nice and comfortable, especially when you can get one that has the microwave and refrigerator in it. The bedding was clean and modern (no horrific 1970s bedspread) and the room was spotless every single day I stayed there. In the mornings, the hotel has a breakfast bar with different items every day so you won't get tired of eating the same food, and the quality is pretty good as well--cheesy omlettes (yum!), gooey cinnamon rolls, good coffee, fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc. In the afternoon there are delicious cookies at the front desk and on Wednesday nights they have a nice manager's reception with free drinks and hors d'ouvers, although when I was there the hotel was serving a free full dinner for guests.

If you want to get a work-out in, there is a small fitness room with an elliptical trainer, a recumbent bike, and two treadmills. All of the equipment is fairly new, which is nice.

The only issue I had with the HI Express was that my wireless internet never worked, but there is internet on the computers in the business center, although the business center is small. However, that glitch was minor in comparison to all of the other amenities.

I would definitely stay here again when I am in El Paso.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Foodie26
Reviewed 11 September 2008

This hotel is right on the edge of downtown and is easy to walk all over the area-even into Juarez. It has a nice SW look and is what you would expect from this chain. A couple of door showed signs of battle fatigue but still would close. It is clean and everyone is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sliphorn
Reviewed 17 August 2008

This was the first time I stayed at this hotel. The hotel is located right off I-10 in downtown El Paso and I basically picked this hotel based on the location only. Upon check in I found out that the staff is very motivated and friendly. The hotel puts together a wonderful happy hour for all guests between 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. with excellent Mexican food, deserts, beer and wine.
I would have to say that this was one of best happy hour presentations I have seen at a hotel and this sure beats places like Embassy Suites.

The other things that stood out were the very comfortable bed, nice linens, a squeeky clean bathroom and a working and fast internet connection in the room. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank TX1969
Reviewed 14 May 2008

I stayed at the Holiday Inn El Paso over the week for a business trip. This hotel is better than the average Holiday Inn Express. They have a driver that can take you to the border and pick you up, as well as take you to the airport. He was more than willing to help you anytime within reason (before 11). The hotel also had a good gym, which is hard to find nowadays in most Holiday Inn Expresses. Overall, a great hotel near the business district.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business