“Excellent food & service”

Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
Ranked #56 of 439 Restaurants in Ventura
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Anacapa St.
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Visiting from Chicago, was referred to place by local friends. When arrived at 5:00 only few people at bar for happy hour. Before you know it the place was full. Also one man band was excellent, we both had steak and was very good, everything was excellent would highly recommend. Also great happy hour, give it a try.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband surprised me by taking me to Prime for our Valentine's day date. The ambiance was warm and elegant, and I didn't feel overdressed in my red cocktail dress. Our waiter, Bill, was so friendly and helpful, and paced our meal perfectly. We ordered the 4 course meal, and everything from the appetizers...bacon wrapped dates, to the salads, to the entree and side dishes were delectable! My black bourbon peppercorn prime rib was fantastic, as was my husband's new york steak. We loved the live music...very fun and romantic. The evening was perfect from beginning to end! We will definitely be returning!

1  Thank jcdiva
Reviewed 5 February 2014

IF YOU ARE A SINGLE DINER, DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT. I've been to this place three times, and have only managed to get them to serve me one glass of wine.

On the first visit, I stood at the door for 6 minutes and was totally ignored, so I left. On the second, I stood at the door for 3 minutes, then had to wait while a party of four who came in AFTER was me seated first. Finally, after being seated, I sat at the table for 7 minutes with no service, so I left. The final time, I was seated quickly, then ignored for 4 minutes. After calling a server over, I was served a glass of wine. I waited for a server to come over and take my order for another 5 minutes, but noone came, so I left AGAIN.

BTW - These were not peak hours. In all three cases, it was just after dinner rush (8-9pm). Also....in all three cases...the staff was either: standing around, chatting with people at the bar, tapping away on their phones, or hiding in the back.

Now, before any assumptions are made: I'm an average-looking, nicely-dressed woman in her late 40's who enjoys dining solo. I've been in the restaurant & bar business for 33 years, everything from fast food to fine dining. I've been a server, a bartender, and a trainer, so you could say I'm pretty familiar with the workings of a restaurant. I'm patient and courteous to servers, and tip on average 30-40%....even more for exceptional service.

As a single diner, I'm used to being crapped on at a certain level....at least until people get to know me....but my experience at Prime was absolutely RIDICULOUS. This is a lazy, clueless staff who doesn't give a damn, and management who is either unaware of the problem, or doesn't give a damn themselves.

All I can say is, if you are dining alone, AVOID THIS PLACE. Stick to Mastro's, Lure, The Ranch House, and Zack's where they won't treat you like a leper.

3  Thank micmaster1
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Super good chicken parm. HUGE portions and most of the food is served family style. Great wine list, and mixed drink selection. There deserts are amazing. Creme Brulee was probably the best I have ever had. Its easy to get a reservation, we went half an hour early and got seated right away.Only slight draw back is how loud the restaurant can get when its packed.Granted there was a work convention going on and everyone in that party was smashed, which I think was mostly the cause of the noise.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

sometimes the meals are wonderful, sometimes not so much.
good menu, good service, medium/expensive prices, bar has good drinks. good for a date night.