Cliff House Inn on the Ocean
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Comfort Inn Ventura Beach(Ventura)(Great Value!)
US$137
ComfortInn
US$178
US$152
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura(Ventura)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$178
US$163
  • Beachfront
US$91
US$88
US$110
US$107
Ventura Beach Marriott(Ventura)(Great Value!)
US$190
US$153
  • Pool
US$165
Travelocity
All reviewsshoals restaurantlounge chairssanta barbarastar viewcontinental breakfastwaves crashingrestaurant food ishard boiled eggsgreat poolan older hotelbottom floorbike pathsmall hotelparking lotchannel islandssurfrincon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had one night on our way to SF. Yes it is a very old construction but who cares. if you have the ocean in front of you, a little swimming pool and a nice company you don't check how old is the place. therefore it depends what are you looking for while traveling.
the breakfast was enough. the price was fair and the view was wonderful.
who knows when but we might visit again one day.
telavivian

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I wanted to surprise my husband for his 50th birthday and booked their "Romance Pkg" in room 22 for 8/22/13. I have never stayed in a worse hotel in my life. The rug was filthy, light bulbs burned out, miniblinds broken and non functional, broken down mattress, but the worst was the BUG INFESTED BED. We hardly slept all night trying to figure out if there was too much bleach in the linens or if something was was making us itch/scratch all night long. When we finally got up at 5a.m. we both had BITES all over our legs, arms and body, so we left after we had some of their "continental breakfast" I called when we got home and told the desk clerk how horrible our stay was and the bugs, she said the owner "Sandy" would call. I'm still waiting...........

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 22
4  Thank dweck2013
Reviewed 14 August 2013

we spent 3 nights here in July. The room was basic but it was a 2 queen bed and had a separate bedroom for the one of the beds (an added bonus for our teenage daughter). There was a fridge but no tea and coffee facilities- this would be my only room complaint.
Breakfast was good- but a little slow in coming at times if they ran out of anything they did not really notice and had to be told every time, but for the price it was good.
The location was handy, very close to the road- but was not disturbed by this as other people have stated, all we could hear was the sea.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Yeah, I'm a fan.

And yeah, everything you've read on the negative side is true: The place is old. And the rooms are odd. One room might have a TV from 1982, while next door is a brand new flat screen and beautiful bed set (room 10 = crap, room 9 is where you want to be).

But let's take a moment to focus on the positive.

First, the view. Hello, you can throw a rock into the ocean from any room in the hotel. I do believe Charlie Sheen would have called that #winning not long ago. The rate is great- I don't know anywhere else you can find a room that opens up to the water at the price you pay here. The staff is nice and for us, the isolation was just what we craved.

Here are the downs:

1. Wifi doesn't reach about half the hotel. We were in room 10, got no wifi. Moved to room 8, and got it if we say in the right corner of the room.
2. While the staff on site was great, we were bummed with service prior to. I had written in mentioning it was our honeymoon. Now don't get me a wrong, an upgrade would have been nice, but really, I was just looking to not get stuck in the worst room of the class I paid. Turns out, we got stuck in the worst. Who cares about the no wifi, we got 1 of the 2 rooms where you can barely see the ocean because the staircase to the third floor blocks your view. So avoid rooms 10, and I believe the other was 2.
3. Our move to room 8 wasn't better. Sure, the view was there, but 8 and 9 are next to some sort of air conditioning mechanism which effectively dulled out the noise of the waves in our room.

So is the place old? Yep. Does the food underwhelm? No doubt. Does everything work? Most things actually don't. And yet, that view, that beautiful view, with the ability to just sit outside and read all day and do it without breaking the bank- that gets this place 4 stars hands down. So if this doesn't sound like your place, shell out probably double if not more and enjoy that view and improved amenities elsewhere. Otherwise, this is a great spot for the thrifty and ocean obsessed!

4  Thank Patrick F
Reviewed 6 August 2013

After 5 nights in Laguna Beach we chose to spend three nights at The Cliff House, where we can always sleep deeply. I can't imagine going to the California coast without spending some time here. It is hard to find an affordable place to stay where you can be lulled asleep by the sound of the surf. The pool is warm and clean. The lounge chairs facing the ocean are always relaxing. We opted not to eat here this time because it was so cold (in August!). Hats off to those who did. It would be hard to find a more perfect location for dining. We are grateful that the Cliff House remains, and remains pretty much the same, after all these years. We will keep coming back.

Room Tip: I think the rooms are all good.
1  Thank Evrydayman2