“Very nice place with the Pacific Ocean at your door.”

Cliff House Inn on the Ocean
Ranked #1 of 9 Ventura B&B and Inns
Albion, Illinois
“Very nice place with the Pacific Ocean at your door.”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

If you are looking for a chain hotel, this place is not for you. But if you would like to stay some where peaceful with amazing views, then this is the place. With the Pacific right at your finger tips this place was very relaxing and peaceful. I saw guys and gals surfing and boogie boarding in the area. When the tide goes down, you can climb down a few big rocks and check out the tide pools. The views from the hotel are amazing. The staff was very helpful and nice. The drive to the hotel was really pretty too. The restaurant was very good too.

We stayed there in March and stayed in room 24. In the room you have an awesome view of the ocean and in the smaller bedroom you have a view of the mountains, highway, and train tracks. So, if you are a railfan that is sweet to have the ocean and trains. You can't hear any train noise from your room. Room 24 has three other windows that you can open and get the ocean cross breeze in your room. The room had wicker furniture, I thought some newer furniture would have made it awesome (sleigh or four poster/canopy bed would have set this room off). One morning we got to watch a dolphin swim by from room window! If you need a hair dryer, ironing board, etc. you will need to ask for it at the front desk.

Now the disapointments. We had to drive to Ventura every day during our stay for a wedding. So, we had to deal with the road constuction at the Bates exit daily. They also the had Bates exit closed as too, we had to drive on up to the 150 exit. It wasn't that much farther, but very anoying since we was driving alot. Not only is the road constuction hurting the drive to the hotel, it is hurting the parking. When we stayed, they took about half of the parking away from the hotel. We came back to the hotel a couple of times with no where to park, very frustrating. Cliff House told us they should be done with the constuction in front of the hotel in two weeks. Although our stay was nice and we enjoyed the hotel. Some things that could be inproved on is the breakfast. It had toast, fruit, begals, and two kinds of healthy cereal. At the very least a waffle maker or some different kinds cereals would of been nice. The hotel needs some updating and some newer furniture. The WiFi was spotty.

Over all, we enjoyed our stay and would stay there again. Ventura is olny about 8-12 min away if you need anything. If you don't want to leave the hotel (and you might not), grab some snacks in town.

Room Tip: If you don't plan on leaving the hotel, grab some snacks in the nearby town.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 61Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Montrose, California
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. We stayed for 2 nights. I chose the place specifically for its setting (somewhere private, next to the water). Hearing the ocean waves in the evening when going to bed and in the morning when waking up was pretty amazing. The best part was opening up the curtains every morning and seeing the sun shining and the ocean waves crashing against the rocks. The pool, even though we didn't use it, looked inviting and added to the aesthetics of the place.

The downsides involved the room itself, but I didn't expect much. We went with a deluxe queen, which simply meant bamboo (and slippery) floors and marble floors in the bathroom. The shower was small (as was the room itself) and its floor and ceiling definitely showed wear and tear. Our room was right next to the lobby area. I don't know what was on the other side of our wall, but in the evening and morning, we'd hear some sort of intermittent knocking noise, like a machine was running on the other side. Sometimes that interfered with sleep. Next time, we'll probably go with a standard room or one of the deluxe rooms. I'd also aim for a room on the top floor because we could hear footsteps every now and then. Pretty thin walls and ceiling.

The reviews about the turn into the hotel were spot on, too. Construction is still going on, so you'll have to exit Bates Road coming from 101 N, then merge onto the 101 S and exit Mussel Shoals. Careful with that exit. Make sure you slow down because it's a pretty sharp turn. I didn't have trouble merging back onto the 101 S, though, when we went into Ventura and on our way back to LA since the times we left the inn, the right lane wasn't busy. I can see that it would be tough if traffic was heavy. We heard construction early Monday morning, so if you're staying on the weekdays, expect to wake up to some construction noise.

This place has great service! We requested a refrigerator a week before our arrival and was told we'd have one. When we arrived, there was none, but the gentleman at the front desk searched the unoccupied rooms for one. He carried it to our room and set it up. It was a bit awkward, though, because the only 3-pronged plug in our room was in the bathroom area, but still, we were grateful for the refrigerator. I guess only some of the standard rooms had refrigerators.

Overall, our stay was relaxing. We only went out of the area once, so if you're not planning to head out, this is a nice place to settle yourselves. We ate at the Shoals the first night, and it was delicious! I wish they offered a hot breakfast, even if it was something you'd have to pay for, but the continental breakfast they offer for free was sufficient, and you get to eat it right by the ocean!

Room Tip: Room 7 was a bit noisy in the evening and morning. I'd aim for a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ontario, California
Reviewed 25 March 2014

So, as I am not unbiased about this location as my wife and I have been staying here since we started dating over 20 years ago (married 10 years now).... If you are looking for fancy, stay away.... if your looking for great amenities, not your place.... but if your looking for the best view and location for a reasonable cost. and like the sounds of the ocean crashing... lounging by the pool reading, this IS your place. Just know, that this is what the Cliff House is all about!

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, Rooms in the middle are the best unless you like the fancy ones on the en...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 7 February 2014

My husband and I were so looking forward to staying here for the night. We had some friends that told us about this place and that The Cliff House was running a special called the January Wave Special. They had a wonderful stay here and really enjoyed the restaurant. We made reservations to stay Monday, Jan. 27th and then we were going to stay in Ventura Harbor on Tuesday. When we arrived to check in, the nice, young lady at the counter, I believe her name was Jessica, told us that we may want to change rooms because of construction noise. She informed us that there was construction in the restaurant and it would be closed for the whole week. Well, our main purpose was to spend a relaxing evening at the Inn and enjoy the wonderful restaurant--not have to drive anywhere until the next day. Wish they would of called us to let us know what was going on. Cancelled our reservation and drove to Ventura Harbor to spend our two nights there. We were so disappointed, but had a great time anyway. Jessica said she would extend the "Special" for us through the end of March. Hope to make it, but next time will ask about any construction that may be going on.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BMWJeanne
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Near 80 degree temperatures on the Pacific Coast in January sent us looking for someplace new near the beach. In exploring the coastline on Google Earth just north of Ventura, I spotted the Cliff House Inn, located right on the ocean. After reading reviews on Trip Advisor, and viewing the photos, we decided to check it out. Because of road construction on PCH, you have to go past the hotel to the next exit, and then back track south to the hotel. I had spoken to Stacy to make the reservations, and she was on duty when we arrived. Much to both Stacy and my surprise, our room was ready for check-in just before noon. Our room on the 3rd floor was in the middle of the building with a magnificent view of the Pacific Ocean and the Channel Islands practically right at your feet. The hotel is on a south facing bay, so the sun travels from east to west right across the hotel, which makes for great sunrises and sunsets. The islands and high bluffs to the south give the place a South Pacific feel. The Shoals Island Grill has outside seating and enjoys steady traffic during lunch and dinner. My wife had the rib-eye steak, and I had the fish and chips, both of which were very good. I noticed the a lot of people were eating the pasta dishes, and the Cioppino (seafood stew), which I intend to try next time. Because it was January, the pool was not heated, and was frigid with the temps getting down into the 40's at night, but it is large and looks like it will be great for laps in the Summer. But like everything else at this hotel, the best part is the unobstructed view of the ocean that makes this hotel a winner.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Antelope Valley
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was our second stay at the Cliff House Inn. The first time, we splurged on a deluxe room that had a huge window facing the ocean, but this time we chose a standard room and were not disappointed, as all rooms have ocean views. Our first evening, we were even able to see dolphins swim by! Both nights, we slept with the window open and were lulled to sleep by the sound of crashing waves -- awesome! In the morning, you pull open the curtains and get to enjoy a beautiful ocean view as the sun rises. Breakfast was included -- the usual coffee/tea/juices as well as bagels, breads, pastries, cold cereal, hard-boiled eggs, and fresh fruit. There is a nice, poolside patio area for dining (also shared by the onsite restaurant) as well as oceanside lounge chairs -- where we spent many leisurely hours reading and just enjoying the view. As mentioned in other reviews, there were a few cons: proximity to Hwy 101 -- traffic and current road improvement noise at times; need to drive several miles to have other dining and activity options; no microwave in our room; beach access is not so easy. The staff were friendly, our room was clean and comfortable, and the Wi-Fi worked great. This is a beautiful location and we will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Highland, California
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I am a Californian and my wedded lover (wed to me) is from Austin, TX. He does not have much experience with the Pacific Ocean. I remembered this little place that I had come to in the past which allows the first over night experience to be wonderful all the way around. I found that it was just as good the second time around. Of course I got the "romance package" as that is the best deal with $25 off one of the dinners...delicious gourmet, well prepared, service was delightful.
One of the slight disappointments was that, through no fault of their own, there was road construction going on. Noisy and dusty, but that did not effect the enjoyment of the ocean waves and lovely weather. It was good to see that the upkeep at the place continues to go on.
The room was very clean, WiFi available and strong signal and service was wonderfully friendly and accommodating. I look forward to our next trip there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventura
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn
Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Ventura Beach Marriott
Ventura Beach Marriott
#5 of 23 in Ventura
Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria

Been to Cliff House Inn on the Ocean? Share your experiences!